Author Topic: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers  (Read 163979 times)

Offline telkesh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers
« Reply #210 on: May 23, 2009, 09:27:15 PM »
Some notes on the map, mostly two parts I'm not 100% about. Probably already been approached.

On the map Phrygia borders the sea of ice, yet Max states 'Phrygia's thousands of miles form the sea' ... and I just noticed he was probably referencing the city, not the territory.

The second thing I just an assumption I've always had which conflicts with this map. and a few others. The Marat use rope made from the hair of the icemen. So I always assumed the marat territory shared a border with the icemen's territory, on the other side of the sea of ice.

Offline kokolores

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2009, 08:39:28 AM »
Some notes on the map, mostly two parts I'm not 100% about. Probably already been approached.

On the map Phrygia borders the sea of ice, yet Max states 'Phrygia's thousands of miles form the sea' ... and I just noticed he was probably referencing the city, not the territory.

The second thing I just an assumption I've always had which conflicts with this map. and a few others. The Marat use rope made from the hair of the icemen. So I always assumed the marat territory shared a border with the icemen's territory, on the other side of the sea of ice.

well, seeing how it's called sea of ice we've supposed that it happens to be frozen atleast part of the year so that both sides can cross.

As for Phrygia, well Alera is quite large as are the distances between the cities.
If there's something strange in the your neighborhood, who you gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
If there's something weird and it don't look good Who ya gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
I ain't afraid of no ghosts I ain't afraid of no ghosts

Offline Professor E.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »
Hi everyone, I am new here, and I wanted to let you all know that I really appreciate what you have done so far. I use your maps whenever I am reading the series. One thing I wanted to mention to help out, on page 381 of Princep's Fury, it is said that

Amara asked where the survivors of the battle would go, and Bernard said that they would take the causeway north into the redhill heights, and then east toward Aquitaine or northeast toward Riva.

based on some of the maps, I think that

Aquitaine and Riva should be further north. Just the cities, not the territories.

Also, I would think that the cites of Antillus and Phrygia should be closer to the shieldwall to make it easier for the high lords to stay on the Shieldwall most of the time, but that's my opinion. I don't have any references or anything. What do you all think?

Offline telkesh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »
Also, I would think that the cites of Antillus and Phrygia should be closer to the shieldwall to make it easier for the high lords to stay on the Shieldwall most of the time, but that's my opinion. I don't have any references or anything. What do you all think?

Not too sure about that one. Somewhere in Cursor's Fury (I'd have to look through it again though) Max states how he only saw his father in the rare times he came off the shieldwall, which made it sound like the city was a fair distance from the wall. Plus it'd be safe to have it further away from the wall, for those rare times the icemen break through.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »
First things first:

A Map in FLF: YEAH!

and

About fuckin time man! :-)

Hi everyone, I am new here, and I wanted to let you all know that I really appreciate what you have done so far. I use your maps whenever I am reading the series. One thing I wanted to mention to help out, on page 381 of Princep's Fury, it is said that

Amara asked where the survivors of the battle would go, and Bernard said that they would take the causeway north into the redhill heights, and then east toward Aquitaine or northeast toward Riva.

based on some of the maps, I think that

Aquitaine and Riva should be further north. Just the cities, not the territories.

Could you clarify wich maps you refer to?

Those would be the latest ones:

1. The Vale: www.musterpuffer.de/JB/codex/alera-vale.jpg
The green shaded section marks the Amaranth Vale. I think that size and placement was the closest we could find to a "consensus".
2. CuF: www.musterpuffer.de/JB/codex/alera-CuF.jpg
The red Area marks territory controlled by the Canim.
The green Arrows show troop movement in CuF. It's not a hundred percent accurate, since the information is sometimes inconsistent.
3. The Vord (Alera & Canea): www.musterpuffer.de/JB/codex/alera-vord.jpg

Riva needs to be around where it is now, otherwise the people from calderon could not possibly have hoped to get help in a timely fashion, wich they obviously did in FoC.

I agree about Aquitane, its not yet perfectly placed. Moving it would probably make it necessary to move calderon even more to the north. and so on and so on... To be honest, the news of FLF having a Map inside, have somewhat dampened my ambitions to continue with this map here *g*

Antillus and Phrygia, well, we know of Antillus Raucus staying at the shieldwall most of the year, only returning to Antillus during the summer (Pb. CuF P. 129). So it makes sense for the cities to have some distance to the wall.

Tsu

Offline Professor E.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2009, 01:27:49 AM »
Well in all three of those maps Aquitaine(territory and city) should be further north. The actual city of Riva should be more to the north as well, I don't believe that the city is situated directly in front of Calderon.

In your Vord infestation map, I think that its good and accurate, but I believe that the vord were stopped by the floodplains and couldn't get to Attica that way. The Vord were more concerned with the capitol so they spearheaded in a straight shot toward the city of Alera Imperia. The croach did not extend that far, the Vord left their food supply behind in an effort to crush everyone all at once. So the green(if it only represents the croach) shouldn't extend all the way to the city, only to around the towns of Uvarton and Marsford.

I don't think it has reached all the way to the city of Rhodes. That's just me though.  ;D

Offline Professor E.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2009, 01:29:08 AM »
Oh, and I see your point about the cites of Phrygia and Antillus.  ;D

Offline Professor E.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2009, 01:31:19 AM »
Well in all three of those maps Aquitaine(territory and city) should be further north. The actual city of Riva should be more to the north as well, I don't believe that the city is situated directly in front of Calderon.

Though I could be wrong, i need to read book No. 1 again

Offline Professor E.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »
Another thing I noticed while analyzing the maps is that some of the rivers start at political territorial lines, do they really do that in the books? I don't remember seeing anything saying where the rivers started. Thats just me being a little OCD though.  :P

So what is your opinion on my Vord map assessment?

And don't lose your drive to fine tune this map! Someone mentioned in an earlier post that Jim will use these maps as a reference!  :)

Offline kokolores

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2009, 08:14:53 PM »
My opinion is that there's something called the edit button, well it's modify button on this forum
If there's something strange in the your neighborhood, who you gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
If there's something weird and it don't look good Who ya gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
I ain't afraid of no ghosts I ain't afraid of no ghosts

Offline telkesh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 27, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »
How far can three legions force march over a causeway in one day?

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2009, 10:53:40 PM »
How far can three legions force march over a causeway in one day?

good question...

Jim has stated that professional travelers, merchants and the like, can travel about 200 miles a day.
And thats without exhausting themselves.
I think for a complete legion, you would need to trim it down a bit, large groups are difficult to koordinate.
And then see what a force march would let them travel. maybe something around 500 miles on a normal travel day.
But thats all speculation, since i have no idea how much faster force marching is compared to normal marching.

Totaly unrelated:
Just to note something down i saw while rereading AF before i forget it again: Mountains west of the Capital, mentioned during the party at Kalares townhouse.

Offline telkesh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2009, 11:27:05 PM »
Totaly unrelated:
Just to note something down i saw while rereading AF before i forget it again: Mountains west of the Capital, mentioned during the party at Kalares townhouse.

That's something that bugs me a little with the maps. It's the Calderon Valley, so it should have mountains on almost every side of it, not the ocean to the south that gets shown.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2009, 07:46:07 AM »
That's something that bugs me a little with the maps. It's the Calderon Valley, so it should have mountains on almost every side of it, not the ocean to the south that gets shown.

http://www.musterpuffer.de/JB/codex/alera-vale.jpg

It has mountains on the north and south, the isthmus on the west and the Marat plains on the east.
The Calderon valley is "past" the isthmus to Marat lands. The isthmus itself is not the Calderon Valley.

Offline Professor E.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 30, 2009, 11:42:46 PM »
My opinion is that there's something called the edit button, well it's modify button on this forum

Sorry, I haven't figured that out yet.