Author Topic: What changes with Battleground  (Read 5592 times)

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What changes with Battleground
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 08:55:43 PM »
@Mira: Oooh, I do like those metaphorical deaths, very cool. It's even got a basis in say 'Ghost Story'.
Tho, she might not have to have a Denarian be the one to fix her knee. Esp if it turns out humanity at large wants to fight against the supernatural, but that could be farther down the line.
Although, my initial idea of metaphorical death is that Murphy might have a fake death/funeral b/c she chooses an option that means she can go back to her old life.
@morriswalters: I do like the idea of Harry using the spear against Papa Raith. It'd be so awesome.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 05:07:48 PM »
... Of course one of those WoJ's says MW's perturbation comes into play ...

???
I don't recall this (at least, not phrased this way).
Can you expand, or cite?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »
And the original owner of the Blackstaff is quite perturbed that he no longer has it – he, she, it no longer has it, so that will come into play eventually.
Not specifically Mother Winter, but everyone pretty much agrees that it's Mother Winter.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 06:07:39 PM »
Not specifically Mother Winter, but everyone pretty much agrees that it's Mother Winter.

I used to be very firmly in this camp.

These days, I'm... flexible.
 ;)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 06:43:37 PM »
A lot of the stuff taken for granted around here lacks significant textual support, though Jim has given us quite a bit about the Blackstaff. I think the theory that it's Mother Winter's is better supported than a lot of other theories taken for granted.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 09:07:52 AM »
???
I don't recall this (at least, not phrased this way).
Can you expand, or cite?
Last page, reply #12

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 11:33:37 AM »
Last page, reply #12

That quote actually (is one of the bits that) has me doubting the Mother Winter theory as the source of the item:   Jim, his mouth running on automatic, said "he."  Then he backtracked.

It makes me wonder if the original owner of the blackstaff is more of a "he" than MW is...

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 02:20:38 PM »
Was it mentioned somewhere that the Blackstaff is a mantle? If so, and Eb dies, then Harry's the closest and best-prepared vessel for the mantle. So, maybe the WCouncil doesn't have a say in who gets it the staff...? Or, knowing he's going to die, Eb bestows it on Harry knowing that Harry will use it responsibly.

I don't think it's a mantle per se. WOJ is that Eb became Blackstaff sometime ca 1870, but he listed New Madrid as one of the disasters he caused with it. That's ~60 years earlier, so it seems to behave as an object he could borrow for a one-time job prior to assuming the office officially (unless NM was time travel AND mass murder, anyway).

Passing it between wizards seems like a question of who understands the burden and is willing to take it when the previous holder dies, combined with the Senior Council tolerating / trusting who has it enough not to have them beheaded. But they'd have to *really* oppose someone holding it to go for that option, because it's hard to execute one of their own to get the staff away from him without breaking it to the wider membership at large that they have an illegal wetworks man.

That's the normal scenario, though. Assuming the staff is indeed Mother Winter's, which I figure about 99.9% likely, it might well jump to the Winter knight in somewhat mantle-like fashion if he's nearby and Eb died. Which would actually be horrible, because Harry probably wouldn't be willing to cause the kind of collateral damage a Blackstaff occasionally must. Plus, Mother Winter wants it back, and he doesn't have a ton of latitude to keep stolen property from her.

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 12:13:48 AM »
I've suspected that the "Murphy's funeral" hint is a mislead of sorts... a Murphy may die, but we don't know that it's Karrin. IIRC, she's got a big family. One (or more) of her relatives might die as collateral damage if when a big fight kicks off, especially if they're in law enforcement. That could impact the choices she makes further down the line... but that's just a WAG. (My first one! Yay?)
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:40 AM »
Murphy is being set up to leave this mortal plane in my opinion..   

Ooooh...maybe she becomes one of the einherjar. (sp?) Personally, I love Murphy. She's a favorite. Maybe she levels up.

Cheers----Be safe.

B

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 02:47:19 AM »
Ooooh...maybe she becomes one of the einherjar. (sp?) Personally, I love Murphy. She's a favorite. Maybe she levels up.

Pretty sure Murphy's going to join TWG's team (maybe Uriel's division) if she dies but stays an active character; I don't think she'll join Vadderung.

Offline Larry Fowler

• Conversationalist
  • Best wishes to you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 11:27:58 PM »
How about.

1. The accords are no more.
    - A major power or major powers decide not to abide by the rules and either kill Mab or impose a crushing defeat upon her when she tries to enforce them.

2. The white council is no more.
    - The counsil has been had some serious losses over the years with the war against the red court, the trouble with the fomor and the damage caused by Peabody that group has been diminished.  A heavy blow to the senior council (let say Ancient Mai, Langtry and Eb are killed) could do away with the organization has it existed for centuries...

He who sees a mosquito land on his crouch, understands that violence does not solve every problem.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2020, 11:35:11 PM »
2. The white council is no more.
- The counsil has been had some serious losses over the years with the war against the red court, the trouble with the fomor and the damage caused by Peabody that group has been diminished.  A heavy blow to the senior council (let say Ancient Mai, Langtry and Eb are killed) could do away with the organization has it existed for centuries...

Rashid implied in TC that contending against the Council was on Harry's path at some point. I don't see them just ending because of losing some of the Senior Council. But if they lost some leaders and Cristos staged a coup over who's left? I could see that setting the stage.

Offline Larry Fowler

• Conversationalist
  • Best wishes to you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2020, 11:44:41 PM »
@Snark Knight

The scenario you are hinting to is even better. The council regroups around Critos and becomes a real nuisance which need to be confronted. That way the irony would be hard on Dresden. He ends fighting the council to uphold the legacy of the old council he reeled against for so long. :)
He who sees a mosquito land on his crouch, understands that violence does not solve every problem.