Author Topic: Dear Jim  (Read 20994 times)

Offline alllawyersarewizards

• Participant
  • Lex Ubique Est
    • View Profile
Dear Jim
« on: April 14, 2018, 08:09:05 PM »
Dear Jim:

Your fan community is dying. What was once a verdant and energetic scene is now defunct. We used to theorize, speculate, and obsess over detail. Now we don’t even recall the bliss of sample chapters or surprising twists. You’ve left us hanging, man, and it hurts.
But that pain fades.

I check for updates on Peace Talks less and less. I no longer wonder about Cowl’s identity or who fixed Little Chicago. It was fun while you cared enough to actually write some stuff, but I guess it’s over now.

Wish it could have ended differently. I would have followed you the end, to the very fires of Mordor.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Jim
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »
I know you're frustrated, but don't fret!  Peace Talks will most likely be out in October.  So enjoy your spring, and summer and come fall you will have a great book coming out!  While you're waiting check out some other books, or reread the series to pick up on stuff you may have forgotten, or missed.  You can bet that after Peace Talks is out there will be a whole lot of theory crafting going on back here on the forums!

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:29:49 PM »
We've been told before that it should be out by this time or that, just for that time to pass.

I feel the pain of the poster but I think Jim will have one out this year.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:17:30 AM »
Brief Cases is coming out in June.  That may not do much for the hardcore guys who've read everything already, but it has me excited.

And, I believe he did write a short story just for that anthology.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 06:24:54 PM »
Since I haven't read even one of those short stories, for me it's almost as if I get two books this year (if we assume that Peace Talks will still be out in 2018). Yeah, it's been a damn long time, but compared to another very popular writer, it hasn't been all that long.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 09:11:02 PM »
Yeah, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that we'll have had fifteen books and two anthologies (17 books total) in 18 years and 2 months once BC comes out.  Not to mention 6 original comic book stories, 6 Alera books, 1 Spiderman book, and 1 Spires book, for a grand total of 31 major releases from Butcher in that time.  Which averages to a release every 7 months.

That doesn't even count the anthology he edited, which was likely time consuming and required significant effort, or the contributions to the show, RPGs and card game.

Offline alllawyersarewizards

• Participant
  • Lex Ubique Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 03:08:10 AM »
Don’t obfuscate this. JB has given up on us. It is what it is. The bs anthologies are nothing more than an (poor) attempt to keep readers happy. Write a novel if you care so much about your fans. I show up to work everyday just like you.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 03:58:58 AM »
Don’t obfuscate this. JB has given up on us. It is what it is. The bs anthologies are nothing more than an (poor) attempt to keep readers happy. Write a novel if you care so much about your fans. I show up to work everyday just like you.
My apologies.  Perhaps we weren't as sympathetic to your plight as we should have been.  Needless to say, the only work of his that should "count" is the work you prefer. 

My sympathies, in this most trying of times.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
You are not owed a book by Jim Butcher.  If he chooses to take up his eponymous  trade and never write again you have no claim for anything from Jim Butcher.  I want to read Peace Talks as much as any other fan but guess what... life happens.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:20:30 PM by SerScot »
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
No, GRRM gave up on his fans perhaps, Jim took personal time for himself after he managed to get the chain keeping him at his desk unlocked. Don't worry, we'll use thicker chains and bigger locks net time. But i fear with mistreatment like this he'll just stop caring about his fans and those whom simply seem to call themselves fans without bona fides.
YOU Sir, are NOT fanatical and you don't deserve the title..... Even i don't give a damn about Bandwagon 'fans' so idc if Jim does certainly, just saying..
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »
What if this is actually Jim trolling us?  It could be!  probably not...
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 10:39:26 PM »
What if this is actually Jim trolling us?  It could be!  probably not...

Y'know, it could be. It's not like he doesn't have time, what with not doing much writing and all...

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
Y'know, it could be. It's not like he doesn't have time, what with not doing much writing and all...

I mean his last novel (Aeronauts Windlass) was published Sep 2015. 3-4 years between books is about average for most Authors; Jim has just been well ahead of the curve until now.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 01:15:29 AM »
I mean his last novel (Aeronauts Windlass) was published Sep 2015. 3-4 years between books is about average for most Authors; Jim has just been well ahead of the curve until now.
He had youthful vigor and an idea well thought ahead to go from, of course he could pump them out faster. I'm not really sure how old he is, but i'm thirty and i'm feeling it already so...
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 01:10:31 PM »

Yep. We were spoiled for a long time. Hell, there were even a few years when we got two books, with the Codex Alera included.

The reason we're all feeling it is because it's a serial. If they were just loosely connected books that took place in the same universe, like Stephen King, we wouldn't care as much.