Author Topic: A Question About Naagloshii  (Read 17596 times)

Offline Eguzky

• Participant
    • View Profile
A Question About Naagloshii
« on: May 31, 2019, 01:12:59 AM »
Put in spoilers because I'm referring to Goodman grey.

In Turn Coat, Bob says 'They don't need to recombine DNA' and that they don't have a gender, when Dresden asks if the Shagnasty is a He.
..If that is the case, how did Goodman Grey become the scion of one?

It's always kind of bothered me.

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A Question About Naagloshii
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 03:51:56 AM »
If you ask me, I say just because a Nagloshi don't need to recombine DNA, does not need they can't do it.

A nagloshi can take a human form and in that form a Nagloshi could likely procreate. This could happened for many reasons. Maybe it is a deal with some dark wizard. It might be a punishment for someone. Sexual intercourse is one of the primal rituals of humankind, we don't know what metaphisical weight the act carries or how it could be use to gain power magically. A white court could drain energy via the act for example.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 05:14:21 AM »
If you ask me, I say just because a Nagloshi don't need to recombine DNA, does not need they can't do it.

A nagloshi can take a human form and in that form a Nagloshi could likely procreate. This could happened for many reasons. Maybe it is a deal with some dark wizard. It might be a punishment for someone. Sexual intercourse is one of the primal rituals of humankind, we don't know what metaphisical weight the act carries or how it could be use to gain power magically. A white court could drain energy via the act for example.

Isn't it the theory that Mr Grey's father is a Naagloshii?

Offline Eguzky

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 02:04:12 PM »
Isn't it the theory that Mr Grey's father is a Naagloshii?

Well, it's not a theory. It's outright said that Goodman Grey is the scion of a Naagloshii and a human.

True. I guess, while shape-shifting, they could give themselves a gender.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 02:43:24 PM »
Well, it's not a theory. It's outright said that Goodman Grey is the scion of a Naagloshii and a human.

I agree, but was being diplomatic because it was the subject of a very heated thread a couple of years back...

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 06:23:15 PM »
It would still be a theory that his father was a skin walker, right? Or did Jim specifically mention which side of the equation his skin walker heritage game from? Admittedly, it would make more sense that it was from his father's side.

Offline Eguzky

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 06:26:51 PM »
It would still be a theory that his father was a skin walker, right? Or did Jim specifically mention which side of the equation his skin walker heritage game from? Admittedly, it would make more sense that it was from his father's side.

I'm guessing, if Skinwalkers have no natural gender, they could be either gender. But I think Goodman grey says his father was a Naagloshii.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 06:34:52 PM »
You're right. I'd round the percentages on that one up to 100.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 09:48:47 PM »
I'm guessing, if Skinwalkers have no natural gender, they could be either gender. But I think Goodman grey says his father was a Naagloshii.

He strongly hints at it....  Theory, there are creatures in nature who are asexual and yet when they need to, reproduce sexually...  A Naagloshii may be such a creature,  they can take on the human form, it is logical that when they do that includes the sex organs.  Now the bigger question, are the sex organs merely cosmetic?  Or does the inner human reproductive pluming come with the transformation? If it does, then it is possible for them to reproduce in my opinion..  It may be rare that they chose to do it, but it is possible.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 12:00:58 AM »
And given how they groove on inflicting pain and have intellectus on what would hurt somebody to their core, it probably means the worst thing Grey's father could do to some poor woman was force her to carry and raise a half-monster baby. That's probably one of the darkest origin stories for any character in the entire series.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »
What if Grey's mother was a nun?  Given the evil proclivities of skinwalkers, I could imagine one raping a nun and impregnating her in order to torture her.  Having her know that her child was the offspring of a monster, but not believing in abortion (or perhaps abortion didn't exist back then) she would have to carry the child.

What if she decided to raise the scion to be good?  Naming him Goodman as a constant reminder to him.  Remember, he did the job for Harry for $1 iirc.  What if the "rent" he was paying was his saintly mother?

Torn between and evil father and a saintly mother, he is a mix of both.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 11:35:53 PM »
What if Grey's mother was a nun?  Given the evil proclivities of skinwalkers, I could imagine one raping a nun and impregnating her in order to torture her.  Having her know that her child was the offspring of a monster, but not believing in abortion (or perhaps abortion didn't exist back then) she would have to carry the child.

What if she decided to raise the scion to be good?  Naming him Goodman as a constant reminder to him.  Remember, he did the job for Harry for $1 iirc.  What if the "rent" he was paying was his saintly mother?

Torn between and evil father and a saintly mother, he is a mix of both.

Abortion has existed as long as women have been having babies... Safety and legality is another matter, but if a woman doesn't want to give birth to a child, she will find a way not to...  It doesn't always work though, but the idea of a raped nun is interesting.. Or she doesn't have to be a nun, supposed the woman only saw the skin walker in his human form and fell in love having no idea until after she gave birth that his father was a monster?

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »
I was referring to abortion in the modern, medical sense, not the bent wire or sharp stick sense.

I can't imagine a skinwalker falling in love.  Unless there are good skinwalkers, which you would have to show me proof of.

But determining to raise her son to be good in defiance of the monster that assaulted her?

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 01:09:12 AM »
Abortion has existed as long as women have been having babies... Safety and legality is another matter, but if a woman doesn't want to give birth to a child, she will find a way not to...

It does require a modicum of freedom, for the woman; and a certain degree of availability, from those with the knowledge and/or skills...  Those aren't ALWAYS available.   It's not like just because it was known to the Grecian Hetarae 2500 years ago, it was equally available to peasants 1000 years ago...  Sometimes those "old wives tales" work, and sometimes they don't.

Offline Lazarus52980

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 06:29:35 PM »
I can't imagine a skinwalker falling in love.  Unless there are good skinwalkers, which you would have to show me proof of.

I think if you re-read what he wrote you'll likely conclude that he meant the woman falls in love with the Naagloshii, not the other way around.  :)