Author Topic: Christmas Eve from JB's Twitter (no news, just fun)  (Read 57638 times)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Eve from JB's Twitter (no news, just fun)
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 06:24:16 PM »
(click to show/hide)
even without knowing what happened, does anyone think there's any way the mortal world will be able to explain something this major away?  Will this be the straw that draws the Librarians out into the open?  Brings the government out against the magical community? or are they
(click to show/hide)

it appears that the Carpenters survived fairly well, who do we think didn't?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »
(click to show/hide)
even without knowing what happened, does anyone think there's any way the mortal world will be able to explain something this major away?  Will this be the straw that draws the Librarians out into the open?  Brings the government out against the magical community? or are they
(click to show/hide)

it appears that the Carpenters survived fairly well, who do we think didn't?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
Hmm... There weren't any mentions about Murphy. 
I mean we did have that twitter post of Jim that was an alleged jest about him writing Murphy's funeral.

I wonder what happened to her.  How sidelined is she.  Was she removed from the board in some way? Does the characters on screen emotional states allow for the possibility that something significant had happened to Murphy?

I found it interesting that Mab experienced pain when Harry posed the possibility of not accepting the gift on Maggie's behalf.  And that she wanted Maggie to know who gave it to her.
We can not expect any mentioning of people who might die because that would be a huge spoiler.

So I did not expect any mention of Karen.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
The more important question I can't wait to get answered is who the f created that big impact that mab decides to cash billions in weregild to control the damn backlash.
(click to show/hide)
We can not expect any mentioning of people who might die because that would be a huge spoiler.
True, but you know who didn't.  Which leaves with a short list.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 10:57:27 PM »
Well, Butters wasn't mentioned.

Thomas may be dead, or just not involved in this part being no old-dad-who-knows. Who did we really see? Michael, and Winter who have the gift-giving as a kind of 'thing'. Not sure why Molly, Mab, and Kringle all showed up separately but they did anyway.

But for all we know, this was just how it goes - Harry works on his daughter's gift, Michael thinks to come over because he knows it's special to Harry, and everyone else is just home preparing their own thing for the next morning - though obviously it means Murphy isn't coming over to live in Harry's house, that could be either through their relationship or her being-aliveness.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 11:38:04 PM »
Not sure why Molly, Mab, and Kringle all showed up separately but they did anyway.

Well most of it was the Dresdenverse Christmas Carol
3 spirits of Christmas,
Mab with the gift for Maggie was the ghost of Christmas future (I wonder if Harry can extend the life of the ring)
Mollie with the bill reflecting current grief is the present
and Kringle was most assuredly past

very well done, and as always, leaving us with more questions than answers...

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 01:17:16 AM »
though obviously it means Murphy isn't coming over to live in Harry's house,
Because Harry has got no house he's at Micheal's, unless I misread you..
Mab with the gift for Maggie was the ghost of Christmas future (I wonder if Harry can extend the life of the ring)
Harry calls her out as the Ghost of Christmas Past with the quote.(A Christmas Carol is my favorite Christmas story)  I personally have no idea.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 01:41:47 AM »
I may have just forgotten but who was Hank again? Was that one of the Carpenter kids?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 01:45:29 AM »
The more important question I can't wait to get answered is who the f created that big impact that mab decides to cash billions in weregild to control the damn backlash.
What weregild?  Paying for funerals is different from weregild.  Also, controlling the backlash isn't something you do just by paying for funerals.  Especially if it's a "big impact" which very possibly would include non-supernatural mortals.  Uninvolved people have no obligation to give any kind of damn about the Accords.  You can't force them to silence just by offering to pay up.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 02:02:38 AM »
Molly to Harry - "And you risked an awful lot getting in everyone’s face after the battle."

This makes me wonder about when Rashid told Harry it wasn't his time to stand against the Council, during Turn Coat.  Not that the above is when Harry does that, but it may be setting up that eventual confrontation.

I found it interesting that Mab experienced pain when Harry posed the possibility of not accepting the gift on Maggie's behalf.  And that she wanted Maggie to know who gave it to her.

I was a little surprised Harry didn't say "I will tell Maggie this came from you, Mab" and silently think "and I'll also warn Maggie about who and what you are."
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:08:50 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 02:32:44 AM »
I was surprised he didn't follow up with a sarcastic "Of course I'll tell her  it came from you Mab. I'll even teach her a summoning ritual and reccomend that she contact you if she ever needs to make a Faustian bargain"
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:34:17 AM by forumghost »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 02:45:39 AM »
I think it's important to note that the focus is on the number of dead, rather than who was dead.

Yes, Harry's inner monologue does mention the holes in his heart where people should be, which likely means someone he knew personally did, in fact, die. But look at how he reacted to Susan's Vamping and death.

I feel like if someone as close to him as his brother or Karrin died -- and he believes it was his fault -- he'd be more broken up about it. And Molly, Winter Lady or no, would have more to say about it than, "I paid for the funerals."

I could be wrong. That's just my read on it.

Death speculation aside, the story was appropriately adorable. And I love how Kringle gets all the credit.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 03:20:18 AM »
Grrrr.....Post the cover.  Say "The end."  Quit torturing us.  On a less whiney note,  What BIG events happen in Chicago in the summer that a supernatural battle  could get in the middle of?  Baseball game?  Concert?  A parade? Lollapalooza?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 03:55:42 AM »
My takeaways
  • Molly's concern about Harry still being himself may just be due to the Knight mantle, but that's already been hashed a bit.  But Eb dying and Harry getting the Blackstaff would give him someone to grieve over, it'd give Molly a reason to be concerned about him still being him, and it'd certainly make others think twice when Harry started yelling in their faces.
  • The bit about his dad seemed odd.  Not wrong, or out of place given the holiday, but it seems suspicious.  Especially given the presentation with Kringle in the room.  There's something there... But for now, I'll just settle for saying Harry's dad may either get some mentions, or possibly screentime, in PT.
  • I know we've heard that Harry would be staying at Molly's, and they may very well be.  But they're clearly at the Carpenter's, what with Hank (little Harry Carpenter) being there.  Either that, or things have gone very bad for the Carpenters, for Michael and Hank to not be with the others on Christmas.
  • What's with Mother Winter not giving Harry a gift?
    If it's an obligation, is she not obligated?  Or is her gift to not show up and ruin his night?
  • Seriously, Kringle had the cup.  Harry didn't say it was like the one he'd given his dad, or that it was conjured.  He said it was the one he'd given his dad.
    Was it really it?  Why would Kringle have it?
  • I get that the mug was to invoke seasonal memories, but it's also probably chosen to invoke a specific emotion.  One of closeness with a parental figure.  Could it be a hint that Harry's without anyone else filling that role?  Aka is Eb gone?
  • As for the injured and dead, it doesn't seem likely that any supernatural factions would need such compensation.  It definitely sounds like civilians (or, at least humans unaffiliated with a Court or Baron or Council) died, be they soldiers or police or Paranetters or people in the wrong place.  But instead it might be about everyone that was kidnapped.  They were taken because the Fomor made their move, because Harry took out the Ramps.  His arrogance, to think he could do such a thing without consequences, could be part of what he's talking about.  But hopefully the injured are those that he saved, or bargained for their lives, or some such, rather than a cataclysmic event occurring during the events of PT.  And hopefully the dead had already been killed.
  • He literally says "I love you Dad" in the present tense, and then textually "looks up at him", him being Kringle of course, who winks, but... Come on.  You can't tell me there's not something fishy there.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2018, 04:21:07 AM »
So in addition to being a Knight of the Cross, and a Wizard, and a dozen other things, Malcolm Dresden was also Kringle.

Because obviously the idea that he was a normal guy is just too lame.