Author Topic: Name someone you want to appear in Peace Talks  (Read 20257 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Name someone you want to appear in Peace Talks
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 09:21:26 PM »
What makes you say Carlos is organizing the talks? Do we even know who is hosting them?
The first chapter released as part of the card game kickstarter includes Carlos approaching Harry, telling him he (Carlos) is heading up security.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 12:37:53 AM »
Ooh Tilly. I really want to see Listens to Wind to talk to the alphas that'd be fun

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 09:13:02 PM »
The first chapter released as part of the card game kickstarter includes Carlos approaching Harry, telling him he (Carlos) is heading up security.

Thanks. I didn't partake in the kickstarter and haven't read the chapter, but thought I had heard everything important about it already. Hadn't heard that.

@123 Chickadee: I'd like to see a little meeting of shapeshifters. It'd be really cool if in latter books/stories it we saw some new skill from the Alphas that he taught them.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 07:24:19 AM »
I want to know if he really wanted Harry to attack the Red's and he just used a little reverse psychology to goad Harry into doing so.  I want to learn about what has been happening within the White Council.
If the he comes right out and says that in Peace Talks, what do you want to bet that the issue will still be hotly contested here? I can see it now: "he was just taking credit for the plan."

I could see the Merlin claiming credit for the destruction of the Red Court after he heard that Harry was dead.  After all, the news of both events would have hit the White Council at the same time.  The Merlin's story might have changed some.  Harry was following the Merlin's plan, they had just disagreed over the timing of the attack, or something similar.  Except to his closest allies, I don't think Arthur Langtry would openly brag that he got Harry killed by goading him to attack the Red Court.  (Though I don't know if Langtry has anymore close associates now that Morgan and Peabody are dead.  Ancient Mai might be a political ally, but it's difficult to know if they are more than allies of convenience.)  In fact, it's possible Langtry gave Harry some type of eulogy as a "Hero of the White Council" while secretly gloating over the news of Harry's likely death.

From her own motivations, I think Elaine wants to stay off the radar, and would avoid a high-powered, high-profile event like this, if at possible!

Of course (as we see from Harry's life!) sometimes a young wizard's "own motivation" to avoid certain situations don't line up with "what's possible!"

I've never thought that Elaine would want to be a part of the talks, but I could see her being in the story.  A long time ago I posted a WAG that Elaine might actually want to derail the peace talks between the Council and the Fomor.  As one of the founders of the Paranet; and probably it's leader in her part of the country, I doubt Elaine or any other members of the Paranet would like to see the Fomor left to do whatever they want those who can't protect themselves within whatever territory the Fomor might be granted. 

HOWEVER...  At the end of Dead Beat, Harry threatens Mavra, tells her never to try to use his friends against him, because... now he knows how to use Kemmlerian Necromancy against the BCV's.  But she's a reasonably powerful sorceress in her own right (tutored Bianca, who was able to survive a full-power strike of Harry's), and now Mavra has the Word.  So presumably now, SHE knows how to use Kemmlerian necromancy... which may well have given her the edge she needed to re-unite the Black Court, with herself as Black Queen.  I can see her showing up in that capacity!

That is an interesting idea!

I hope Sarissa and Fix make an appearance. I want to know how they are after Cold Days.

Seeing Sarissa could be fun, but I have a bad feeling about Fix.  I don't see good things for him in the future.  In Cold Days, Mother Summer told Harry that all Knights of Summer and Winter have the ability to remain themselves, but few do.  We know the negative effects that occur when the Winter Knight let's the Winter mantel choose their actions for them.  We haven't seen what happens when the Summer Knight lets Summer all the way in.  I have a feeling it won't be pretty.  I think what kept Fix stable was his love for Lilly, looking out for her and trying to help her deal with her own mantel.  Now that she's gone I don't see him lasting very long.  He doesn't know Sarissa and he probably doesn't trust or even like Titania.  Titania didn't pick Fix as the Summer Knight, so it's not like she even sees him as a useful tool.  Enough said, you get where I'm going with this.

About Agent Tilly.  I think his return could be very interesting, but I don't think it will happen in Peace Talks.  Tilly might be the head of some kind of X-Files department at the moment, but my guess is it will be the events of Peace Talks that brings him out of the shadows and gives him more authority in a later novel.  If Peace Talks gets mini-apocalyptic; as Jim has stated it will be, that will be when mortal authorities go from using covert operatives to gather intelligence to decide to become fully involved.  I think that is when we will see Agent Tilly again.

If Murphy is mostly in rehab with at most a phone call or two to Harry in the whole book, I doubt we will see Rudolph.  He's Murphy's enemy as much as Harry's.

No one has mentioned the Eebs.  I doubt they survived the Erlking's dungeon, but if they and the Red Court are going return, I think Peace Talks would be a good time for that to happen.  I don't like the idea of the Eebs surviving (unless they were killed in Peace Talks without creating anymore of their kind) because it would in effect be saying that in the larger picture nothing can ever really change.  Individuals can come and go, but the major powers can never really disappear.         
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »
Seeing Sarissa could be fun, but I have a bad feeling about Fix.  I don't see good things for him in the future.  In Cold Days, Mother Summer told Harry that all Knights of Summer and Winter have the ability to remain themselves, but few do.  We know the negative effects that occur when the Winter Knight let's the Winter mantel choose their actions for them.  We haven't seen what happens when the Summer Knight lets Summer all the way in.  I have a feeling it won't be pretty.  I think what kept Fix stable was his love for Lilly, looking out for her and trying to help her deal with her own mantel.  Now that she's gone I don't see him lasting very long.  He doesn't know Sarissa and he probably doesn't trust or even like Titania.  Titania didn't pick Fix as the Summer Knight, so it's not like she even sees him as a useful tool.  Enough said, you get where I'm going with this.     

Oooooh, I like this. I mentioned in another thread how Harry having an opposing Knight who knew and somewhat trusted him was a little too convenient for Harry... but you've really thought this through. I can see this happening... poor Fix.
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
How the Merlin spun Harry's death could be played so many ways by Jim. It's plot relevance alone could easily range from not mentioning it at all to it being a major plot point. Even if it isn't ever mentioned in the books, I can't imagine the Merlin didn't at least attempt to derive some political benefit from Harry's defeat of the Red Court and death.

I think I missed your theory about Elaine, but it seems like a sound idea.

Just because Fix stops being Fix doesn't mean he would stop trusting Harry. The Summer Knight formerly known as Fix would still have all the information necessary to trust Harry and maybe use that to try to get the better of Harry. On the other hand, based on the way Fix has behaved towards Harry since Small Favor, it could be argued that the Mantel has been doing all the driving for a while now.

If it weren't for the time that is likely to pass between Peace Talks and the book after Mirror Mirror, I'd bet that if Tilly is in Peace Talks, it would be at the end. I'm imagining something that would need to be addressed in the next book. On the other hand, if everything explodes in the first few chapters, that sort of situation could develop in Peace Talks. I've been assuming that the peace talks exploding would be centered somewhere around the climax of the book, but it could be the instigating event setting up the "main event" of the novel.

Whether or not red vampires exist, the Red Court is broken, so I don't see them surviving as a species, for now, "saying that in the larger picture nothing can ever really change" because the world is as truly changed by Chichen Itza as it could be by just about anything short of a mass extinction level event.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:53:33 PM by Bad Alias »

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 06:55:16 PM »
Gatekeeper has to be involved, it would seem, as he straddles the world of the Winter Court (working on the Wall) and the White Council.

I'd like to see the other signatories to the accords that we've never seen before. Drakul? The shapeshifting guru? Ferrovax?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »
Just because Fix stops being Fix doesn't mean he would stop trusting Harry. The Summer Knight formally known as Fix would still have all the information necessary to trust Harry and maybe use that to try to get the better of Harry. On the other hand, based on the way Fix has behaved towards Harry since Small Favor, it could be argued that the Mantel has been doing all the driving for a while now.

I really disagree with you here.  Fix decided to trust Harry and Lily died as a result.  I think that is how Fix will see things.  It's true that Fix knows more now that he did before, but I think his emotions will overcome his reason.  We have the example of how the Winter Knight's mantle can affect the reasoning ability of the mortal carrying it.  Do you think the Summer Knight's mantel will be less powerful in how if affects its holder?     

Allow me to explain further.  The real kicker, the thing that will probably gnaw at Fix is that Harry had both the ability and opportunity to take out Maeve before she killed Lily, and Harry failed to do so.  Harry came close, but that will only make it worse in Fix's mind.  I think that to Fix, this will be Harry's unforgivable sin, the thing he won't forget or let go of.  Actually, I should say it's the thing the Summer Knight's mantel won't allow Fix to let go of.  And it will be the mantle that he carries that will push Fix's feelings into overdrive.  My prediction is that at some point in the future Harry will be forced to kill Fix in open combat.  I don't see why this would happen in Peace Talks, but will happen eventually.  Perhaps it will be the event that pushes Harry to look for a way out of being the Winter Knight, but that's a different issue entirely.

If it weren't for the time that is likely to pass between Peace Talks and the book after Mirror Mirror, I'd bet that if Tilly is in Peace Talks, it would be at the end. I'm imagining something that would need to be addressed in the next book. On the other hand, if everything explodes in the first few chapters, that sort of situation could develop in Peace Talks. I've been assuming that the peace talks exploding would be centered somewhere around the climax of the book, but it could be the instigating event setting up the "main event" of the novel.

Your ideas here seem sound to me.  However, I could see Tilly making his presence, and his mission, known to Harry and yet still not playing that large of a role in the story's finale.  Events could still move too fast for Tilly and whatever forces he controls to react, or they could be involved and holding the line somewhere (bit players essentially), while Harry does the heavy lifting where it really needs to get done.  This could be setting up Agent Tilly, and the the mortal authorities in general, playing a more proactive role in the future.     

Groucho Marx

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
I really disagree with you here.  Fix decided to trust Harry and Lily died as a result.
That's ... way too much of an oversimplification, and I think it's really selling short Fix's ability to follow events that he participated in and which happened right in front of him.

Lily died because she trusted Maeve. Fix knows who was holding the gun, and he knows that Harry was trying to stop Maeve. Fix trusting Harry just plain does not play into the sequence of events that ended with a bullet in Lily's head. If anything, if Fix had trusted Harry sooner, they could've taken out Maeve successfully.

Offline 2,176,847

• Participant
  • "Polka will never die!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »
Cat Sith, because Cat Sith.  ;D
"I'm no philosopher, Harry, but here's something for you to think about, at least. What goes around comes around. And sometimes you get what comes around. And, sometimes you are what's coming around." -Michael Carpenter

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 01:34:54 AM »
I really want to see Tilly in Peace Talks.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 06:05:39 AM »
That's ... way too much of an oversimplification, and I think it's really selling short Fix's ability to follow events that he participated in and which happened right in front of him.

Lily died because she trusted Maeve. Fix knows who was holding the gun, and he knows that Harry was trying to stop Maeve. Fix trusting Harry just plain does not play into the sequence of events that ended with a bullet in Lily's head. If anything, if Fix had trusted Harry sooner, they could've taken out Maeve successfully.

I guess we will have to wait and see how it plays out.  My guess is that we won't see either Sarissa or Fix in Peace Talks.  It's not like the Fomor will be negotiating with Summer and Winter. 

While it's possible that Molly has a role to play in Peace Talks, I think it would be on the outside of talks, not taking a direct role that Summer would have to counter, but conveying information and warnings to Harry about the Fomor and what he can expect from them.  I also think it's about time for Charity and Michael to find out about Molly's new job, so that's a reason why I want to see her this book.  Otherwise we will have to wait three or four years, if we're lucky, to see that scene occur.   

Groucho Marx

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2019, 02:18:47 PM »
I guess we will have to wait and see how it plays out.  My guess is that we won't see either Sarissa or Fix in Peace Talks.  It's not like the Fomor will be negotiating with Summer and Winter.
Considering the talks are about the Accords specifically, I would be very surprised if the Courts didn't show up. Hell, Harry is explicitly there to help coordinate with Winter's folks as a go-between for the White Council. 

Offline Monkez

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2019, 03:02:41 PM »
I'd like to see a conversation between Molly and the senior council, especially Langtry.  Remember, that asshat tried to have Molly executed, then threatened her again in Edinburgh during Changes. 

I'd love to see something that'll give Langtry paranoid nightmares for a long time.  Something like a conversation that seemingly goes Langtry's way only to discover that he's talking to an illusion that fooled the entire senior council while Molly had been sitting on their flank the entire time.  :)
I always wanted to be a monk, but I never got the chants.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
I'd like to see a conversation between Molly and the senior council, especially Langtry.  Remember, that asshat tried to have Molly executed, then threatened her again in Edinburgh during Changes. 

I'd love to see something that'll give Langtry paranoid nightmares for a long time.  Something like a conversation that seemingly goes Langtry's way only to discover that he's talking to an illusion that fooled the entire senior council while Molly had been sitting on their flank the entire time.  :)

I like the way you think.

Considering the talks are about the Accords specifically, I would be very surprised if the Courts didn't show up. Hell, Harry is explicitly there to help coordinate with Winter's folks as a go-between for the White Council.

Is he?  Was that in the first chapter preview?  I thought Harry was asked by Carlos to help with security and Harry had a conversation with Thomas.  I think Molly or Lea, or maybe both will show up in the novel with some general instructions and warnings from Mab, but that's not the same thing as Winter and Summer both playing overt roles in the story.

Groucho Marx