Author Topic: Chapter 5 Drop  (Read 24954 times)

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 5 Drop
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2020, 06:50:02 PM »
  One of the things her fans seem to like the most is that Murphy is a simple vanilla human.  Making her suddenly Summer Knight or an Einherjar kind of goes against that, and her own religion as far as that goes.

See Sanya and Butters how much that matters for supernatural powers. Also, Murphy being catholic hasn't featured for quite some time into her character.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »
The Rudolph part is weird. I'm surprised nothing happened to him after being a pawn for the Reds in Changes.
That might be because Jim wanted to resolve it on screen. I know I want to read him getting his comeuppance. He's internal affairs, so CPD isn't likely to be investigating him, but we know a certain FBI agent who thinks he's dirty, and corruption cases is right up the FBI's ally.

Harry should have fed Rudolf to the Ick. I'm tired of the character.
:D

@Yuillegan: 5. The most straight forward way to heal is to transform damaged body parts into healthy body parts. To do this would take advanced medical knowledge. Way to much for Harry, but not to much for a wizard who focuses on healing. The big problem with that is it might run up against the second law of magic. One alternative is that Harry is looking, but hasn't said anything because he hasn't found anything, doesn't expect to, and doesn't want to give her false hope.

9. Don't talk to the cops. Innocent, guilty, whatever. You won't like the results. Murphy would know better and Harry should too. "Here's a picture of you from the day a guy got murdered. Why were you there?" If you're going to answer the question, do it with questions. "What day was it, what time was it, where was it?" Any other answer is basically saying "Yeah, I remember when and where I was when that guy died without reference to a date."

Agreed, maybe with a warrant?  Most likely they never asked the doctor.
A warrant is highly unlikely. I too think the cops were using a tried and true law enforcement tactic of lying.

And modern medicine still has a huge mortality rate despite all of our advances.
200,000 to 400,000 people a year die from medical mistakes. I'm not talking about "out best wasn't good enough," but "he died because he went to the doctor" mistakes. And that's probably not counting all the doctor's who start people off on pills that end up turning them into addicts who die. The numbers were from a John's Hopkins study and, I think, something from Harvard or some other ivy league school. So good point about the 1st law. Didn't even occur to me.

I think Murphy might end up making a Faustian bargain to get back in the game. Odin probably has the best prices. One doesn't have to be a Valkyrie or Einherjar to serve Odin or ask his favor. There's a chance Murphy could go to work for Monoc Securities as a vanilla mortal on the condition that she is healed.

I think we've all missed the most important part of IA's involvement. Somebody just went nuclear. They've involved mortals in a supernatural conflict. It'd be one thing if they were targeting Murphy to get at Harry. We've seen that sort of play at least twice before, not counting Changes where the perpetrator didn't live long enough to suffer the consequences. (Mavra in DB and the White Court in Jury Duty). Here, they're targeting Harry. Clearly part of the supernatural world and not the mortal world. We've heard that the masquerade is going to end. We've heard that it's starting to fray. Many have guessed this is the book for it.

Someone targeting Harry with IA makes me think it's even more likely this is where we're going.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2020, 08:54:36 PM »
@SpacedCowboy: Yeah, it's one of those things that's really irritating. And after Michael talked to him about it last book too! I get that IRL this stuff takes awhile to get rid of, but man, this is just getting to be too much. Also, she finds his chivalry endearing? Who are you and what have you done with Murphy?

With Rudolph I dunno, I can only think of a few options. I mean Harry and Murphy can be totally wrong about who it is, he could have switched hands w/o him knowing it, and even just a retcon. I don't think it's Marcone either, that feels counterproductive. Maybe it's the Fomor or Nicodemus even?

Yeah healing magic should have gotten a leg on modern medicine somewhere. Pretty disappointing that it hasn't.  Though I think it'd be fun to put Murphy and Harry at odds by making her the new Summer Knight. But yeah, not so fun since that would take away a great chunk of her agency. But yeah, if Butcher can't find a way to utilize her properly, then yeah, she'd probably die. Go out in a blaze of glory sure, but yeah probably die.

But yes Bob and Butters fixing that magic medicine issue right up would be amazing!

@Yuillegan: Yeah I'm not a fan of Rudolph mainly b/c he's so flat. It doesn't help that Harry keeps talking about the human power of denial. I read that line and went, 'op foreshadowing!'. Yeah, Harry can't really afford to have that sort of reaction anymore, especially since he's supposed to help keep the peace. Yeah, ok that's a good point about Nicodemus. I just picture the guy firing a rocket launcher at Harry's building, b/c at this point, he's got nothing to lose. But, hey maybe it's Mavra pointing cops at Harry and Murphy, she's done it before. Mind you it failed, but hey second time's the charm I suppose. That multiple hits, yeah we think alike in that regard.

2Yeah I'm like, no me gusta. Just too irritating for me. Agreed on 5, but that could be lessened by the fact that Harry has no idea what he's talking about.

I think we've all missed the most important part of IA's involvement. Somebody just went nuclear. They've involved mortals in a supernatural conflict. It'd be one thing if they were targeting Murphy to get at Harry. We've seen that sort of play at least twice before, not counting Changes where the perpetrator didn't live long enough to suffer the consequences. (Mavra in DB and the White Court in Jury Duty). Here, they're targeting Harry. Clearly part of the supernatural world and not the mortal world. We've heard that the masquerade is going to end. We've heard that it's starting to fray. Many have guessed this is the book for it.

Someone targeting Harry with IA makes me think it's even more likely this is where we're going.

That's very true. Maybe someone on the BC who got sick of Harry and has decided to do this on one of the most important supernatural events, prolly so they can oust Harry.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2020, 09:38:52 PM »
@Yuillegan: 5. The most straight forward way to heal is to transform damaged body parts into healthy body parts. To do this would take advanced medical knowledge. Way to much for Harry, but not to much for a wizard who focuses on healing. The big problem with that is it might run up against the second law of magic.

Yeah, I think this is a big part of the relative weakness of (mortal) healing magic - the Faerie seem to be much more capable.

At least "gross anatomy" repairs (as opposed to messing with cells and DNA etc.) don't really seem to be that hard - the Alphas can close wounds, and they're quite weak talents with fairly limited training. Sure, the Alphas are healing only themselves, and that's probably easier. But the gap between their power level and training and someone like Listens-to-Wind is pretty colossal.

But closing wounds, mending ligaments, etc. technically is transforming another's body. Maybe it would be OK under the Second Law since it's only returning them to their natural pre-injury state... but before TC the White Council's mental defense training was terrible. This might be the same issue - where study of an area is discouraged by the Council since it was seen as approaching the edges of the Laws too closely.

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2020, 09:47:58 PM »
You know, there is a possibility that we aren't talking about.  Jim has hinted that the government has at least a clue of what's going on.  We've seen evidence of this in Dog Men.  Maybe the feds are pushing the investigation, so they can make Murphy an offer she can't refuse.  Come work for us and this investigation goes away. Maybe Uncle Sam can hook Murphy up with a clinical trial of stem cell treatments for her injuries.  This idea would be cool because it keeps Murphy a vanilla mortal, brings her back to something like law enforcement, and it could add more tension to Harry's relationship to her and to his relationship with the council.  It might even fit the funeral line, what if her new job is so secret that they fake death. 

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2020, 10:12:14 PM »
I love that but...what is Dog Men? :o
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »
Thanks.  It was the last Dresden Files comic published by Dynamite.  It was readable, but if you missed it, I wouldn't rush out to buy it.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2020, 10:45:20 PM »
Ah, no, I did not read any comic. Thanks.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2020, 10:52:47 PM »
@Walter the skull: Ooooh, yeah that'd be great!
@Dina: Yeah, you're not missing much.

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2020, 10:59:25 PM »

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2020, 11:00:28 PM »

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2020, 11:05:36 PM »

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2020, 12:22:49 AM »
You know, there is a possibility that we aren't talking about.  Jim has hinted that the government has at least a clue of what's going on.  We've seen evidence of this in Dog Men.  Maybe the feds are pushing the investigation, so they can make Murphy an offer she can't refuse.  Come work for us and this investigation goes away. Maybe Uncle Sam can hook Murphy up with a clinical trial of stem cell treatments for her injuries.  This idea would be cool because it keeps Murphy a vanilla mortal, brings her back to something like law enforcement, and it could add more tension to Harry's relationship to her and to his relationship with the council.  It might even fit the funeral line, what if her new job is so secret that they fake death. 

Don't really see it myself. From what we know those guys think that all things from the magic side are equally in need of culling, and iirc we have a woj that they influenced things to shaft Murphy just for being friends with Harry. They probably consider her to have 'gone native' at this point.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:29:20 AM by forumghost »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »
See Sanya and Butters how much that matters for supernatural powers. Also, Murphy being catholic hasn't featured for quite some time into her character.

Like I said, they have none, they are still vanilla humans, but Murphy already rejected being a Holy Knight.   What is suggested for her,  Summer Knight, supernatural powers with the mantle or an Einherjar, a dead warrior.  If being a Holy Knight didn't fit her, then Summer Knight or Einherjar wouldn't, and would doom her being with Harry.

Offline GWPfark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2020, 11:01:33 AM »

No, Harry mentions the idea -- "getting Faustian" -- and Murphy shuts that down "firmly."

Murphy also has admitted to being lost. She is by nature a protector. That is the seeming role of the Summer Knight. Now, let be honest, it's not nice, but sometimes the police aren't either. Also, Murphy kind of exists as Harry's conscience. I am pretty sure Jim won't kill off two major supporting characters and he is playing up Murphys weakness. Jim is often foreshadowing. And remember the Sidhe can't lie. From Murphy's point of view, this is an opportunity to be there for Harry when needed, keep him from going to far off the deep end.

Now of course there will be a catch as well. And Harry and Murphy will suffer for it. But I fully admit I can be wrong. But this would be well within character. And a way Jim can keep Murphy in the story without being ineffective. Also from Summers point of view, Murphy is a master martial artist in a defense based martial art. She is tailor made for the job.
"By human standards, if she was any flakier you could pour milk on her and call her breakfast."