Author Topic: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers  (Read 163284 times)

Offline AldrickWindWolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 04:28:36 AM »
Of course there's another way in. Mountain ranges don't form an impenetrable wall.

And instead of flicker, may I suggest tinypic? tinypic.com         It's very simple.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
  • Careful, or you'll end up in my novel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 04:50:17 AM »
Of course there's another way in. Mountain ranges don't form an impenetrable wall.

And instead of flicker, may I suggest tinypic? tinypic.com         It's very simple.

I'll keep tinypic in reserve in case flicker stops working or something. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2007, 02:01:05 AM »
Following brought up in another thread:

<< Quote from: kokolores on Yesterday at 09:05:03 AM
The Tiber doesn't run to Alera Imperia, the Gaul does. They travelled around the coast to get to the Gaul, what is there to get confused about?
The maps show it as the Tiber going to Alera Imperia. But I don't recall the Tiber being near the capital.
Report to moderator   
kokolores

Quote from: scurv on Yesterday at 07:25:30 PM
The maps show it as the Tiber going to Alera Imperia. But I don't recall the Tiber being near the capital.

So bring it up in the map-thread and not here. It's a fan made map with no direct input from Jim, so there are bound to be mistakes and inconsistencies.
>>

I'm starting to look through my notes and the old map thread to see how we came up with the Tiber as shown.
M.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 04:44:03 AM »
I went through my notes and my pdf file of all the comments in the map threads and couldn't find where the Tiber runs through to Alera Imperia. The only thing I remember thinking was that the Canim needed to cross the Tiber to get to Alera Imperia and if it stopped short of the capitol then they wouldn't have needed to go across the Elinarch. They could have just bypassed the Elinarch completely.
I revised the black and white map of Alera
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21582563@N03/2148267610/
M

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 05:30:46 AM »
I've modified the revised Calderon Valley Map:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21582563@N03/2148367566/
It's now revision 2.
I moved the Princeps Memorium, indicated Amara's initial location when she meets Tavi,
added a forest north of Bernardholt, extended Garados's reach, and indicated the 2nd Herdbane's location.

Let me know if this geography makes more sense.
M

Offline divad

• Conversationalist
  • If you taunt tigers you may get killed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 06:49:37 AM »
shouldn't Garison be on the other side of the valley didn't the Marrat march through the steadholts to reach Garison. and Kord holt should be west of Garados because in AF pg. 56 Aric says "somethings been hunting on the eastern steadholt"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 08:10:18 AM by divad »
"for certain ye must be lost to find a place that can not be found."

"For the Pizza Lord, attack!

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 06:26:27 PM »
shouldn't Garison be on the other side of the valley didn't the Marrat march through the steadholts to reach Garison. and Kord holt should be west of Garados because in AF pg. 56 Aric says "somethings been hunting on the eastern steadholt"

No problem moving Kordholt. Sounds like we should move it.
Page 286, CuF:
The Garrison however, blocks the Marat at the entrance to the valley between two mountains on the eastern end. The Marat plains are beyond the mountains.
Raiding parties in small numbers do slip through the mountains and attack the valley's steadholts.

"The place was a fortress. There, two of the mountains that rose up all around them fell together into an enormous V. At the point of the Valley between them lay the grim grey walls of Garrison, stretching across the mouth of the Valley and blocking entry into it from the lands beyond with expansive and grim efficiency. The wall stretched across the mouth of the Valley from the Marat lands beyond, twenty feet high and nearly as thick, all of smooth grey stone, is walls surmounted by parapets and crenelation. "   ....  "The rear gates of Garrison stood open, and the causeway wound across the Valley and up to them."

Offline AldrickWindWolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2007, 08:52:23 PM »
Aquitaine should be farther north, and Kalare should be farther south.

How did you guys come to the conclusion that Parcia is south of Kalare? I thought they sailed north.

I still think Aricholt/Kordholt should be closest to Garados. They intended to use it as a base of operations against the Vord.

Offline Kathleen Dante

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Kathleen Dante | Erotic Romance Author
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2007, 11:08:07 PM »
The footpath that connects Bernardholt to the causeway is the one that crosses the Rillwater. I don't remember any reference to the causeway crossing the Rillwater. Basically, I think the pine barrens, Bernardholt, the forest near Bernardholt, and the Princeps Memorium, and the X marks for Amara and second herdbane should be farther east relative to Garados. Also, the causeway leads to Garrison.
DREAMWALKER - Available now from Berkley Heat
ENDANGERED - Available now from Berkley Heat
http://www.kathleendante.com

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 01:28:00 AM »
Aquitaine should be farther north, and Kalare should be farther south.

How did you guys come to the conclusion that Parcia is south of Kalare? I thought they sailed north.

I still think Aricholt/Kordholt should be closest to Garados. They intended to use it as a base of operations against the Vord.

Parcia is part of the southern slave trade.
(click to show/hide)

Forcia is on the west coast. There is a quote in the beginning of AF where Tavi meets Sextus and Tavi describes a desk made of wood from the west coast of Forcia.

I'm still researching the Calderon Valley comment.

I've also created a pdf file with all the pages from the first "A Map" thread. It's here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?8dszmxdb0mn

Please look through this file. It contains most of the comments on which the current maps are based.

M
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:57:54 AM by belgarion »

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2007, 02:34:58 AM »

In CuF, Aldoholt is overrun by the Marat before the Second Calderon. I put it closest to the Marat because of that reason. If Kordholt was closest to the Marat, I think the Marat would have overrun Kordholt instead of Aldoholt.

M

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2007, 02:50:22 AM »

Nope, the Marat hit Garrison first, except for the raiding parties that hit Aldoholt.

The quote in AF doesn't say that the eastern steadholt is a part of Garados. The next paragraph only states that they went hunting into the hills looking for cattle thieves. If plate techtonics are working here, you reach foothills before you reach mountains. And yes, Garados dominates the northern part of the valley, but I can't see it encompassing the whole valley from one end to the other.
I have modified the revised map of Calderon somewhat. It's here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21582563@N03/2150078689/

M

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2007, 02:51:21 AM »
The footpath that connects Bernardholt to the causeway is the one that crosses the Rillwater. I don't remember any reference to the causeway crossing the Rillwater. Basically, I think the pine barrens, Bernardholt, the forest near Bernardholt, and the Princeps Memorium, and the X marks for Amara and second herdbane should be farther east relative to Garados. Also, the causeway leads to Garrison.

I modified the Calderon map somewhat:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21582563@N03/2150078689/

M

Offline divad

• Conversationalist
  • If you taunt tigers you may get killed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2007, 08:23:17 PM »
so Tavi, Fade, and Amara headed from Benardholt to Garrison yet they encountered the Rill water I don't see any sensible way for that to happen using this map
"for certain ye must be lost to find a place that can not be found."

"For the Pizza Lord, attack!

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2007, 11:14:58 PM »
so Tavi, Fade, and Amara headed from Benardholt to Garrison yet they encountered the Rill water I don't see any sensible way for that to happen using this map

I'm still trying to resolve some issues with this new revision. That's one of them.
Sometimes, it seems like the books contradict each other until the lightbulb goes on.
I'll keep trying to figure out what to do with the Rillwater.

Revision 4 is up:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21582563@N03/2153360550/

M
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 12:22:36 AM by belgarion »