Author Topic: Christmas Eve from JB's Twitter (no news, just fun)  (Read 58209 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Eve from JB's Twitter (no news, just fun)
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 04:55:05 AM »
So in addition to being a Knight of the Cross, and a Wizard, and a dozen other things, Malcolm Dresden was also Kringle.

Because obviously the idea that he was a normal guy is just too lame.
Well, I've only ever said he was a KotC.  So this would only be the second thing I've suggested he was.   :P

But no, I don't really think Kringle is Malcolm.  I just think it was an interesting choice, from both Kringle's and Butcher's pov.  Maybe it's just what it appears to be. An item that invokes a pleasant memory for Harry, to help lift his spirits at Christmas.

After all, Harry's dad is the one thing in the series that we're not supposed to think twice about. 

Maybe Kringle was just being nice to a friend.
Maybe he's just a good man, a spirit unlike any other, who's acts are kind enough to make you weep.   ;D

(For the record, I don't really think Malcolm was a KotC either, but I like the idea and the possibility)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2018, 05:08:14 AM »
Michael actually got a message from upstairs to leave Harry alone for his Christmas visitors. Just another sign of cooperation between the white god and fairy. The interaction between Mab and Mouse was also interesting.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 07:41:09 AM »
My takeaways
  • Molly's concern about Harry still being himself may just be due to the Knight mantle, but that's already been hashed a bit.  But Eb dying and Harry getting the Blackstaff would give him someone to grieve over, it'd give Molly a reason to be concerned about him still being him, and it'd certainly make others think twice when Harry started yelling in their faces.

I had the feeling that Molly realizes the Winter Lady's mantle is changing her too.  No one else besides Molly (and the other Queens of Fairie) knows the pressure the Winter Knight's mantel has placed on Harry, because Molly has felt a similar and perhaps a greater pressure from the Winter Lady's mantle.  With the possible exception of Sarissa, the other Queens of Faerie might have the knowledge of how the Knight's mantel can twist its human host, but they are far beyond being able to empathize with that person.  Apparently, Molly still can.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2018, 07:59:37 AM »
I had the feeling that Molly realizes the Winter Lady's mantle is changing her too.  No one else besides Molly (and the other Queens of Fairie) knows the pressure the Winter Knight's mantel has placed on Harry, because Molly has felt a similar and perhaps a greater pressure from the Winter Lady's mantle.  With the possible exception of Sarissa, the other Queens of Faerie might have the knowledge of how the Knight's mantel can twist its human host, but they are far beyond being able to empathize with that person.  Apparently, Molly still can.   
Sarissa knows, she was quite clear about that in cold days. And I am not sure about lack of empathy either, Mother summer was not without it.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2018, 11:12:52 AM »
On a completely different note...

Is it just my warped Dutch senses, or is Maggie crazy old to be getting what appears to be her first bike?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »
Seriously, Kringle had the cup.  Harry didn't say it was like the one he'd given his dad, or that it was conjured.  He said it was the one he'd given his dad.
Was it really it?  Why would Kringle have it?
Maybe you aren't paying close enough attention.  Read page two.  And then this.
“Because tonight,” Kringle said, “that is what I do.” His blue eyes crinkled at the corners as he smiled. “And because you’re on my list, lad.”

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2018, 01:21:37 PM »
On a completely different note...

Is it just my warped Dutch senses, or is Maggie crazy old to be getting what appears to be her first bike?
The story doesn't say it's her first bike.

Plus, given the life she's led? It hasn't been a priority. Until recently, she apparently couldn't do much at all without literally hanging on to Mouse, too.

So, yes, she's old for a first bike, but there's reasons for it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2018, 02:07:03 PM »
The story doesn't say it's her first bike.

Plus, given the life she's led? It hasn't been a priority. Until recently, she apparently couldn't do much at all without literally hanging on to Mouse, too.

So, yes, she's old for a first bike, but there's reasons for it.

"I went back to trying to assemble the stupid bicycle. Maggie needed to learn to ride a bike."

This sure implies it's a first. But yeah, maybe it is the very special life she's led, and maybe this is Harry's way of saying he, too, thinks she's old to be learning and needs to learn now rather than later :)

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2018, 02:59:24 PM »
if you  read the books since Maggie was introduced the character has always been about two years behind other kids emotionally.  The character is a child that had been severely traumatized by the red court vampires. the girl saw her foster parents and siblings being used as food by vampires who because she was just chattel to them and a eventual sacrifice was not treated will and might even had been fed upon by the same vampires that killed her family.  Traumatized children sometimes regress. I love the way Jim is treating the character because the Author  is not instantly having her be the typical  nine or ten year old the character instead the character is having to deal with the fact that she was abused extremely both physically and emotionally.
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »

I'm with Maggie, when I was her age red was my favorite color too! ;D   Hmmmm... There is a hint of humanity in Mab, and with her daughter being the Summer Lady now, looks like things will be a bit better as far as Summer/Winter relations may be a bit warmer....  But why is Mab even attempting to be nice to Harry by giving his daughter a gift?

Face it, a bike isn't that hard to put together, and usually a kid's bike is bought in one piece...  So
did Maggie and Harry come to stay with the Carpenters just for Christmas?  At the last story, Harry was moving into Molly's old place...  Notice she came when her father wasn't in the room?  Do they know now, have either side resolved what has happened to her?

Kringle, very very sweet, his gift to Harry.. Special, very special, why now?  To bring comfort...

Since this takes place after Peace Talks apparently, maybe at least six months after... The depth of
Harry's grief says to me at any rate, one or more of three very important people in Harry's life is
no longer with us.  The candidates are in order, Murphy, Eb, or Thomas...  I doubt that he would
be in such morning for members of the White Council in general, even for the likes of Rashid.. Yes, he hates it when lots of innocents die, but this seems more personal.  It  is possible that Thomas could be eliminated from the list because I'd think Justine and baby would be with Harry if he was dead, unless both died including baby..  Eb very possible as we have talked about, but maybe Jim wasn't pulling our leg months ago, he was writing Murphy's funeral...

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2018, 05:44:30 PM »

I'm with Maggie, when I was her age red was my favorite color too! ;D   Hmmmm... There is a hint of humanity in Mab, and with her daughter being the Summer Lady now, looks like things will be a bit better as far as Summer/Winter relations may be a bit warmer....  But why is Mab even attempting to be nice to Harry by giving his daughter a gift?

Face it, a bike isn't that hard to put together, and usually a kid's bike is bought in one piece...  So
did Maggie and Harry come to stay with the Carpenters just for Christmas?  At the last story, Harry was moving into Molly's old place...  Notice she came when her father wasn't in the room?  Do they know now, have either side resolved what has happened to her?

Kringle, very very sweet, his gift to Harry.. Special, very special, why now?  To bring comfort...

Since this takes place after Peace Talks apparently, maybe at least six months after... The depth of
Harry's grief says to me at any rate, one or more of three very important people in Harry's life is
no longer with us.  The candidates are in order, Murphy, Eb, or Thomas...  I doubt that he would
be in such morning for members of the White Council in general, even for the likes of Rashid.. Yes, he hates it when lots of innocents die, but this seems more personal.  It  is possible that Thomas could be eliminated from the list because I'd think Justine and baby would be with Harry if he was dead, unless both died including baby..  Eb very possible as we have talked about, but maybe Jim wasn't pulling our leg months ago, he was writing Murphy's funeral...

Eb I can sort of see, but with Murphy I don't think it'd be very relistic for Harry to be able to hide her name from his own thoughts. Mind, if she is dead Jim wouldn't publish this story with her name as one of the casualties as it's a major spoiler rather than the minor spoilers there are... but it seems too unrealistic to fly, to me.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »

As Mab explained it is her duty. Harry is taking part in a winter festivity, he is actually helping fairy that way. Of course Mab wants to keep all the important things of christmass alive like the tree and santa and gift giving. Gift giving is an important ritual.

And Harry is Mab's consort. How can she not give Harry a present at christmass? and how can she miserly about it? She is the liege, she has to give, this is the occasion.

Apparently he got a flatpack or something like that. We in Holland just go to the bike shop around the corner and by an assembled one.

This is Maggie's family as well and since small favor it is also Harry's family in a sense. It is quite understandable that Harry and Maggie celebrate christmass there wherever they are living at the moment.

Kringle, very very sweet, his gift to Harry.. Special, very special, why now? 
Not Kringle's fault. As mentioned in Skin Game the island was not an easy place to deliver for Kringle.

And really Kringle just likes Harry. Of course he gives him a gift at the only time he can do so without problems. Harry just has to be nice of course. Being naughty will really bring extra problems from now on....
To bring comfort...
Ramirez, Butters, Bill and Georgia, Elaine, ....

I do not think Karen is dead at the moment. I expect them at least to have some happiness together before it is ripped away. Just to make it worse. But Murphy is going to suffer, just to make Harry suffer.

But I do not think he is in mourning for a special person necessarily. I think there were just a lot of casualties. We probably do not know most of them.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »
It  is possible that Thomas could be eliminated from the list because I'd think Justine and baby would be with Harry if he was dead, unless both died including baby.
Over Lara's dead body. Which says nothing about Thomas's fate.
Just spitballing here, but how did he end up on Kringle's list?
(click to show/hide)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2018, 07:09:49 PM »
Just spitballing here, but how did he end up on Kringle's list?
Oh that one is simple. Uriel and Vadderung know each other.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
How did he end up on Kringle's list?

Simple: He's been a very good boy this year, apparently.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast