Author Topic: Snoopy, Loup Garou, and Mouse  (Read 12115 times)

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Snoopy, Loup Garou, and Mouse
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 05:37:04 AM »
Yes, unlikely. I don't think there's more to it than Mouse's ability to sense the supernatural.
Forumghost: keep in mind that the Loup Garou curse lasted for centuries. And I'd say it's useless for tracking/thaumaturgy, not necessarily useless as food. I've eaten much worse. Hehe
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 06:21:00 AM »
I vaguely remember seeing the video where Jim talks about what we (the readers) would pick up on when we eventually reread the entire series.  The way I remember it, Jim only used Mouse and the Snoopy doll as an example.  I think there are many things we are supposed to discover on a later read through.  Some are still hidden to us.  For example, there could be something about Mab or Lea that will be revealed much later on, but when we reread Grave Peril, Summer Knight or Proven Guilty after all has been revealed, there will something that makes us say to ourselves, "So that's what was this bit of action or dialog was really hinting at."

I haven't done a reread or listened to the series (so far) in a couple of years.  So I can't think of anything specific off hand, so I'm wondering what other plot elements or character developments do you remember being foreshadowed in an early book that eventually became clear later on? 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 07:38:05 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 02:39:52 PM »
I'm was thinking it was probably Murphy that kept the Snoopy around.
The Snoopy doll probably reminded her of Carmichael. I could see her keeping it around as a reminder of both her old partner, and something about the price of fighting evil.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
I vaguely remember seeing the video where Jim talks about what we (the readers) would pick up on when we eventually reread the entire series.  The way I remember it, Jim only used Mouse and the Snoopy doll as an example.  I think there are many things we are supposed to discover on a later read through.  Some are still hidden to us.  For example, there could be something about Mab or Lea that will be revealed much later on, but when we reread Grave Peril, Summer Knight or Proven Guilty after all has been revealed, there will something that makes us say to ourselves, "So that's what was this bit of action or dialog was really hinting at."

Yay, somebody else has remembered the video.  Do you know which video?  Probably not.  Still...
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »
Yeah. I think that was where he was going.  Once we finish the series and get familiar with what exactly is a Foo Dog, an Ice Demon from the Land of Dreams, and Mouse's semidivine heritage, we will get an appreciation for exactly the metaphysical something that may have been going on between the puppy mouse and the stained Snoopy. Something that is a bit more than met the eye.

a little off topic, but I had forgotten that Mouse was characterized as an Ice Demon, I would think that in the right conditions, an Ice Demon and a Winter Knight could work reallly well together...

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »
Keeping in mind that the people who called him that were insane.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 05:02:56 PM »
Fwiw, Land of Dreams is another name for the Tibetan region of China and Nepal, so

Keeping in mind that the people who called him that were insane.
True, but at least one of them couldnt Lie; Lea at least referred to him as a Demon and seemed to assume he should be sourcing his power in his homeland. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
Does not mean they were inaccurate. Tibet is known for it's ice demoness and her entourage as well as it's Foo dog Temples, some of which are the Temples that help bind said demoness. But as for the dream land comment, I've always figured The Temple attacked in Tibet by the Rakshasa behind the scenes(in DB?) was the earthly connection to the dream lands, where the sleepers could attempt to manifest back through... also though, Harry starts, and stops having weird dreams at the same time Mouse arrives. That bit was stated I think to cluebat towards his actual purpose.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
I mean tbh it seems unlikely. Remember SK? Maeve got all mad at Slate because the blood he brought her from Elaine was dried and useless. And Magical energies naturally bleed off with every sunrise.

That sort of thing tends to be very time-sensitive, and snoopy had been there a long time before Mouse found it.

Didn't Harry once note that the Council has a sample of his blood to track him if he goes rogue? That suggests there might be some way to establish a long-term link. Here, using the blood in the Snoopy ritual while the blood was still good might have made the Snoopy a long-term link.

I mean, Mouse drags it in a circle while making squeeky growls. That sounds like chanting while closing a circle to me.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 08:15:55 PM »
a little off topic, but I had forgotten that Mouse was characterized as an Ice Demon, I would think that in the right conditions, an Ice Demon and a Winter Knight could work reallly well together...

Never heard of that before.  I wouldn't characterize him with any "demon" since Uriel referred to him as "little brother", and he's descended from a Celestial Being.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 08:40:18 PM »
Never heard of that before.  I wouldn't characterize him with any "demon" since Uriel referred to him as "little brother", and he's descended from a Celestial Being.

Here's the quote from Changes, the description is from Esmerelda...

“The Ik’k’uox,” she said in a distant, puzzled voice. “It is in pain. It flees. It . . .” She opened her eyes very wide, and suddenly they flooded in solid black, just as the creature’s had been. “Oh! It cheated!” Her face turned down to mine, and she bared her fangs. “It cheated! It brought a demon of its own! A mountain ice demon from the Land of Dreams!”

Butcher, Jim. Changes (The Dresden Files, Book 12) (p. 201). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 02:23:13 AM »
I mean, Mouse drags it in a circle while making squeeky growls. That sounds like chanting while closing a circle to me.

Nice catch.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 06:17:16 AM »
Didn't Harry once note that the Council has a sample of his blood to track him if he goes rogue? That suggests there might be some way to establish a long-term link. Here, using the blood in the Snoopy ritual while the blood was still good might have made the Snoopy a long-term link.

Yes, if you take a blood sample properly, put it in a vial with anticoagulant, it'd keep for a goodly long while. Dry blood is worth f@** all as a link
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
Yes, if you take a blood sample properly, put it in a vial with anticoagulant, it'd keep for a goodly long while. Dry blood is worth f@** all as a link
Agreed.  They've said you can freeze it (or at least Mab can) but other than than it needs normal storage&care. Though if we are talking Magic, it's entirely possible the council has supernatural storage means, including at least two different routes to legal temporal manipulation (Steed and relativistic NN)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »
I will point out there may be a distinction to be made between foo dog magic and human magic based on dried blood.  Foo dog magic may have done something with the Snoopy doll that would otherwise have been impossible for a human. And we have a Foo dog with semidivine status heritage and doll with stains that can be linked to a Loup Garou cursed by a divine backed Saint.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:14:01 PM by raidem »