Author Topic: Chapter 5 Drop  (Read 24666 times)

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 5 Drop
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2020, 12:32:17 AM »
Dina: I was thinking about that too. 
Arjan: While Harry and Marcone aren't friends, Harry has no reason to want to little girl to be in a coma.

My best guess is that Harry either forgot, or couldn't find a way to get to Marcone that would keep the girl's existence a secret. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2020, 05:15:42 AM »
Arjan, Harry would not have done that for Marcone but for the girl (but yes, he would have known a grateful Marcone would be useful). My problem is, Harry could have totally forgotten for a while but then in a couple of days he would have remembered So there is a reason for not doing it then? I don't see one (at least, not yet)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2020, 06:08:03 AM »
Maybe he just didn't want Marcone to know that there was a half-dozen magical WMD's within easy reach?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2020, 06:17:33 AM »
To keep the shroud safe it is better to keep it on the island at least until Harry knows more about the artifacts. They are big and dangerous.

Marcone most likely does not know what Harry brought from Hades and Harry would like to keep it that way.

Bringing it out and let it work for three days might attract enemies. Anduriel might be watching for just such an occasion and powerful entities may be able to sense something. The whole thing is not without danger.

Harry is busy at the moment. Maggie is more important.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2020, 07:08:34 AM »
Oh yes, of course it is all Maggie
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2020, 08:47:23 AM »
To keep the shroud safe it is better to keep it on the island at least until Harry knows more about the artifacts. They are big and dangerous.

Marcone most likely does not know what Harry brought from Hades and Harry would like to keep it that way.

Bringing it out and let it work for three days might attract enemies. Anduriel might be watching for just such an occasion and powerful entities may be able to sense something. The whole thing is not without danger.

Harry is busy at the moment. Maggie is more important.

OTOH we know Anduriel can be blocked by sufficient power. Maybe he literally can't see those artifacts.

Though I suppose it's easy to imagine Harry just not risking it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2020, 11:35:49 AM »
OTOH we know Anduriel can be blocked by sufficient power. Maybe he literally can't see those artifacts.

Though I suppose it's easy to imagine Harry just not risking it.
  He cannot see them at Michael's place, nor if Mab is blocking him, I imagine he cannot see them on Demonreach either.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2020, 01:53:58 PM »
The Shroud of Turin isn't Harry's personal healing service.  It cheapens the idea of what it is, if you simply expect to lay it on someone and see them pop up and get back to it. Harry told Marcone that he didn't think the Shroud worked that way in Death Masks.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
  He cannot see them at Michael's place, nor if Mab is blocking him, I imagine he cannot see them on Demonreach either.
That is what Kringle said in Skin Game but he can see it being moved between those places so I think Nicodemus suspect or knows it is on the island.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2020, 04:08:03 PM »
The Shroud of Turin isn't Harry's personal healing service.  It cheapens the idea of what it is, if you simply expect to lay it on someone and see them pop up and get back to it. Harry told Marcone that he didn't think the Shroud worked that way in Death Masks.

Agreed, though if it could have helped the young woman Harry would have gone along with it.  Which he did, also saying he didn't think it worked that way.  That is what confused me because the impression given at the end of Death Masks is that was the real Shroud.  However it also makes sense since Harry or most on the planet didn't know that the real one was locked safely away in a vault in Hades.

I don't think it cheapens the idea of the Shroud as something that can heal, but it makes it too easy for Harry to heal Murphy. Actually he could have already have done so if it could be used, since it appears that her recovery is neither going as rapidly as hoped or be as complete as hoped.  Jim is setting something up with Murphy, if he follows his usual pattern, happiness and contentment won't be the end result.

Offline knightedbishop

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2020, 05:36:08 PM »
My vote is still for Murphy being an Einherjar. One, it’d be badass. Two, it allows her to live on while still dying and causing Harry to have loads of guilt. The Einherjar have been on screen for a long time, so I personally don’t feel her death would be cheapened by her ultimately coming back to fight in the BAT.

About the Shroud: I still don’t think it’s purpose is to heal. Remember, Hades’s exchange with Harry. The vault was an armory, and it exists to contain weapons of terrible power when they are not needed. I like the idea of the Shroud destroying the Nemesis infection. Healing, but in a way that hurts the Enemy.

I’d wager good money that Nicoodemus and Anduriel know Harry is the Warden of Demonreach. Anduriel is too well informed not to know. And there is no way the Denarians are going to step foot on Demonreach now that Harry has awoken it. If they think the coins are confining then they definitely won’t like a crystalline cell. The artifacts are safe until needed.

Speaking of Demonreach, Hades word choice with “containing” sparked my interest. Demonreach has the same purpose. To contain dangerous beings. As Alfred said, they are always dangerous, but locked up they have the least ability to act. Not saying there is any direct connection between Demonreach and the artifacts...but we know an apocalypse is coming. I suspect those locked up beings will get out somehow. And the weapons to fight them are now in circulation.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »
I believe if the Shroud could heal Nemesis, Mab would have asked Harry for it, unless there is a reason why she cannot use it and thinks that Harry needs to do something without knowing its power.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »
I sort of feel the weapons of the Crucifixion should be weapons for the fight for good against evil, rather than the fight of order against chaos. Sure, Heaven doesn't want the Gates to fall, but the fight there has been about Aesir, Fae and Wizards... while Heaven fights on the field of angels, demons, and souls.

As such just plain healing, or otherwise making a human able to reach the full potential of humanity, seems like a reasonable power for such items. If it must be a magical cure, curing black magic taint seems more reasonable, but then it would feel a bit duplicative of the blackstaff.

Perhaps it really is more of a ward against supernatural threats; when those threats are disease-based (as Nic did with the fake one) it will cure, when they're more direct, maybe it works more like Harry's shield bracelet.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2020, 09:00:24 PM »
My vote is still for Murphy being an Einherjar. One, it’d be badass. Two, it allows her to live on while still dying and causing Harry to have loads of guilt. The Einherjar have been on screen for a long time, so I personally don’t feel her death would be cheapened by her ultimately coming back to fight in the BAT.

I think it will take away from the series though.  Be careful for what you wish for,you may get it.  If she comes back as a Einherjar, she will no longer be Murphy, so what is the point of that?  I can see her working with her father with Uriel and we might see her apparition once in a while, while different, she'd still be Murphy. 

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2020, 03:08:41 AM »
Yes, it's so much better for her to die than change.  Truly, you have Murphy's best interests at heart when you push over and over for her to die.