Author Topic: Jade Court of Vampires  (Read 4298 times)

Offline DanceGeek5678

• Participant
    • View Profile
Jade Court of Vampires
« on: July 29, 2019, 03:08:02 AM »
I have a theory that Ancient Mi (SP?) is actually a high ranking member of the Jade Court, vampires who I suspect drain the Will/Spirit/Soul, rather than lifeforce or blood.
Not entirely sure why I feel so certain, but so many of her reactions can play both this way and as more superficially demonstrated in the stories.
Thoughts?

Offline segaily

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Jade Court of Vampires
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »
The they drain the Will/Spirit/Soul, rather than lifeforce or blood makes sense but I can not see a member of the high council being a vampire.  I can not see them allowing one to serve if it was known and for it not to be known it would basically mean there is no way at all to detect members of the Jade court.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 08:59:28 PM »
I don't think she's a member of the Jade Court.  As noted by @segaily, that would mean passing undetected by the entire Senior Council.  Fooling the Merlin, fooling the Blackstaff, fooling the Gatekeeper, fooling Native American Joe...  I really, REALLY don't see all that!

On the other hand, let's look at Harry:  co-habited with a WCV for a couple of years, regularly allies with him on missions, is blood related...  If the White Council knew all that, they'd go batshit crazy.

So Ancient Mai could well have some deep ties into the Jade Court, and them to her, that the Council wouldn't be OK with and that she must keep secret, just as Harry has to.

I expect ALL the Senior Council has secrets... both secret strengths and assets, and secret flaws and vulnerabilities.  And what we know about the Dresdenverse's Far East... well, it could be nicely summarized in about 1 page.  PLENTY of space for Mai to have secrets!

Offline DanceGeek5678

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 02:39:11 AM »
I so speculate, because Butcher routinely says the White Court can pass as human under mist circumstances. What if the Jade Court is one more subversive level beyond that? It does make for a great survival trait. And if they were into cultural manipulation, rather than individual, they could feed off the zieghtgeist of whatever they proffered. Ancient Mai might have the White Council in thrall, albeit unknowingly, manipulating the whole society rather than particular members. If so, she certainly would regard any Black Council as a direct competitor. What if Peabody had been working for her crew, for instance? Multiple black interests add intrigue and I wouldn't put it past Butcher.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 11:40:17 PM »
I so speculate, because Butcher routinely says the White Court can pass as human under mist circumstances. What if the Jade Court is one more subversive level beyond that? It does make for a great survival trait. And if they were into cultural manipulation, rather than individual, they could feed off the zieghtgeist of whatever they proffered. Ancient Mai might have the White Council in thrall, albeit unknowingly, manipulating the whole society rather than particular members. If so, she certainly would regard any Black Council as a direct competitor. What if Peabody had been working for her crew, for instance? Multiple black interests add intrigue and I wouldn't put it past Butcher.

It's an interesting theory, and I see what you mean; but I disagree, because we have WOJ that the Jade Court is secretive, reclusive, isolationist.  They wouldn't place an agent on the Council, or task them with any broad agenda (also, why would they be "isolationist" if whole cultures are their food?)

The only way Mai fits that JCV profile is if she's an exile, trying to make her own (secretive) way in the West, not in contact with the Court.

Offline Vodyanoy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »

That would certainly make sense - the Black Court are pretty noticeable, looking like reanimated corpses and such. The Red court are somewhat noticeable, given the right circumstances where their meatsuit gets a bit skew-whiff. The White Court could pass for human quite easily. We haven't heard anything really about the Jade Court, so they're either quite niche, or just *really* good at hiding.