Author Topic: Another bit of possible foreshadowing  (Read 11265 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Another bit of possible foreshadowing
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2018, 11:54:10 AM »
I mean Corpsetaker though. She was all dead (bullet to the back of the Skull) but she wasn't dead enough that she couldn't come back from it.

Death is really fuzzy in the Dresdenverse. The way I see it, Harry was dead alright... but as Bob put it, Dead=/=Gone.

Basically, Miracle Max has it wrong here. Mostly Dead? Easy Fix. All dead? Harder, but still doable. Very dead? Getting tricky but sure. Super Dead? Kiiiinnda pushing the boundary here. DED Dead? Okay yeah, now there's nothing left to do but go through their pockets for change.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 12:02:45 PM »
Kind of dead isn't really a meaningful statement. Neither is almost dead, or dead enough to fool gods and whoever else.  And had JB not wanted this confusion he should have picked another mythology other than the Christian one.  Christian(Catholic) mythology would say that (assisted) suicide is a mortal sin and condemns the soul to hell.  And thus, I assume, the imbalance that Urial was addressing.

While the point at which you die finally die isn't clear, there is a point where you are dead.  Which is what Mab's quote is about.  JB is channeling  biologists.
Maeve and Sarissa's dad was a composer in the 1600s or so, give or take.  Austrian I think.

As for Mab getting a baby off of Harry, I doubt it, just because Jim's gone to that well once already.
Twice.  And do you have a citation for the Austrian?  The WOJ database defies my search capabilities.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 02:51:07 PM by morriswalters »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2018, 12:31:44 PM »
Maeve and Sarissa's dad was a composer in the 1600s or so, give or take.  Austrian I think.

As for Mab getting a baby off of Harry, I doubt it, just because Jim's gone to that well once already.
Also, consider Mab's state at the end of Ghost Story -- she's decrepit and emaciated from spending the previous months keeping Harry's body alive. While there may well be significant differences between Faerie and Human physiology, it seems to me that she couldn't have been carrying a child and using up all her strength and wasting away saving Harry at the same time.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
Also, consider Mab's state at the end of Ghost Story -- she's decrepit and emaciated from spending the previous months keeping Harry's body alive. While there may well be significant differences between Faerie and Human physiology, it seems to me that she couldn't have been carrying a child and using up all her strength and wasting away saving Harry at the same time.

Makes me wonder if during this time of weakness it allowed enemies to move about, gaining ground.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2018, 06:18:54 PM »
Makes me wonder if during this time of weakness it allowed enemies to move about, gaining ground.
Probably! After all, she wasn't attending to her normal duties, and while she does have Lea, she may not have been able to cover all her bases.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »
I mean Corpsetaker though. She was all dead (bullet to the back of the Skull) but she wasn't dead enough that she couldn't come back from it.

Death is really fuzzy in the Dresdenverse. The way I see it, Harry was dead alright... but as Bob put it, Dead=/=Gone.

Basically, Miracle Max has it wrong here. Mostly Dead? Easy Fix. All dead? Harder, but still doable. Very dead? Getting tricky but sure. Super Dead? Kiiiinnda pushing the boundary here. DED Dead? Okay yeah, now there's nothing left to do but go through their pockets for change.

No, it is the spectrum that Mab spoke of..  Harry was in a very deep coma, without Team Mab keeping his vitals going he soon expire or pass over that horizon that no one returns... 

I disagree about what Miracle Max said, if Harry had been completely dead when he fell into her arms, Mab would have simply let him go or buried him...  You are also leaving out the bit that both Mort and Bob said, Harry was in danger because he wasn't really a ghost, as in what is left behind after one dies and is, all dead...

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »
Harry didn't buy a house in Deadville; but, he was definitely renting an apartment.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »
Harry didn't buy a house in Deadville; but, he was definitely renting an apartment.

More importantly, he had the option of moving there indefinitely (Uriel's Job offer). If you're dead enough to have an option of permanent residency in a Literal Ghost Town, you're dead enough to be labelled as "Dead" IMHO.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2018, 12:16:23 PM »
:)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 12:03:51 PM »
More importantly, he had the option of moving there indefinitely (Uriel's Job offer). If you're dead enough to have an option of permanent residency in a Literal Ghost Town, you're dead enough to be labelled as "Dead" IMHO.

Uriel also said that Harry wasn't a ghost... When Uriel gave Harry the job offer it was part of a choice don't think truly dead get a choice of jobs..  Then he sent Harry back..

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2018, 08:23:47 AM »
At the risk of confusing the discussion...

Uriel also said Harry IS a soul and HAS a body. As such whether or not his body was alive might not be so critical; his soul was certainly was acting like it had no body anymore. But his Soul had not vanished into the utter dark, so in that sense his Soul wasn't dead yet.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2018, 07:30:35 PM »
At the risk of confusing the discussion...

Uriel also said Harry IS a soul and HAS a body. As such whether or not his body was alive might not be so critical; his soul was certainly was acting like it had no body anymore. But his Soul had not vanished into the utter dark, so in that sense his Soul wasn't dead yet.

The soul doesn't die, it moves on from the mortal realm or is destroyed by a person's choices. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »
The soul doesn't die, it moves on from the mortal realm or is destroyed by a person's choices.
If the soul moves on, I'd call that death.