Author Topic: Malcolm's murder  (Read 10951 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Malcolm's murder
« on: April 10, 2019, 08:11:44 PM »
So I was thinking about how he could have been murdered.  From what I've read, Harry, and Malcolm moved around a lot.  Wouldn't this mean that he wouldn't have much protection in the form of a barrier at home?

Didn't he die with a smile on his face? 

I know we've discussed it at length before but thought maybe people have had new ideas on the subject.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Malcolm's murder
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »
I've often thought that Malcolm died similarly to Shiro: he took Harry's place. From what, I have no idea. But I'm pretty sure he was protecting Harry.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 10:58:34 PM »
Didn't he die with a smile on his face? 

That would suggest White Court vampire. It's quite plausible that Lord Raith ordered his death because he was pissed about Maggie's death curse and decided to kill her family as punishment. If Raith assumed Harry died in child birth, he could have just given orders to kill Malcolm Dresden without realizing there was also a child to kill. It also could have taken Raith awhile to discovery that it was Maggie that was the cause of his curse, which would explain why he didn't go after Malcolm immediately.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:36:08 PM »
My thought was that Malcolm died from a weak variation of the heart-bursting spell that was used in Book 1, that same heart-bursting spell seems to be a weak variation of the Bloodline spell from Book 12.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 12:33:50 AM »
Officially, it was deemed an aneurysm, so if that's anywhere close to the actual, physical cause of death, that eliminates the heart exploding spell.

My money is it's on an entropy curse, cast by Justin -- possibly with HWWB's help. He did die overnight, yes? How much you want to bet his time of death was about 13 minutes from midnight?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 01:25:55 AM »
That is why I thought weakened form of heart-popper. Instead of popping the pump, they popped a valve that leads to the heart.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Online Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 03:03:40 AM »
There's a possibility it was Leanansidhe according to WOJ whatever the godmother deal was, it's something Harry will duel Leanansidhe for. Could be Malcolms murder.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »
There's a possibility it was Leanansidhe according to WOJ whatever the godmother deal was, it's something Harry will duel Leanansidhe for. Could be Malcolms murder.

I thought that had more to do with the deal his mom made.  But I guess Malcolm could have gotten involved.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 07:04:10 PM »
That is why I thought weakened form of heart-popper. Instead of popping the pump, they popped a valve that leads to the heart.
I don't see how a weakened heart-exploding spell would have anything to do with the brain.

It's just two completely different methods, targeting two completely different areas of the body.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 07:40:18 PM »
Aneurysms are a problem in the circulatory system. They don't necessarily have anything to do with the brain. It actually makes a lot of sense that a weak heart-popping spell might look like a ruptured aortic aneurysm.

My problem with the theory is it is boring. We already had the story where an earlier event was practice for a larger version of the spell. Why do it again?

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 07:58:28 PM »
There is also the whole mortals trying to rationalizing the supernatural thing.  They may have just told Harry what his father died of without really knowing what killed him.

Also an aneurysm is a weak point in a blood vessel in the brain.  An entropy curse could have killed him that way if he was already at risk for something like that.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
Aneurysms are a problem in the circulatory system. They don't necessarily have anything to do with the brain. It actually makes a lot of sense that a weak heart-popping spell might look like a ruptured aortic aneurysm.

My problem with the theory is it is boring. We already had the story where an earlier event was practice for a larger version of the spell. Why do it again?

Also, the heart exploding spell was not a "cause problems with the circulatory system" spell.

It did one thing: It rips your heart physically out of your chest. It grabs the big hunk of pumping muscle in your chest, specifically and exclusively, and makes it leap out of your chest.

Busting a blood vessel in a totally different part of the body is not the same thing. I'm pretty certain that Harry says his dad died of a brain aneurysm.

It's like you have one guy who was shot with a rifle that ruptured his lung, and another who choked to death, and concluding the one who choked was killed by a weaker version of the rifle because they both died because they couldn't breathe.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 02:16:36 AM »
Correct, it was a brain aneurysm.

I always thought the smile was because he was thinking of, or possibly even seeing, Maggie when he died.  Maybe she gave him the "you're not alone on the other side" speech he gave Harry.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 02:46:56 PM »
Also, the heart exploding spell was not a "cause problems with the circulatory system" spell.

It did one thing: It rips your heart physically out of your chest. It grabs the big hunk of pumping muscle in your chest, specifically and exclusively, and makes it leap out of your chest.

Busting a blood vessel in a totally different part of the body is not the same thing. I'm pretty certain that Harry says his dad died of a brain aneurysm.

It's like you have one guy who was shot with a rifle that ruptured his lung, and another who choked to death, and concluding the one who choked was killed by a weaker version of the rifle because they both died because they couldn't breathe.

The spell was completed by stabbing a living rabbit in the heart (and probably scooping out the heart).  In theory the wizard could have done something else to cause a person to die that would resemble an aneurysm...  I don't know what it is but who knows.  An icepick stabbing into the animals brain?  A puncture mark should show up, but the heart exploding spell made it look like the explosion happened from the inside, and not that something had stabbed into the chest, and ripped the heart out, so maybe the damage to the brain could be done without showing the puncture mark.

Correct, it was a brain aneurysm.

I always thought the smile was because he was thinking of, or possibly even seeing, Maggie when he died.  Maybe she gave him the "you're not alone on the other side" speech he gave Harry.

I like that!  That does sound like something that could have happened.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:03:55 PM by groinkick »

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 03:05:49 PM »

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of it as a spell that super-pumps the heart so suddenly it explodes.  A lesser version of such a spell might cause the heart to work hard enough to rupture an aneurysm but not to explode the heart. However, such a caffeine-overload spell doesn't really explain the hole in the chest. It is a heart-ripping spell, not a heart-popping spell.