Author Topic: What is Lara's problem? [PT Spoilers!]  (Read 19087 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: What is Lara's problem? [PT Spoilers!]
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2020, 04:27:55 PM »
I have no way of knowing for certain but I suspect this is the subplot that was created when they decided to split the book.  I doubt that Lara was suppose to be involved at all.  I can see Harry dragging a half dead Thomas to the island to save his life, but Lara coming along for the ride feels contrived. ?shrug?

If it was, I think it only confused things.  However one thing it did do was give Harry a reason to
to back to the island to retrieve a couple of things.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
No, I think the whole idea was having them fight in the island, so Lara has a grudge and a whole lot of knowledge about Harry's power.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2020, 04:34:51 PM »
No, I think the whole idea was having them fight in the island, so Lara has a grudge and a whole lot of knowledge about Harry's power.

Which when you think about it shouldn't have happened if Lara had asked more questions and if Harry had explained better.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2020, 04:46:11 PM »
Yes, but I insist, is not that they have much time. She chose to stay with Thomas and help him instead of chat with anyone.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »
Yes, but I insist, is not that they have much time. She chose to stay with Thomas and help him instead of chat with anyone.

Off page before the rescue or even on page, Harry could have explained and Lara should have asked more questions.  It is part of planning, what good is grabbing Thomas unless they had a good plan for keeping him safe from capture? 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2020, 05:30:21 PM »
Again, she chose to stay with Thomas, not chatting. She trusted Harry, that is why after what happened she feels so mad. She feels betrayed.
Missing you, Md 

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2020, 08:01:41 PM »
I don't think she was starving, but typically when someone is out of juice, they're exhausted and not capable of fighting/playing/continuing.  Which strikes me as odd given her presumed power level as White Queen.

I am not sure Lara is as personally/magically powerful as her political position suggests. To some extent that's true of the White Court overall, but more so in Lara's case. She hit Lord Raith when he was greatly weakened -- and a few years later, WN wiped out much of the leadership of the other White Court Houses.

I don't think Lara was the strongest WCV supernaturally, at least before WN -- and even now, Thomas (when uninjured and feeding) might be at least as strong.

On the other hand, even the "backwash" of Lara's full-power emotion-blast at the end of BR is pretty overwhelming. But Harry's never been hit by an equivalent blast from Thomas or a top-end Skavis or Malvora (except Vitto -- who was stronger, but Outsider-boosted so not comparable), so we can't compare.

EDIT: forgot about Vitto's attack

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2020, 08:14:03 PM »
Again, she chose to stay with Thomas, not chatting. She trusted Harry, that is why after what happened she feels so mad. She feels betrayed.

Yes, but she was there when the whole escape etc was planned.  Thomas was still under wraps, that was the time to ask questions and make sure there was no misunderstanding..

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2020, 08:18:05 PM »
I don't know if at that moment the plan was to go to the island.
Missing you, Md 

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2020, 10:07:31 PM »
Topping Thomas off and taking him to a place where he can be kept alive an not located is a great plan. Then there is an emp and they have to skip the topping off.
It is not out of character for any wizard not to explain how exactly they are going to do the magic stuff and Harry has always been good at keeping that vague.

I think Lara is really really really far from being papa wraith. She can beat him when he has been starved for 30? years. Imagine her or Thomas going without feeding at all for just one year. As I remember Papa wraith was immune to magic and could rip the life from someone with a kiss.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2020, 10:21:15 PM »
I am not sure Lara is as personally/magically powerful as her political position suggests. To some extent that's true of the White Court overall, but more so in Lara's case. She hit Lord Raith when he was greatly weakened -- and a few years later, WN wiped out much of the leadership of the other White Court Houses.

I don't think Lara was the strongest WCV supernaturally, at least before WN -- and even now, Thomas (when uninjured and feeding) might be at least as strong.

On the other hand, even the "backwash" of Lara's full-power emotion-blast at the end of BR is pretty overwhelming. But Harry's never been hit by an equivalent blast from Thomas or a top-end Skavis or Malvora (except Vitto -- who was stronger, but Outsider-boosted so not comparable), so we can't compare.

EDIT: forgot about Vitto's attack
I don't think Lara would gain power through worship or title or other indirect means, but we've heard about how the Wamps have been been expanding their influence ever since she took over.  She clearly strategizing for the future, but not increasing her own power level seems like an odd failure on her part while she's doing all this other work. 

Maybe she's taking a gentler approach than her father.  Maybe she's feeding a little bit from a lot of people rather than dropping dead bodies left and right, and that decreases her intake.

It just seems odd to me for her to be so weak. 

Topping Thomas off and taking him to a place where he can be kept alive an not located is a great plan. Then there is an emp and they have to skip the topping off.
It is not out of character for any wizard not to explain how exactly they are going to do the magic stuff and Harry has always been good at keeping that vague.

I think Lara is really really really far from being papa wraith. She can beat him when he has been starved for 30? years. Imagine her or Thomas going without feeding at all for just one year. As I remember Papa wraith was immune to magic and could rip the life from someone with a kiss.
But I guessi expect her to have felt a need to match her father's power level pre-curse as a prerequisite to the position she holds.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2020, 10:52:41 PM »
I don't know if at that moment the plan was to go to the island.

At the very least Harry told her he could place Thomas somewhere were he'd be safe and not tracked...  And she never asked where or how?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2020, 03:52:38 AM »
Last time she was on the island Harry wasn't officially Warden.
I don't know what that means.

Did Lara know what the island is and how it is supposed to work?

For me; the real question is, Why didn't Lara ask Harry specific questions about his plan to keep Thomas safe and hidden.
Harry and Lara didn't know Thomas was starving when they planned the rescue. From the way Lara talked, it sounded like she didn't expect Thomas to be able to recover.

The Skin Walker used this to torture Thomas. The process was to torture Thomas to the point of death and then feed him.
The situations can be distinguished. The Skin Walker knew what it was doing. It was torturing him to the point he could recover if he fed. It wasn't trying to kill him.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2020, 10:25:45 AM »
I don't know what that means.

It means that as of Turn Coat he could feel everything that went on on the island..  However not until Cold Days, did he understand that he could manipulate it and more to the point if he wanted,
ask Alfred to grab Mab and throw her in the slammer, and it was possible.

Since Lara didn't witness any of that in Turn Coat or was there in Cold Days, she wouldn't know any of the above.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »
Y'know what really confused me about Lara in PT?

The conversation at the end with Harry where she's like "I cannot comprehend your motives here". Bitch, they are literally the same as yours, He wants to save his fucking brother, it's not that goddamn hard.

Like, how does she think he's doing this to hold one over on her? Nobody that knows anything about Harry would buy that bluff. "Yes I, Harry Dresden, will totally hold my only brother's life as a hostage".

How are we supposed to believe there is any confusion here?!?!?