Author Topic: Christmas Eve from JB's Twitter (no news, just fun)  (Read 58154 times)

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Eve from JB's Twitter (no news, just fun)
« Reply #270 on: January 17, 2019, 08:13:57 PM »
Huh. So did the vampires get powerful as well, or what? That sounds like an interesting game.
Neat. I know there's a Dresden Files game; I read a recap/review of it, but some of the mechanics seemed confusing.

Yes, vampires of low enough generation (earlier and thus older vampires) were insanely powerful in WoD.
Someone did a spoof way back having the generation 2 (i think) vampires fighting each others. It was like:

A: Using superstrength: I take the moon, and throw it at you.
B: Using powers to hide moon completely from any senses.  "What moon?"
C: Using power to pierce any illuisions and magic hding things: "That moon..."
D: Being the target of the attack, uses power to make itself invulnerable... "No problems, I am tough enough to handle it.." Brushes off the attack in best Bond villain Jaws-style.

Problem with the old games were that even though it was obvious that they all took place in the same world (and they had a metaplot), the company doing them was like: "No, these are all separate games, no connection". And the rule-systems were similar but (not always so slightly)  different in each of the games...

And then you have the Chronicles of Darkness, which is a licensed version that has got its own setting, and similar rules (but imo much better), and the base there is that you are a mortal.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 17, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
Huh, that's interesting. I bet some people like one version over the other. Must be confusing for GM's?

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 17, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
Huh, that's interesting. I bet some people like one version over the other. Must be confusing for GM's?

Probably, not sure on how large the differences are between the different versions. And the latest version is marketed as 5e, and there they are taking up the old metaplot again... But after some debacles on some books, I gathered that the company would continue to just license out stuf and lett others write. Others like the ones that made Chronicles of Darkness. It is complicated to say the least.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline 123Chikadee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 19, 2019, 05:15:02 PM »
Sounds like it. I knew that the GM role is tough, but this takes the case. I don't think I could be a GM even if I got more experience playing tabletops.