Author Topic: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]  (Read 28439 times)

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2020, 05:32:07 PM »
Murphy got her P-90 back after losing it in the water apparently.  Though that may have just been her being able to get another one.

That error dates back to Changes.

That has Harry being born around 1974, give or take, Star Wars came out in 1977.. So maybe as a three year old he remembers going to see it with his dad? 

I saw it around that age and can remember it (just shy of four), so sure.  It's worth noting that Harry says:

He took me to see Star Wars movies.

Butcher, Jim. Peace Talks (Dresden Files) (p. 268). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

This implies he also saw The Empire Strikes Back with his father. 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 05:41:37 PM by didymos »

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
I think 1975 works as a birth year, and 2000 as SF and the beginning of the series.  And it makes it easy to associate ##ASF with 20##. 

That makes Harry 25.5 in SF, and 39.75 in PT.  That still keeps him younger than Butters' early forties age (I think butters is getting younger as the series goes along).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2020, 05:52:45 PM »
This implies he also saw The Empire Strikes Back with his father. 

That makes a little more sense because he then would be around five. 

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2020, 05:55:51 PM »
Oh, here's another error:

“No,” she said. “Because I’m also the one who changed Thomas’s diapers, after his mother escaped our father. Dressed him. Fed him his meals. Taught him to read.”

Butcher, Jim. Peace Talks (Dresden Files) (p. 132). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Thomas was well out of diapers when Margaret left Lord Raith:

“God knows,” Thomas said. “All I know is that there was some sort of business between them. It developed into something else. Father was trying to snare her permanently, but she wound up being too strong for him to completely enthrall. She escaped him when I was about five. From what I’ve been able to learn, she met your father the next year when she was on the run.”

Butcher, Jim. Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, Book 6) (p. 166). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2020, 06:03:46 PM »
Oh, here's another error:

Thomas was well out of diapers when Margaret left Lord Raith:
I actually talked to a friend with kids about that, and she said it's not abnormal to have kids still in diapers (or more likely pull-ups) at 5+.  A kid with abandonment issues from his mom leaving and his dad being a psychotic monster might still be using them.  But I can also see where Lara might have done it prior to Margaret's departure, and is just conflating both.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2020, 06:37:51 PM »
I actually talked to a friend with kids about that, and she said it's not abnormal to have kids still in diapers (or more likely pull-ups) at 5+.  A kid with abandonment issues from his mom leaving and his dad being a psychotic monster might still be using them.  But I can also see where Lara might have done it prior to Margaret's departure, and is just conflating both.

Not in diapers, having accidents maybe or wetting the bed, I think pull ups would be a stretch.. However if that is true, it may account for Papa Raith's dismissal of  Thomas as a threat to him.  I seem to remember Thomas saying that his father didn't kill him off like he did his other sons because he saw him as a bit of a wimp.  Papa Raith strikes me as the type of jerk who wouldn't be understanding of a son's potty issues..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2020, 06:59:48 PM »
Murphy got her P-90 back after losing it in the water apparently.  Though that may have just been her being able to get another one.
I would expect her to get another one. Kincaid chose that weapon because it especially suited her, he probably has extensive skill in that kind of thing. Karrin has the contacts to get all kinds of weapons so she would get another one.

It is not an unique weapon. It is something she really wants to have. She has the contacts. She gets them.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2020, 01:13:04 AM »
Harry’s world is not our world, so Star Wars may have come out a few years earlier and the Notre dame fire occurred at a different time. It’s like our world with supernatural elements added, but not our world.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2020, 01:21:31 AM »
It close enough to our world to have Star Wars and there have been several slips as the time passes faster here then in the Dresden Files.  This is being talked about in Reddit.  Jim is of the opinion that the fans know the books better then he does.  Frankly I bought in to having Indiana Jones hide on a submarine in broad daylight in the Med, small continuity errors bother me only in the sense that maybe Jim doesn't seem to really care.

Offline Hagbard Celine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2020, 03:20:42 AM »
  I don't remember any spoken of, I still remember that horrible day with real sadness.  He also said that his father took him to see Star Wars.  That came out in 1977, Harry was supposedly six when his father died.  Does anyone remember the year Harry was born?  Because that would put him closer to fifty than his early forties.

Maybe some of you weren't around, yes,  Star Wars first arrived in 1977, but it played in theaters for the entire time before Empire came out, and even then, you could still find it in theaters.  It was still in wide release in 1982!  I remember watching both Star Wars and Empire as a double feature before Jedi came out.  Then many theaters were running all three, staggered so you could see them all back to back to back.  So there's no inconsistency there. 
Never Whistle While You're Pissing!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2020, 03:29:25 AM »
It close enough to our world to have Star Wars and there have been several slips as the time passes faster here then in the Dresden Files.  This is being talked about in Reddit.  Jim is of the opinion that the fans know the books better then he does.  Frankly I bought in to having Indiana Jones hide on a submarine in broad daylight in the Med, small continuity errors bother me only in the sense that maybe Jim doesn't seem to really care.

Which isn't a very pleasant thought..
Maybe some of you weren't around, yes,  Star Wars first arrived in 1977, but it played in theaters for the entire time before Empire came out, and even then, you could still find it in theaters.  It was still in wide release in 1982!  I remember watching both Star Wars and Empire as a double feature before Jedi came out.  Then many theaters were running all three, staggered so you could see them all back to back to back.  So there's no inconsistency there.

Oh yes, especially in a large city..  Malcolm died when Harry was about six, it is still cutting things pretty close.

Offline BadHumours

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2020, 01:06:27 PM »
Not exactly a continuity error, but Harry attributes the Hounds of Tindalos to H.P. Lovecraft. They were created by Frank Belnap Long and later incorporated into the Lovecraft Mythos by August Derleth.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2020, 01:59:11 AM »
It doesn't give the year though, Harry was born twenty six years before Storm Front, but it doesn't give the year that Storm Front takes place in.
It gives at least a couple of years and the reasons for and against them.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a five year old wearing diapers who didn't have severe issues, but my mom doesn't think it would be that unusual. (My mom has more experience with young kids below the age of 6 or 7 than anyone I've ever met including kindergarten teachers and pediatricians).

Not exactly a continuity error, but Harry attributes the Hounds of Tindalos to H.P. Lovecraft. They were created by Frank Belnap Long and later incorporated into the Lovecraft Mythos by August Derleth.
Yeah. (1)Harry mentioning the Notre Dame fire, (2)Lara saying she changed Thomas's diapers after he was five, (3)Murphy's P-90, and (4)the Hounds misattribution can all be easily explained. 1. Harry "wrote" this or all the case files well after the fact. 2. Either Thomas or Lara was wrong about the timeline. 3. Murphy got a second one, or depending on when it reappeared, maybe it washed up on Demonreach after Harry had claimed it. 4. Harry (or Jim) was just conflating Lovecraftian with Lovecraft.

Those are all things that people do, so it wouldn't be nonsensical if it was just that kind of mistake in text. The whole "it's all written by Harry years after the fact" theory can make a lot of the continuity errors go down smoother.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2020, 03:39:44 AM »
Harry mentions Listen. Didn't Listen die in Bombshells?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2020, 03:56:42 AM »

I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a five year old wearing diapers who didn't have severe issues, but my mom doesn't think it would be that unusual. (My mom has more experience with young kids below the age of 6 or 7 than anyone I've ever met including kindergarten teachers and pediatricians).

Five year olds have "accidents," hold it too long, or shy about using a strange bathroom type thing, they don't need to wear diapers for that.  Five year olds can be bed wetters, now some might put night diapers on them for that, but I know of no parent of a bed wetter who admitted to doing that.   If a five year old needs to wear diapers during the day, which means they have little or no control at all, that sounds like a physical problem and in need of a good urologist..  If they are doing it out of spite or fear or some other reason then they need a good child psychologist.