Author Topic: Ghost Story and Susan's Fate  (Read 5669 times)

Offline pyromapes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Ghost Story and Susan's Fate
« on: November 28, 2018, 01:14:07 AM »
This has bugged me for ages.

Dresden killed Susan. She had just killed someone and was becoming a vampire when she died.

Dresden, shortly after, died himself. Via the train he learned there were different places people ended up.

He met ghosts, he met angels.

He never asked what happened to Susan. He was bothered that he'd killed her, but he never sought any knowledge on where she'd gone after he killed her. Logically, the guilt would be eating him up, we even see that it's the case in a later book.

But he never asked if this woman, the mother of his child, one of the true loves of his life, who had just commited murder and was losing her humanity as she was killed, by him, went to whatever counts as heaven, or hell. He never got what I would have thought of as a massive piece of closure and it never even crossed his mind in the book to ask.

This is one plot point that just bugs the heck out of me and it still isn't resolved.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story and Susan's Fate
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:24:51 AM »
He never knows what happens to the dead.  And only his father has spoken to him from beyond.  His father tells him that death is a door one person wide.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 05:27:43 AM »
He didn't ask about Kim Delaney, Justin, the people he burned at Bianca's place, or anyone else, either.

Offline pyromapes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 08:03:35 AM »
True, but he never even asked for a hint.

I don't really expect he'd get an answer, the main thing that bugs me is it doesn't seem like a part of the whole thing that bugs him.

I mean, don't red court vampires lose their soul when they turn, and she was turning when he killed her. Wouldn't he at least be curious if her soul got though at all? I reckon he'd get an answer for that at least.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 12:45:37 PM »

Interesting points, but I think we can cut Harry a little slack here for not asking, because face it, being dead is a huge adjustment, even for Harry.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
He probably didn't ask because he's scared of the answer.

If I were Harry, I'd be horrified to learn that I sent the woman I loved to Hell. If that's even a possible answer, I could see him not asking to avoid hearing that kind of truth.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 02:04:28 PM »
Doubt she'd end up in Hell anyway, one murder (Is it murder when he's holding a knife to your throat?) can't overshadow a life of doing good, and that she did, in spades.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 02:22:09 PM »
He probably did not ask because he knew he would not get an answer anyway.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
Doubt she'd end up in Hell anyway, one murder (Is it murder when he's holding a knife to your throat?) can't overshadow a life of doing good, and that she did, in spades.
A lot of her doing good involved killing people, after she joined the Fellowship. They were basically a terrorist organization and vampires aren't the only things they killed or blew up.

Who knows how the cosmology really shakes out -- Dresden does a lot of good, but he was on the tracks for the southbound train.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 05:49:21 PM »
A lot of her doing good involved killing people, after she joined the Fellowship. They were basically a terrorist organization and vampires aren't the only things they killed or blew up.

Who knows how the cosmology really shakes out -- Dresden does a lot of good, but he was on the tracks for the southbound train.
It is not just about what you did but ultimately about what sort of person you are when you die. Your choices make what you are but until you die that can be changed, that is why Michael still asks Nicodemus to give up the coin and start his road to redemption.

The problem with Harry was his let the world burn mentality that got Molly burned. Lasciel's lie robbed him of the chance to repent for that and change himself for the better. Uriel compensated by helping him to do exactly that.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 08:30:49 PM »
He probably didn't ask because he's scared of the answer.

If I were Harry, I'd be horrified to learn that I sent the woman I loved to Hell. If that's even a possible answer, I could see him not asking to avoid hearing that kind of truth.

That's my thought. I also agree with your point about not knowing how these things are determined in the DF. I recall something about how Hades gets most of its new souls from the Bloodgate nowadays. I don't recall if that was from Hades himself or a WoJ.

Offline Z054J

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 12:37:31 AM »
He could assume, based upon what he learned from Uriel in Ghost Story, at least that she was "somewhere" - but the first question is what happened to her soul when she turned.

Dresden may persecute himself for "murdering Susan Rodriquez" - but he didn't actually do that. If he had, the Bloodline Curse wouldn't have wiped out the Red Court. "Susan" was gone already when he killed the vampire she'd become. So - does the transformation obliterate or otherwise consume a person's soul, or do they get cast out and replaced by the demonic spirit that controls the flesh?

"You ARE a soul. You HAVE a body."

It seems most logical to say that in the case of a vampiric transformation, you lose the body. But, I don't recall what Dresden lore has to say on the subject.

--- --- ---
There aren't any magical words, really. Words just hold the magic.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »

Actually I think Susan went to Heaven, because in the end she did sacrifice herself for her child.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 01:59:49 PM »

Actually I think Susan went to Heaven, because in the end she did sacrifice herself for her child.
That was certainly Michael's interpretation in skin game.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 11:39:42 PM »

Not just HER child. I think that's the key factor why Heaven is a given (rather than a possible depending on the rest of what she did in her life).