Author Topic: Best question answer at the Virginia book signing  (Read 16010 times)

Offline twobee

• Participant
    • View Profile
Best question answer at the Virginia book signing
« on: June 10, 2018, 09:36:20 PM »
At the Barnes & Noble in McLean, VA, the best answer of the day was to the question "Could the Winter Queens give Harry conflicting orders?" Jim's response? "Well they can now! That sounds awesome!" So now we have that to look forward to. What contradictory orders do you think Dresden will be getting, how will he resolve it, and how many buildings will be destroyed in the process?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Best question answer at the Virginia book signing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:56:49 PM »
Whatever they are, they'd have to both be beneficial to Winter.  I think the only reason Maeve was able to suggest going against Mab in CD was because of her infection.  If the Queens are all tied to Winter's purpose, then they can't conflict in that aspect.

In other Sidhe news, there was confirmation that Maeve did sexual things, but never had intercourse, and Lily and Fix weren't together sexually either.  The maidens might have some loopholes in their activity, but loosing their maiden-status wasn't one of them.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 11:40:30 PM »
That's cool and all, but I really wish someone had got a question in about how in the hell Vlad Tepes went from black court king to Mab's lawn ornament.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 12:53:11 AM »
That's cool and all, but I really wish someone had got a question in about how in the hell Vlad Tepes went from black court king to Mab's lawn ornament.
I thought about it, but it felt too much like a gotcha question at the moment.  He also contradicted a previous comment on the death curse being satisfied by his death, this time saying it wasn't because Harry didn't really die.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 01:20:21 AM »
I thought about it, but it felt too much like a gotcha question at the moment.  He also contradicted a previous comment on the death curse being satisfied by his death, this time saying it wasn't because Harry didn't really die.
To be fair the official woj I've read on that was 'sorta, maybe and we'll see'.
Personally... I think he had a really good tie in to why Vlad was there but it changed slightly from 'because of Mab' to the more ephemeral 'custodian' answer.... Short answer is he found a place to add another layer at some point. The BC was pissing everyone off with their sudden growth in power though, personally I think he ended up there for much the same reason Leah was, except he's not going to be cured BUT... we know the people in the ice are not frozen inside, else she could never have worked on Leah's mind/spirit while she was frozen. So Vlad saw Harry Dresden :o
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Dashkull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 01:36:29 AM »

He was very certain and specific this time. It was a definite no, it did not effect the death curse.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 02:08:08 AM »
He was very certain and specific this time. It was a definite no, it did not effect the death curse.
Exactly.  This time was definitive, but previously he leaned (as far as I can recall) toward it having satisfied the curse.  Now it hasn't.

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 11:24:13 AM »
I was there too (was the one to ask the first questions) and I disagree with this- the best answer was the one he gave to the sassy girl who asked why his female characters weren't more diverse.  You could feel the scorn he put into his explanation, the split second he glared back at her.  It was magical.

That aside, it probably won't involve killing a dude.  We've already had the drama from that.  Unless it's "destroy this person/place/thing", "save this person/place/thing", and "stay away from this person/place/thing".  There really isn't all that much more that the Knight is necessary for, at least not that I can think of.  His whole purpose is to kill.  And even if he did get conflicting orders, would the fact that he's Mab's chosen Knight mean he's more bound to her word than Molly's or Mother's?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »
There really isn't all that much more that the Knight is necessary for, at least not that I can think of.  His whole purpose is to kill. 
I have to think this is too simplistic a description.  His whole purpose is to Utilize his Mortal Free Will to do things for the Queens that they cannot do for themselves.  The fact that Winter traditionally interprets that to mean "Kill the Unaffiliated for Me", there are a bunch of other uses that could come up.   And in the case of the Mother, I have to think she's got more important things to worry about than the killing of any One being (that Harry could actually take).

And even if he did get conflicting orders, would the fact that he's Mab's chosen Knight mean he's more bound to her word than Molly's or Mother's?
Based on how Bob originally described it in SK, the Knight has specific Duties to all three.  I dont think his actual duties change even his "handler" does.  As far as how Conflicting Orders could happen: Easiest Explanation is that Molly makes some direct Statement, and as Winter nobility her Words become binding to the Court itself, and do so /before/ Mab issues any conflicting Orders. I dont think Molly could actually issue Orders Counter to Winter Law, which itself seems to be defined by Mab's Words/Authority (as the Queen who Is), but I think she could issue Orders or Promises with less Forsight than Mab, and by doing she could put Mab in a Corner.  It would be a legalese Knot, like the Doughnut episode with Gruff or how Harry was able to Threaten Mab at the end of SG by threatening to besmirch the Honor of Winter. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »
the best answer was the one he gave to the sassy girl who asked why his female characters weren't more diverse.  You could feel the scorn he put into his explanation, the split second he glared back at her.  It was magical.

Can you recall his answer? I love when authors remind readers that they aren't obligated to write characters from every conceivable background (and why it's often a bad idea for them to even try).

As for the OP question: what if Mother Winter demands Harry return her staff, while Mab doesn't want to start a big conflict with the White Council?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 02:36:55 PM »
Can you recall his answer? I love when authors remind readers that they aren't obligated to write characters from every conceivable background (and why it's often a bad idea for them to even try).
He didn't come across as scornful to me, nor did he seem to be glaring.  I thought it was pretty polite rebuff to the question.  But everyone interpets things differently.

Garrett filmed the session, so it should be posted soon. 

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 03:20:27 PM »
I have to think this is too simplistic a description.  His whole purpose is to Utilize his Mortal Free Will to do things for the Queens that they cannot do for themselves.  The fact that Winter traditionally interprets that to mean "Kill the Unaffiliated for Me", there are a bunch of other uses that could come up.   And in the case of the Mother, I have to think she's got more important things to worry about than the killing of any One being (that Harry could actually take).
His technical purpose is being able to violate free will as a mortal himself(also maybe creating insulation from Mab being mortal) They use him to do anything they see needed they cannot directly do themselves. I'm sure there's even more to it, But what they've used him for is to effect their Will on reality by proxy of a Willful Cat's paw.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »
His technical purpose is being able to violate free will as a mortal himself(also maybe creating insulation from Mab being mortal) They use him to do anything they see needed they cannot directly do themselves. I'm sure there's even more to it, But what they've used him for is to effect their Will on reality by proxy of a Willful Cat's paw.
Precisely.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 07:16:11 PM »
He didn't come across as scornful to me, nor did he seem to be glaring.  I thought it was pretty polite rebuff to the question.  But everyone interpets things differently.

Garrett filmed the session, so it should be posted soon.
  It's entirely possible I was reading too much into it, granted.  And perhaps scorn isn't the right word; maybe defiance?  He was very measured and polite on the surface, but to me this seemed like a very pointed question (to my ears, the lady might as well have thrown the glove down) and Jim responded with just as much, but much more effectively veiled sass.  "I don't try to inject my politics into my writing, and I don't like it when people do that".  That's how I remember his words (paraphrased, of course), and at some point I could swear I saw him squinting back at her with something like annoyance.  That final look he gave the crowd when he was done, that shrugging "so yeah, wadda ya gonna do" face really sealed it for me.
  Again, I might be projecting; I hate it when people inject politics and social commentary into stories for its own sake, especially when it detracts from the narrative.  Hearing Jim say what he did tickled me to no end.  If I catch the video and it turns out not to have gone down how I remember it, I'll be sure to amend my statement.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 08:34:34 PM »
That sounds about as right an answer as you can give to a question like that.