Author Topic: Mac's Possible Identity  (Read 13397 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mac's Possible Identity
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 01:51:48 PM »
@morris
Former Gatekeeper?  Something happened a thousand years ago that got the Sidhe put on gate duty.  Who were the prior guardians of the gate?

Common theory is the Viking pantheon and the Einherjaren defended the gates. While the Greek pantheon took care of the seasons like the Fae do now. The rise of Christianity and the Battle of Hastings caused the changeover

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 07:04:44 PM »
Yes and another says the Jotun abandoned their duty at the Gate, to go fight in the Battle of Hastings.  I figure Mac to be a Jotun who got betrayed by his fellow giants when they bailed.  Or something to that effect.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
@morris
Common theory is the Viking pantheon and the Einherjaren defended the gates. While the Greek pantheon took care of the seasons like the Fae do now. The rise of Christianity and the Battle of Hastings caused the changeover
The timing seems off for that to be happening at the same time, though - the Norse pantheon was a ging concern way past the Greek.

So I can certainly imagine the changing of the guard at the Gates happening circa Hastings, but the Fae took over the seasons (and the Greeks turned less relevant) before that.

Offline Salusen

• Participant
  • Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 07:48:51 PM »
I haven't heard that one. Interesting.

There was a reddit subpost just a few days after I posted this reply that asked if Mac was probably the Walker known as He Who Walks Beside. Which hasn't ever been mentioned in the Dresden Files as far as I remember. But given that the other two walkers are named He Who Walks Before and He Who Walks Behind...
-- Salusen

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 08:14:56 PM »
I had heard that name before, but not that it was Mac.

Offline Salusen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 08:19:32 PM »
Mac is out.

Mac watches things occassionally.

Mac brews.

These seem to be his 3 main traits. Nr 1 points at him being 'more' at some point, but I don't think we can just toss 2 and 3 overboard. Especially number 3 suggests he must be connected to brewing somehow. Oddly, none of the Grigori/Watchers have an obvious connection to brewing, so far as I can tell (even though this is usually included in ancient lists of 'crafts').

I agree with those 3 things being major Mac things. So I've been back reading the Dresden Files (because I'm bored and I reread all my books if I am and I super randomly decided to start the Dresden files), and I realized that Jim has never mentioned the Egyptian pantheon at all. There is a figure in folklore named Gambrinus, King of Lager Beer. He's supposed to have invented beer and learned the art of brewing from Osiris and Isis.  According to some sources, he might have been a giant who was descendant of Noah and was the first mortal to brew beer (which probably explains why makes it sooo good).

Some Bible myths say giants are offspring of angels and humans. So maybe Mac is half-angel and is the actual king of beer?

BTW, Harry's never soulgazed Mac right?
-- Salusen

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 10:18:16 PM »

So maybe Mac is half-angel and is the actual king of beer?

Then his name would be Bud instead of Mac.

Offline Salusen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 10:51:08 PM »
Then his name would be Bud instead of Mac.

I think you were joking and I get it. But I also think you were being sarcastic, so I briefly debated ignoring you.

But here I am, replying. Damn.
-- Salusen

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 08:02:43 PM »
You are correct that Harry hasn't soulgazed Mac. (Or he has and Jim has never mentioned on or off page).

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 11:13:13 PM »
That makes me think of Morgan, in Dead Beat, making a very conscious effort to NOT look at Mac when he is scanning the bar with his sight.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Salusen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 07:39:12 PM »
That makes me think of Morgan, in Dead Beat, making a very conscious effort to NOT look at Mac when he is scanning the bar with his sight.

Which means Morgan knew who and what Mac was. Is.
Do you suppose the Blackstaff also knows Mac? Or at least the being that's posing as Mac?
-- Salusen

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 10:32:25 PM »
It seems that most people that encounter Mac in Harry's presence seem to give him a measure of respect or courtesy. Much more so than they would a normal.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Salusen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 11:14:10 PM »
It seems that most people that encounter Mac in Harry's presence seem to give him a measure of respect or courtesy. Much more so than they would a normal.

True. At first, I used to think that they respected Mac because he was the only vanilla mortal who got his place accorded neutral grounds. But then it occurred to me that you'd have to be at least as powerful as Marcone to be recognized by the Sidhe.

So, neutral grounds. Watcher. Beer brewer. Dangerous. I'm still leaning towards scion of a human and an angel who learned how to brew beer and who has been alive for at least 1000 years. Enough for the Outsiders to know him, and enough for Mab and Odin to respect him.
-- Salusen

Offline Flemlord

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 03:55:16 AM »
I think Mac is King Arthur.

I read somewhere that Butcher was a fan of Tim Powers who wrote Drawing of the Dark. The theme is old gods wandering the earth in different forms. Similar to how the older gods exist in different forms in Dresdenverse. The story revolves around a magical beer “the dark” that can only be brewed every few hundred years.

In the book, Arthur is the protagonist, not the brewer. But ever since Small Favor where Harry faced down the Gruff and Mac brought out the dark beer, I’ve been convinced of this. Plus, if Merlin and Excalibur exist in the Dresdenverse then King Arthur obviously exists too.

Prove me wrong. ;-)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:07:43 AM by Flemlord »

Offline Salusen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 09:17:00 PM »
I think Mac is King Arthur.

I read somewhere that Butcher was a fan of Tim Powers who wrote Drawing of the Dark. The theme is old gods wandering the earth in different forms. Similar to how the older gods exist in different forms in Dresdenverse. The story revolves around a magical beer “the dark” that can only be brewed every few hundred years.

In the book, Arthur is the protagonist, not the brewer. But ever since Small Favor where Harry faced down the Gruff and Mac brought out the dark beer, I’ve been convinced of this. Plus, if Merlin and Excalibur exist in the Dresdenverse then King Arthur obviously exists too.

Prove me wrong. ;-)

Ohhh, that's a very interesting theory! Which story was that about the beer though??
-- Salusen