Author Topic: Chapter 6 Drop  (Read 11803 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 6 Drop
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2020, 10:35:00 PM »
What? Mab does not know about Thomas and Harry being brothers?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2020, 12:56:52 AM »
What? Mab does not know about Thomas and Harry being brothers?

We don't know (as far as I recall), but I'm not sure that Lara knows either. The White King *didn't* pick up on it (it was Arianna), and I don't think Harry goes around telling people that.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2020, 01:24:51 AM »
We don't know (as far as I recall), but I'm not sure that Lara knows either. The White King *didn't* pick up on it (it was Arianna), and I don't think Harry goes around telling people that.
From Small Favor.
“Nonsense,” Mab said. “If you died, I would simply recruit your brother. He would be well motivated to seek revenge upon your killers.”

A little cold feeling shot through me. I hadn’t realized that Mab knew who he was.
If Lara knows it hasn't been in the text.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2020, 01:52:57 AM »
Lara knows because in Changes Thomas said that knowing there was a chance that the blood ritual would kill her would be a plausible excuse for him going in Harry's help. She needs to know that Maggie is Thomas's family.
I was asking if Mab knows, I am pretty sure she knows because Lea was very familiar with Maggie LeFay life.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2020, 01:56:13 AM »
Mab knows about Thomas.  She brought it up in chapter 46 of Small Favor, after Harry talks with Uriel.  She said if Harry were killed she would offer the winter night position to his brother.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2020, 01:56:38 AM »
Lara knows since Blood Rites. It is part of the hold they have on each other. She knows about Thomas and he knows about her father.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2020, 02:06:51 AM »
Mab knows about Thomas.  She brought it up in chapter 46 of Small Favor, after Harry talks with Uriel.  She said if Harry were killed she would offer the winter night position to his brother.
Thank you! I thought so-
Missing you, Md 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2020, 07:23:17 AM »
Either Lara knew about Eb and Thomas or was in a position to know due to her proximity to Thomas, her father and Maggie Snr. This info would only have become useful in obtaining a favour once Lara was aware of Harry being offered the position of Winter Knight, and capable of winning a favour from Mab. Mab wouldn’t have made a secret of the offer, so as to elicit exactly this type of information being offered and to get leverage over Harry. It worked, shading Harry towards Mab offer.

Mab GIVING information about Demonreach to Lara though, may have resulted in Lara inadvertently wasting a favour. In technical terms Lara may have ‘had her doughnut’, on that one. Lara may end up banking on a favour she has already used.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2020, 01:48:49 PM »
Either Lara knew about Eb and Thomas or was in a position to know due to her proximity to Thomas, her father and Maggie Snr. This info would only have become useful in obtaining a favour once Lara was aware of Harry being offered the position of Winter Knight, and capable of winning a favour from Mab. Mab wouldn’t have made a secret of the offer, so as to elicit exactly this type of information being offered and to get leverage over Harry. It worked, shading Harry towards Mab offer.

Mab GIVING information about Demonreach to Lara though, may have resulted in Lara inadvertently wasting a favour. In technical terms Lara may have ‘had her doughnut’, on that one. Lara may end up banking on a favour she has already used.

I doubt that Mab could give Lara that much information about Demonreach, even if she wanted to, that is in the hands of it's Warden and Alfred.  So given that, it may not be considered a "favor."  Knowing Mab and her four dimensional chess, she may have given Lara a pass on this for her own reasons.

Lara plays her own version of four dimensional chess, I wouldn't be shocked if she turns out to be the one who was behind the assassination attempt by Thomas.  Knowing Thomas might not be able to pull it off.   As insurance she is calling in a favor from Mab to "sanction"  the rescue attempt they both know Harry would try anyway, spreading the risk and giving Harry a little cover as well.  Mab might even be in on the plan from the get go, the only one not in on it, is Harry.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2020, 02:02:14 PM »
What reason would Lara have to assassinate The Merlin or other Senior Council Member? Except for the knowledge that Luccio may have given him, about Thomas mother, but the Merlin may already be using this knowledge to get rid of Harry, so Thomas was intending to assassinate the Merlin, but the Merlin was already trying to set Thomas up to look as a potential assassin and bait for Harry.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
What reason would Lara have to assassinate The Merlin or other Senior Council Member? Except for the knowledge that Luccio may have given him, about Thomas mother, but the Merlin may already be using this knowledge to get rid of Harry, so Thomas was intending to assassinate the Merlin, but the Merlin was already trying to set Thomas up to look as a potential assassin and bait for Harry.

What reason?  I guess that is what we are about to find out in Peace Talks.  For that matter what reason would Thomas have?  Only one I can think of is he made a Faustian bargain with someone to keep Justine and their child safe from the Hunger.  It could be he made that bargain with Mab, or Lara made that bargain on his behalf.  Then the question becomes, who does Mab want dead?  And
it would fit with her four dimensional game of chess as well.  She wants someone on the Council dead, she may even have a good reason to want him or her dead.. However to keep a level of "plausible deniability"  she cannot order Harry to do it.  And further if it was a Council member Harry would fight her on it..  So she makes a deal with Thomas, enter Lara, who will want to save her brother so, more favors asked for and granted, and Harry finds himself a pawn in a dirty game to do what he would have tried anyway, save his brother.

Actually if you go by what is taking place in the first six chapters, someone wants this member dead, and Harry is being set up to take the fall, which Mab is trying to prevent.

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2020, 07:23:37 PM »
That exchange between Lara and Mab makes me wonder how Harry's relationship with demon reach has changed him, and to what degree Harry can use power from Demon Reach when he isn't on the island.

Harry's power was showing green effects all throughout Skin Game.  I think there has also been at least one instance of his staff glowing green when he runs power through it as well now. 

I find it interesting that Bonea has green fire eyes and was inside him for him awakening the island.  She might know more about the island and its power then he does.

The question I was waiting for Harry to ask was, "What if she asks me to break your accords?" but he was too dumb to ask that.  I wonder if there could be a favor exchange going on as part of this book - Mab asks Lara to get someone gacked and she uses Thomas for the job earning Mab's favor, then uses said favor to get Harry to get Thomas off the hook for said gacking….

Offline edf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2020, 09:51:10 PM »
The question I was waiting for Harry to ask was, "What if she asks me to break your accords?" but he was too dumb to ask that.  I wonder if there could be a favor exchange going on as part of this book - Mab asks Lara to get someone gacked and she uses Thomas for the job earning Mab's favor, then uses said favor to get Harry to get Thomas off the hook for said gacking….

Mab essentially did answer that:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2020, 04:34:57 AM »
Yes, that was clear enough, and remember Mab cannot lie.
Missing you, Md 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2020, 08:15:03 AM »
Mab will therefore hold Lara responsible for the misuse of Harry in breach of the Accords, not Harry Lara should know this. It means that Harry will likely be asked to act in breach of the Accords, but he will figure out some way to turn the situation around. This is why I like the “set up” scenario, if Harry exposes that it is a set up, then neither he nor Lara have breached the Accords, it is the person responsible for the set up who would be held responsible by Mab.