Author Topic: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers  (Read 161289 times)

Offline telkesh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers
« Reply #225 on: June 04, 2009, 03:42:38 AM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21582563@N03/2113120395/    Map of Calderon Valley

Still doesn't sit right, that the Valley is surrounded by water but not mountains. Isana states that she had never swum in anything larger then a lake or a river, but according to the map Bernardholt/isanaholt is pretty close to the sea of ice, closer then it is to other holts. How come there are only a few mountains shown in the area.
*Wishes he had anything close to talent to sketch a rough map and show what he means*

Offline Kathleen Dante

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Kathleen Dante | Erotic Romance Author
« Reply #226 on: June 04, 2009, 09:06:04 AM »
2. CuF: www.musterpuffer.de/JB/codex/alera-CuF.jpg

A couple of inconsistencies:
1. The Elinarch is in the "southwest of the Realm" CuF, p.321 (paperback)
In the map, the Elinarch is in the west; not enough south in its location to be southwest.

2. The city of Rhodes should be close to the coast, like Parcia, since the Canim "leveled the city of Rhodes no fewer than three times." CuF, p.311 (paperback)

Edited to add:
3. Westmiston is on westernmost of the Sunset Isles. CuF, p.18 (paperback)
The map should have a string of small islands with a general east to west (or west to east) bearing, not just one large island.

4. Westmiston should be in a more tropical (southern) position, given the description of the climate. CuF, p.16 (paperback)
This would also match the Elinarch's stated location in the southwest.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:26:05 AM by Kathleen Dante »
DREAMWALKER - Available now from Berkley Heat
ENDANGERED - Available now from Berkley Heat
http://www.kathleendante.com

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »
Still doesn't sit right, that the Valley is surrounded by water but not mountains. Isana states that she had never swum in anything larger then a lake or a river, but according to the map Bernardholt/isanaholt is pretty close to the sea of ice, closer then it is to other holts. How come there are only a few mountains shown in the area.

I comes mostly from the fact that that map is outdated. :-)

In the Map chat we agreed on a different form and placment for the Calderon Valley, but no updated close-view-map has been made since.

Take a look at for example this http://www.musterpuffer.de/JB/codex/alera-CuF.jpg map. it should clear some of your concerns about the form of the valley. Note that the isthmus between the Aleran mainland and the Marat dominated continent is not considered to be part of the valley.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
  • Careful, or you'll end up in my novel
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2009, 12:33:22 AM »
*Wishes he had anything close to talent to sketch a rough map and show what he means*

Actually, I had lots of mountains in one of my original Calderon Valley map, but we had a number of comments that said there were too many and that they were too high. I had the mountains both to the North, South and East. I left the West relatively open.

I've been away doing other things and just happened to glance in here this evening. I'll try to get in here more often.

Mikey

Offline telkesh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2009, 10:48:12 AM »
Actually, I had lots of mountains in one of my original Calderon Valley map, but we had a number of comments that said there were too many and that they were too high. I had the mountains both to the North, South and East. I left the West relatively open.

See? That's what I thought it'd be like. It's a Valley and mountain ranges make a more believable barrier then endless seas. The way that Alera/Martaia (Yes, I named it) touch like >< looks  alittle weird. Hogh mountain ranges were to be expected. They could be seen from Alera Imperia and are impassable.

Offline telkesh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2009, 01:10:19 PM »
3. The Vord (Alera & Canea): www.musterpuffer.de/JB/codex/alera-vord.jpg

Not picking on your map here, because I love it. But isn't Aquitaine more of an easterly direction of Alera Imperia?

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »
Yup.  Aquitaine should be almost directly east, whereas Riva is more to the northeast of Alera Imperia.  I quite like the concept of how the isthmus between the two continents and the mountain range surrounding Calderon relate, though.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 18, 2009, 10:58:25 PM »
Yup.  Aquitaine should be almost directly east, whereas Riva is more to the northeast of Alera Imperia.  I quite like the concept of how the isthmus between the two continents and the mountain range surrounding Calderon relate, though.

I'll go ahead and take a shot at combining the isthmus concept with the expanded valley view.
I'll post it in my regular place and insert the link into the top of the thread.
and here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21582563@N03/3733682858/  Revised Calderon Valley (rev 5)
I've been off working on graphics and things for other authors.

Mikey
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:34:25 PM by belgarion »

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2009, 03:29:19 AM »
Didn't Tavi have to go through a river, and over a forest to get to Garrison in the first book?
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline telkesh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2009, 05:45:36 AM »
Didn't Tavi have to go through a river, and over a forest to get to Garrison in the first book?

Aye, it was Rillwater. There's also a lake or two around there, too, lol

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »
What i never understood is where the idea came from, that the causeway is running in a circle through the valley.
Can someone give me quote from the books on that ? Just so i can catch on.

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »
This one is a complete guess, but I thought that on their way to Garados to kill off the queen then went from benardhold to aldohold, then up the mountains side.
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »
What i never understood is where the idea came from, that the causeway is running in a circle through the valley.
Can someone give me quote from the books on that ? Just so i can catch on.

No quote. It just seemed to fit the textual descriptions. If you have a better idea, I'm all for it.
I took a look at the Roman roads both in Britain and in Italy, they seemed to go in a circular path around the country linking the major cities.

Mikey

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2009, 05:17:49 PM »
Aye, it was Rillwater. There's also a lake or two around there, too, lol

That's true. But it's a little hard to pinpoint the lake's locations.

Mikey

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2009, 09:31:41 AM »
No quote. It just seemed to fit the textual descriptions. If you have a better idea, I'm all for it.
I always pictured Calderon Valley as being rather narrow, compared to its length, with the causeway running through it from west to east, linking Garrison to Riva. Thats the picture i have in mind. Wich makes sense to me, because the roads main purpose is to move troops quickly between important positions.
I took a look at the Roman roads both in Britain and in Italy, they seemed to go in a circular path around the country linking the major cities.

Mikey
Makes sense, but right now the Causeway seems to link the Steadholds. I just cant picture that in Alera.
Picture a citizen: "You want to build a very expensive road so that some lowly steadholders can visit each other more easily??... i don't think so."

More likely the causeway came first, after Garrison was established, and the steadholds settled along the causeway. Wich again is an argument for the causeway leading straight to Garrison. Why build a circular causeway if you just want a quick way to Garrison?