Author Topic: Best question answer at the Virginia book signing  (Read 15873 times)

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Best question answer at the Virginia book signing
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2018, 05:05:13 AM »
I was there too (was the one to ask the first questions) and I disagree with this- the best answer was the one he gave to the sassy girl who asked why his female characters weren't more diverse.  You could feel the scorn he put into his explanation, the split second he glared back at her.  It was magical.

That aside, it probably won't involve killing a dude.  We've already had the drama from that.  Unless it's "destroy this person/place/thing", "save this person/place/thing", and "stay away from this person/place/thing".  There really isn't all that much more that the Knight is necessary for, at least not that I can think of.  His whole purpose is to kill.

That may be the most common use of them, but I suspect there are others.  Anything requiring mortal free will to get around the Sidhe rules is likely to involve the Knight.  Likewise, more prosaically, anything involving ferrous metals might involve calling in Harry or Fix.  If it becomes necessary to carry out some errand in the middle of a steel mill, who ya gonna call?

And even if he did get conflicting orders, would the fact that he's Mab's chosen Knight mean he's more bound to her word than Molly's or Mother's?

Maybe, but I think it might more likely involve the jurisdiction.  Bob told Harry that the Knights have specific, different duties to each royal, and the Mothers have said that even they are not permitted to interfere with the Queen and the Lady in their respective areas of authority.  So conflicting orders might resolve to 'who is in charge of this area?'.  So in her area Molly might take precedence over Mab or Mother Winter, likewise Mab in her area, or Mother Winter.  It just so happens that Mab's 'area' is a lot bigger than Molly's, and MW's is a lot bigger than Mab's.

So I would guess that probably most conflicts would resolve in favor of the older royal, but not necessarily all.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2018, 05:07:15 AM »
Can you recall his answer? I love when authors remind readers that they aren't obligated to write characters from every conceivable background (and why it's often a bad idea for them to even try).

As for the OP question: what if Mother Winter demands Harry return her staff, while Mab doesn't want to start a big conflict with the White Council?

JB has said the Mother Winter wants it back, but has he ever said that she knows who has it?

Granted, it seems like a huge stretch that she would not know the Council has it, but OTOH, if she knew and the Council stole it (I believe JB did say 'stole'), why wouldn't she just take it back?  There are very few powers that could stop her, if she had the legal right under Sidhe law.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2018, 05:14:23 AM »
Precisely. I think the stealing was done in a way that is acceptable under the Sidhe law, so she can't do anything. At least, not directly-

I also agree about how conflicting orders could be resolved.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »
Precisely. I think the stealing was done in a way that is acceptable under the Sidhe law, so she can't do anything. At least, not directly-

Same.  My theory is that she "loaned" it to her Knight once upon a time needing to Empower him, but said knight (maybe Merlin, who knows) found a loophole in the terms of when he had to give it back.  Basically like that time Caesar was given "temporary" wartime powers and just decided to not give them back. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2018, 04:11:15 PM »
Same.  My theory is that she "loaned" it to her Knight once upon a time needing to Empower him, but said knight (maybe Merlin, who knows) found a loophole in the terms of when he had to give it back.  Basically like that time Caesar was given "temporary" wartime powers and just decided to not give them back.

I like that scenario. "You can have the staff until the conflict with XYZ is resolved." All the knight has to do is decide that the conflict is never resolved.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
I don't remember MW exact words. Remember she cannot lie.I believe she said she lost it, right? If so, she may understand she lost it fair and square.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2018, 12:52:35 AM »
My interpretation of Jim’s answer is basically “the moment I am writing and start thinking “oh no I don’t have enough of this type of person so who should I change?” Is the moment I am both not writing the story I see in my head, and I am inserting politics into the story. I don’t want to do either of those things, so I will keep writing the same way I always have”

That is a great answer to the question. For what it’s worth, my wife has always said she wouldn’t mind some different body types in the books, but his answer makes perfect sense.

As for his tone, I think he answered in a way to make it plain he had heard the question before, he understands where it is coming from, but it’s not something he intends to pay any attention to.
Let the writer write the way he wants to write.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2018, 03:00:12 AM »

I theorize it was actually done in such a way as to satisfy cosmic balance, They were allowed to steal it and incur that debt so as she could avoid owing them by giving it out, though it was necessary for them to acquire it.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2018, 03:44:26 AM »
I don't remember MW exact words. Remember she cannot lie.I believe she said she lost it, right? If so, she may understand she lost it fair and square.

Wasn't Archangel or one of the places lost to Merlin in a bet?  Perhaps Mother Winter lost some sort of wager?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2018, 01:00:52 PM »
Wasn't Archangel or one of the places lost to Merlin in a bet?  Perhaps Mother Winter lost some sort of wager?
Edinburough, he apparently won it from a wyldfae king. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2018, 05:02:06 PM »
Quote from: LordDresden2 link=topic=51401.msg2308596#msg2308596

So I would guess that probably most conflicts would resolve in favor of the older royal, but not necessarily all.

It’s the Sidhe it’s never that simple. It could very easily come down to who Harry has incurred the most obligation with. And there is considerable question as to how much Molly considers herself owing Harry, and vice versa. Their personal relationship is potentially a very significant factor in any power struggles between Molly and Mab, something I am sure Mab is just thrilled about.