Author Topic: Morgan Micro Fiction  (Read 50509 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan Micro Fiction
« Reply #285 on: March 10, 2020, 07:15:21 AM »
@Bad Alias
The beard and the hair clash.
Ah, I totally forgot about that. I have not read it (I did not buy Brief Cases). Thank you
At the risk of calling down Hellfire, you really didn't miss much.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 10, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »
At the risk of calling down Hellfire, you really didn't miss much.
I am not a fan of Maggie's existence, so I decided not to buy Brief Cases just for a story about her (I have all the others, I believe)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 10, 2020, 12:01:33 PM »
I am not a fan of Maggie's existence, so I decided not to buy Brief Cases just for a story about her (I have all the others, I believe)

I'm inclined to agree.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 10, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »
IMO the Maggie story was flat, much like the Goodman Grey piece.  My spirits are raised by the early buzz among a group that have had access to Peace Talks.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 10, 2020, 02:24:21 PM »
Ah, I totally forgot about that. I have not read it (I did not buy Brief Cases). Thank you

Zoo Day in particular was really good. Kinda tells three stories in one that all take place simultaneously; what happens with Harry, what happens with Maggie, and what happens with Mouse.

The Mouse part is particularly illuminating, because it implies and outright states a whole bunch of things about Mouse that are almost completely absent from the main series—including some specifics about the way his power functions and what it can do. Not quite as earth-shattering character-wise as the Morgan freebie, but it does cast some new light on some particulars of the way Mouse operates in the main series.

Other than that, I don't think there are any new shorts in Brief Cases, just ones that I missed since I don't buy the collections when they come out 'cuz I'd only be buying them for Dresden. Probably not worth a full priced purchase if you only missed Zoo Day, but if you can find it cheap somewhere, it may be worth it.

I used an Audible credit to get the audiobook. I particularly liked Zoo Day because they switched narrators between perspectives. I think Mouse's narrator was Russian? I forget the accent. But he was pretty solid.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 10, 2020, 04:42:19 PM »
I get the short story anthologies from my local library. I wasn't able to get AAAA Wizardry and one other (until the Jim only anthologies). If my library doesn't have one, I can usually get it through an inter-library loan or the library's shared digital collection. It usually takes about a month or two after a book comes out to read it that way, but I'm fine with that for short stories.

I did by an e-book of the most recent anthologies (the Goodman Grey short story) because I had some sort of credit when I selected the slow delivery on Amazon. The credit(s) covered the cost of the e-book, and those things expire eventually.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 10, 2020, 07:13:33 PM »
Mostly the whole thing is stories we've heard a hundred times. (If I'm going to go to the effort of seeing someone in person, I'm going to have looked them up on Youtube and not ask a question that's been asked a hundred times).
Typical. Let me guess:
"Did you plan out the series from the start?"
"Did you know that Harry was going to become the Winter Knight?"
"Wow! Molly's the Winter Lady! Did you know that was going to happen?"

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 10, 2020, 11:50:50 PM »
Thank you to all speaking to me about Zoo Day. I've read all the BC stories but that one so for now I rather don't invest so much money in it (no, libraries are not an option) but someday I will. Just probably not until after PT at least.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 12, 2020, 08:12:52 PM »
Typical. Let me guess:
"Did you plan out the series from the start?"
"Did you know that Harry was going to become the Winter Knight?"
"Wow! Molly's the Winter Lady! Did you know that was going to happen?"
It's surprising how old the questions are. A lot of the questions/answers here seemed focused on writing as opposed to plot.

Offline noblehunter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2020, 01:59:56 PM »
It's surprising how old the questions are. A lot of the questions/answers here seemed focused on writing as opposed to plot.

Not unreasonable, especially since after such a long hiatus people who aren't obsessive interested about the series may not remember enough to ask about plot details. I tried to talk to my sister about the micro fiction and she didn't know who people were.