Author Topic: The Horned God, the Triple Goddess and the Pentagram  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
The Horned God, the Triple Goddess and the Pentagram
« on: September 15, 2018, 05:47:52 AM »
Hi gang,

In further research and meanderings I was reading a little bit about the relationship between the Horned God and the Triple Goddess in Wicca/Celtic mythology.

The pentagram is interesting. In Wicca, the two horns represent balance and are two points of the star, and the other points represent the Triple Goddess. This fits nicely with the nature of magic (the combination of the natural elements and magic) and the druid origins of the white council (the OG Merlin being originally a druid as well as a wizard).

Now Jim has mostly slotted the Horned God into the role of the Erlking/Herne/Cern, however I took interest in the part about the Warrior (youth), the Father and the Sage.

Now Herne and Kringle could be considered Fathers. Warriors/Youths correlate nicely with the Knight (though I am not sure this was intentional by Jim) but where is the Sage? This would be something akin to the Mothers, something unmentioned so far with no hints. I can only think of TWG or Archangels, but it seems a bit of a stretch.

Any thoughts?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Horned God, the Triple Goddess and the Pentagram
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 07:20:11 AM »
How about the Gatekeeper as the sage?

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 11:27:08 AM »
An odd choice considering the Queens scale up - lady<queen<mothers. So knight<fae king<sage (?) The gatekeeper is unlikely as powerful as the mothers - considering they outrank just about everything apart from archangels.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
An odd choice considering the Queens scale up - lady<queen<mothers. So knight<fae king<sage (?) The gatekeeper is unlikely as powerful as the mothers - considering they outrank just about everything apart from archangels.
I also believe Harry is weaker than the Ladies, and Mab vs Odin seems tilted against Odin (nevermind the Erlking vs Mab, which is even more lopsided). And the Gatekeeper is a very old Wizard.

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 01:05:42 PM »
The thing is we know they are limited in what power they can express, So is Rashid AS Gatekeeper, we've never seen him open up with his ultimate power, a Spiritual Greencard!

It's technically, his job to decide what reality needs in it, he just gets pigeonholed as the 'I keep things out' guy.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »
We're limited in what we know about the Gatekeeper.  But JB has teased that he might have thrown down with Demonreach and by inference the last warden.  Drag, thump.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:53:59 PM »
I also believe Harry is weaker than the Ladies, and Mab vs Odin seems tilted against Odin (nevermind the Erlking vs Mab, which is even more lopsided). And the Gatekeeper is a very old Wizard.

Very true but my point is that he doesn't likely outrank Odin in power, (who himself is several millennia old.

Sibelis, it has always seemed the Gatekeeper is more dangerous not because he has tons of magical might, but because he (like a true JB wizard) has knowledge and ability to affect enemies most vulnerable elements. Which is not to say he isn't a bad ass wizard, but if Harry or Eb is like a hammer, Rashid is like a scalpel.

We're limited in what we know about the Gatekeeper.  But JB has teased that he might have thrown down with Demonreach and by inference the last warden.  Drag, thump.

Sorry Morris, believe that one has been debunked by the man JB himself. He said what caused the limp was the last friggin ice age, which one could interpret as the island being physically limited (like being cut off from the ocean perhaps). Check out Serack's WOJ page under demonreach - pretty sure it has the direct quote. 

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 12:45:40 AM »

The spirit's limp is from the glaciers hitting the island in the last ice age. It has some sort of strained history with Rashid, but Harry was wrong about connecting it to the limp.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 11:05:43 PM »
JB has said, I believe, that the Kings of Winter and Summer are not organized the way the females are.  There is no Prince, King, Father dynamic in the fae courts.  The Kings just rule their areas, loosely affiliated with their respective Queens.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 11:59:49 PM »
With all the pantheons fading away, and those remaining relevant having anchors in modern society, I'd say the most powerful male figure left (outside of religion) is Father Time.

If he exists, that is. 

*And* there's an opposing duality with him (old man and new born) just like the rest.  Not to mention the paternal title balancing with the Mothers' maternal one.

The most likely time we'd see him (if he existed) would be in the time travel book.

For staying anchored, he's got a major holiday that the entire world celebrates.  If he's Janus, then he's also got a month named after him.

For identity, I'd personally prefer him to be the current identity for Janus. But Cronus/Saturn seems like a better bet.  Maybe the mantle was passed to Janus from Cronus (although there's some stuff saying the association with Cronus and time might be misplaced). 

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 12:04:19 AM »
Course Father Time exists, he's been mentioned twice, Once by Mab when telling Harry Time Himself moves against him, and... He's the slowest terror Mankind will ever know. The slow bleating weight of eternity. Also, that Hwwbh as Death serves Father Time as his chief commander makes total sense.... when you realize the original oppenheimer quote 'I am become death' is actually translated "now I am world destroying time."

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 12:19:23 AM »
Course Father Time exists, he's been mentioned twice, Once by Mab when telling Harry Time Himself moves against him, and... He's the slowest terror Mankind will ever know. The slow bleating weight of eternity. Also, that Hwwbh as Death serves Father Time as his chief commander makes total sense.... when you realize the original oppenheimer quote 'I am become death' is actually translated "now I am world destroying time."
Except the concept of this proposed theory is about beings of reality.  LoST being a mirror of FT seems logical, but LoST being FT (with his own agents) doesn't work with the Knight/King hierarchy.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 01:33:09 AM »
Sorry Morris, believe that one has been debunked by the man JB himself. He said what caused the limp was the last friggin ice age, which one could interpret as the island being physically limited (like being cut off from the ocean perhaps). Check out Serack's WOJ page under demonreach - pretty sure it has the direct quote.
Well, yes.  It appears you are correct.  However it is more than a little disingenuous on JB's part. 

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
Except the concept of this proposed theory is about beings of reality.  LoST being a mirror of FT seems logical, but LoST being FT (with his own agents) doesn't work with the Knight/King hierarchy.
You lost me there? LoST can't be king of things because here in reality the kings have no knights?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 05:08:02 PM »
I'd just fear that Time is too vast a concept by far to be a single person/character. He/It would operate, by my estimate of humanity, ABOVE the levels of Uriel and his ilk. Uriel CAN destroy galaxies. Time WILL wreck them all. Time made them, too.

So, the best he can be is an utterly isolated abstraction, lest the universe implode under him sneezing.