Author Topic: Mac's Possible Identity  (Read 13525 times)

Offline Salusen

• Participant
  • Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    • View Profile
Mac's Possible Identity
« on: January 21, 2019, 07:22:59 PM »
First time poster here!

I've been a fan of Jim Butcher and the Dresden files since I first read Small Favor back in 2010.

I've been wondering lately if Mac wasn't Fae after all. Could he possibly be of the angelic variety? A grigori? Or maybe the scion of a grigori and a human (or Fae!): nephilim?  I mean if Kincaid's the scion of a demon and a human, shouldn't there be an angelic version? I don't know if this makes a lot of sense. Hahahah. But Mab respects him (and she doesn't respect lightly) and he seems to be older than he really is. Stronger than a normal human, and very knowledgeable of anything supernatural.

Also, Harry's mentioned several times in the books that Mac's brews are heavenly. Could this be a clue? Am I grasping at straws here? Hahaha.

-- Salusen

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Mac's Possible Identity
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:07:55 AM »
First time poster here!

I've been a fan of Jim Butcher and the Dresden files since I first read Small Favor back in 2010.

I've been wondering lately if Mac wasn't Fae after all. Could he possibly be of the angelic variety? A grigori? Or maybe the scion of a grigori and a human (or Fae!): nephilim?  I mean if Kincaid's the scion of a demon and a human, shouldn't there be an angelic version? I don't know if this makes a lot of sense. Hahahah. But Mab respects him (and she doesn't respect lightly) and he seems to be older than he really is. Stronger than a normal human, and very knowledgeable of anything supernatural.

Also, Harry's mentioned several times in the books that Mac's brews are heavenly. Could this be a clue? Am I grasping at straws here? Hahaha.

Welcome!  Glad to see a new poster on here.  You aren't grasping at straws.  There are many theories in line with what you have proposed.  Jim has said that "Mac hasn't done anything a mortal can't do", however I do think he could be fooling us.  For example Vadderung does not work for Mab, while his Mantle, Kringle does.  Jim also said he's given misinformation a couple of times lol.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:08:26 AM »
Jim has said that "Mac hasn't done anything a mortal can't do", however I do think he could be fooling us
Cold Days pg 515

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 07:53:25 PM »
Cold Days pg 515

?  there is a storm coming?  What's this got to do with Mac, or my quote?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Salusen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 10:51:21 PM »
Oh okay. Yeah I know he couldn't heal himself until after Mab pulled out the bullet. Which was iron. So he could have fae blood. And I do remember that Kringle once said that none of them now were what they were before. So does that apply to Mac? I'm still gunning for the half angel theory. Maybe half fae and half angel?

-- Salusen

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 11:07:26 PM »
My only problem with the half-angel would be that just like the naagaloshi(sp?) angels weren't created to reproduce. 

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 12:36:06 AM »
My only problem with the half-angel would be that just like the naagaloshi(sp?) angels weren't created to reproduce.

That depends on what kind of angel you're talking about.  The Nephilim were the offsprings of "the sons of God and the daughters of men."

Offline Salusen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 03:01:35 AM »
That depends on what kind of angel you're talking about.  The Nephilim were the offsprings of "the sons of God and the daughters of men."

Truth. Had to do a little internet surfing there, but there aren't a lot of material on him.

Here's another theory: What if Mac is Oberon? Hahaha
-- Salusen

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 04:36:51 AM »

I'm fairly certain Jim said Grey was the offspring of a Naagloshii, so ...

Mac has healed faster than humans can several times while unconscious, see Cold Days with the rope burns he didn't have and the gun shot. He did something humans can do, but he did it in a shorter time frame?

Offline Salusen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 10:33:30 PM »
I'm fairly certain Jim said Grey was the offspring of a Naagloshii, so ...

Mac has healed faster than humans can several times while unconscious, see Cold Days with the rope burns he didn't have and the gun shot. He did something humans can do, but he did it in a shorter time frame?

So maybe he's some kind of superhuman. But I've been going through the internet looking for clues about a Watcher. And lately, I checked the "Flatterer" too. So I've got new theories (hahaha!): that Mac is either the great flatterer of the ghosts, Hanaaumoe, in Hawaiian mythology (this might actually be baseless) or an actual watcher - and storyteller.. Aesop himself.
-- Salusen

Offline Salusen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 03:18:10 AM »
It just occurred to me that NOBODY ever mentioned who the third walker was. Is it Mac?

Oh the possibilities!
-- Salusen

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 04:42:31 AM »
I haven't heard that one. Interesting.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »
Mac is out.

Mac watches things occassionally.

Mac brews.

These seem to be his 3 main traits. Nr 1 points at him being 'more' at some point, but I don't think we can just toss 2 and 3 overboard. Especially number 3 suggests he must be connected to brewing somehow. Oddly, none of the Grigori/Watchers have an obvious connection to brewing, so far as I can tell (even though this is usually included in ancient lists of 'crafts').

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 11:46:49 PM »
I still like the theory that Mac is Odin's missing eye.  He's a "watcher".  He says he's "out".

Or the theory that he was something important and made a deal to stay out of matters in order to keep something else out.  This may be part of the trigger for the BAT.  Mac is forced to get involved and whatever he made the deal with gets set free.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 02:51:49 AM »
Former Gatekeeper?  Something happened a thousand years ago that got the Sidhe put on gate duty.  Who were the prior guardians of the gate?