Author Topic: [Spoilers!] First chapter of PT  (Read 19419 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: [Spoilers!] First chapter of PT
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2020, 06:55:33 PM »
It's not a few exceptions. It's about 50/50, per the chapter.

Perhaps, but not a lot of children and their moms running about the Raith household either as per the whole series..  I can think of only one "child" ever mentioned and nothing of her mother.

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2020, 07:24:07 PM »
   Perhaps, but not a lot of children and their moms running about the Raith household either as per the whole series..  I can think of only one "child" ever mentioned and nothing of her mother.

It's not "perhaps". That's what the text says:

He swallowed. “According to the family records, just over fifty percent either don’t survive the delivery or die shortly after.”

As to not a lot of moms, most of Raith's children were born a long time ago.  They'd be dead of natural causes if they survived. As to Inari's mother, we simply don't know.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2020, 11:29:04 PM »
As to not a lot of moms, most of Raith's children were born a long time ago.  They'd be dead of natural causes if they survived. As to Inari's mother, we simply don't know.

Did they?  No one else seems to have had any children either.

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2020, 09:21:55 AM »
Did they?

Maybe. Maybe they died of disease. Maybe Raith ate them all up later.  We just don't know.  All we do know is about 50 percent of them survived having a baby vamp.

No one else seems to have had any children either.

And we know WCVs have very low fertility, so I see no problem here.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2020, 09:49:44 AM »
Maybe Raith ate them all up later. 
Very likely. Raith wanted to indoctrinate and control his children in a very specific way. Mothers would only complicate things.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2020, 01:46:35 PM »
Very likely. Raith wanted to indoctrinate and control his children in a very specific way. Mothers would only complicate things.

Question is,  other than Raith, who else fathered children in House Raith?   I believe early on it was strongly hinted that Lord Raith eliminated his male children.   Thomas has managed to escape most of those attempts, which makes me wonder if Margaret's curse has anything to do with that?  But aside from Thomas I don't recall any other male members being mention regardless of who may have fathered or mothered them in House Raith. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »
Question is,  other than Raith, who else fathered children in House Raith?   I believe early on it was strongly hinted that Lord Raith eliminated his male children.   Thomas has managed to escape most of those attempts, which makes me wonder if Margaret's curse has anything to do with that?  But aside from Thomas I don't recall any other male members being mention regardless of who may have fathered or mothered them in House Raith.
Madrigal is first mentioned as a cousin of Thomas in blood rites:

"I don't know," he said. "Guess I can do what my cousin Madrigal does: find some rich girl." He grimaced. "I don't know what to do."

So somebody else fathered the twins Madrigal and Madeline.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »
Madrigal is first mentioned as a cousin of Thomas in blood rites:

"I don't know," he said. "Guess I can do what my cousin Madrigal does: find some rich girl." He grimaced. "I don't know what to do."

So somebody else fathered the twins Madrigal and Madeline.

Exactly, but they belong to a different House, don't they?  I mean while they are all White Court Vamps, there are differences.  The House of Lord Raith feeds off of emotions related to sex, the House that Madrigal and Madeline belong to if I remember correctly feeds off of fear.   While the term "cousin" means they are related, but to what degree?  Close, as in first or second, or is it more distant as in still related but it is several generations removed.   So was Madrigal and Madeline's father or mother a sibling of Lord Raith? Thus making them a close relation to Thomas or first cousin.. Or does it go back further as in perhaps a great great grandfather of Lord Raith, they'd still be related to Thomas, could loosely be called cousins, but not all that related.  It could account in the differences in what their demon feeds upon.. However it tells us very little about fertility and their breeding habits.. 

The information Thomas gives us in the chapter is 1] he made an assumption that he was most likely 
sterile.   Why would he make that assumption?  Logical to assume because most of his House or even White Court Vamps in general are..  However because obviously his father was fertile, he and Justine apparently used birth control.. 2] That Justine has a 50/50 chance of survival because the demon feeds off of the mother during pregnancy..  So half the the mothers die on average, do their babies and their demons die along with them?  If they do, that would severely limit the number of members in the House.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 05:57:40 PM by Mira »

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2020, 05:59:26 PM »

Exactly, but they belong to a different House, don't they?  I mean while they are all White Court Vamps, there are differences.  The House of Lord Raith it is all about sexual emotions, the House that Madrigal and Madeline belong to if I remember correctly feeds off of fear.

No, Madrigal just hung out with Malvoras. He and his sister's surname was Raith:

Thomas grinned, but it didn’t touch his eyes. His gaze never left Crane. “Have you ever met my cousin, Madrigal Raith?”

Butcher, Jim. Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8 ) (p. 218). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Also, that guy Barrowill from Bigfoot on Campus, despite the name, was also apparently a member of House Raith:

“I recognize you,” I said pleasantly to Barrowill. “You were at the Raith Deeps when Skavis and Malvora tried to pull off their coup. Front row, all the way on one end in the Raith cheering section.”

Butcher, Jim. Working for Bigfoot . Subterranean Press. Kindle Edition.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:19:43 PM by didymos »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2020, 06:10:30 PM »
Madrigal and Madeline are house Raith. Madeline feeds the same way as the other Raiths but Madrigal had changed his feeding habits and told Thomas he should do the same in Proven Guilty.

Madrigal was a Raith who was consorting with Malvora:

“I doubt my father cares,” he replied. “He wouldn’t mind losing a nephew. Particularly not one who has been consorting with scum like House Malvora.”

I do not know where it was mentioned but I believe I read in the books Lord Raith and Madrigal's father were brothers.

The whole interaction between Lara and Madeline in Turn Coat including Madeline having rooms in the Raith Mansion indicates they belong to the same house.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2020, 06:18:14 PM »
I do not know where it was mentioned but I believe I read in the books Lord Raith and Madrigal's father were brothers.

Madrigal calls Lord Raith his uncle:

It took Madrigal a while to control himself and find his voice. “You’re dead,” he whispered, pain making the words quiver and shake. “You gutless little swine. You’re dead. Uncle will kill you for this.”

Butcher, Jim. Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, Book 8 ) (p. 219). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2020, 09:35:21 PM »
... I do not know where it was mentioned but I believe I read in the books Lord Raith and Madrigal's father were brothers ...

Isn't he (M&M's daddy) the one Lord Raith sent skydiving without a parachute?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:10 PM »
Isn't he (M&M's daddy) the one Lord Raith sent skydiving without a parachute?
Yes he is. Also mentioned in proven guilty.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2020, 01:08:20 AM »
The Raiths who have had children were previously listed in this thread. Lord Raith, Charles Barrowill, Lord Raith's brother (who was thrown from a plane), Thomas (if one wishes to count him), and presumably Lord Raith and his brother's father or mother.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2020, 01:55:17 AM »
We can assume that the young Raith Harry encountered at Jury Duty was fathered by none of the above. Her power was too weak compared to that of of the big guns. There are probably rank and file weaker vampires who just get children. I do not think the royalties grip on their subjects is strong enough to prevent that anyway.
SH[Elaine+++]