Author Topic: Monster LLC: Goodman Grey a Venator?  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Monster LLC: Goodman Grey a Venator?
« on: June 17, 2018, 05:55:57 AM »
From the Lexington signing on 6-7-18.

Question about the oblivion war and whether we will see Harry involved with it. Jim gave the usual answer about people fighting the oblivion war avoiding Wizards like the plague because of their propensity to hoard knowledge. Then he goes on to say that Goodman Grey is involved with the war and it can potentially be a part of the spinoff series. It would work well for that character because of how spread out in time "battles" are fought in, where there will be a flurry of activity for a little bit and then nothing else happens for 30  years, and Grey is very Very old.

Does this mean that Grey is a Venator, or at least an ally of theirs? Certainly being human isn't a qualification since we know Thomas is one.

I, for one, really really hope that Jim is able to make this series happen eventually. I know he has tons on his plate already but still.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Monster LLC: Goodman Grey a Venator?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
Maybe.  Or maybe he's a contractor that has worked with the Archive in the past. 

[SHAMELESS PLUG] If you're interested in reading stories in the Dresdenverse from the perspective of a free-lance monster that's long-lived and has flashbacks to the old days and may or may not have worked jobs similar to those of the Venatori, feel free to check out my Dalca Files short stories over at fanfiction.net.  The protagonist is much darker than Grey would ever be, but there are some parallels. [/END SHAMELESS PLUG]

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 12:24:01 PM »
Hah.  I'm going to link this in with my out there WAG's. 

I have had the wag that Harry's Bonea becomes the foundation at some point via TT for the Archive.  Therefore Goodman Grey's assistance in Skin Game is linked to the preservation of the Archive line.  Maybe the rent Goodman Grey is paying is wrapped up in some service to this Archive construct.  And since the Archive is partially dependent on some time travel loop involving Bonea, Goodman Grey 'wanted/needed' to get involved to give an assist to Harry to help keep the Archive free and alive.

We do know something big was going down in Skin Game by virtue of the fact that Uriel, an Archangel, gave up his Grace to Michael so that he could get fixed and accompany Harry on the trip with Nicodemus into Hades domain.  We don't know all of what Uriel's plan was, but it had to be momentous. I mean if Uriel had died in Skin Game, per WOJL, Michael would have ascended to become Uriel. (I recall seeing a reported WOJ but not see the actual source.)  So, there likely were several very big things in play.  I mostly thought it was centered around Nicodemus and saving his soul.  I'm wondering if part of it was also keeping Bonea out of the hands of the bad guys.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:44:45 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 06:15:15 PM »
Grey can also skip around in time and has likely appeared as someone else in our DF history books i'd think.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:01:02 AM »
Grey can also skip around in time and has likely appeared as someone else in our DF history books i'd think.

To clarify, I don’t think he actually skips around in time, I think Jim meant that because he is old the POV in the story can jump around in time. There’s a distinct difference between those two things around both the DF and the denizens of this forum. Some posters take their time travel WAGs very seriously.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 03:25:24 AM »
To clarify, I don’t think he actually skips around in time, I think Jim meant that because he is old the POV in the story can jump around in time. There’s a distinct difference between those two things around both the DF and the denizens of this forum. Some posters take their time travel WAGs very seriously.
No, No. "he actually kinda enjoys it" was more or less what was said upon it. Look at the context of the conversation.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Jcarlson171

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 01:53:29 AM »
So tying my own set of WAG in could Grey be related to Odin? (mainly based on jim saying "he really enjoys it" and using that same description for Odin) Then Odin could have established the Venators, after the Jotuns retreated from the gates to try and kick out something that had gotten in (Nemesis) Grey is then supposed to keep the Venators on track.

Not sure how to fit in the Archive but I'll keep thinking.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 11:00:30 PM »
Just remember, Goodman Grey does things for Rent.  Or at least, he did the job for Harry in Skin Game for Rent.  Many speculate it was a good deed to keep in good standing, but I'm wondering if it was related to the Archive.  After all, Nic and gang did kidnap her.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:02:37 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html