Author Topic: Dear Jim  (Read 21155 times)

Offline flying peach

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Jim
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 02:06:27 AM »
flying peach,

Here's my difficulty with your position "owed" implies a legal obligation.  I just don't see that.  We were given a book that is part of a series.  We paid for the book and read the book with full knowledge of the fact that is a part of a series.  There is no guarantee the series will ever be complete.  There is no obligation by the author to complete the series.  That might make the writer who chooses to hang up his pen and become a... blacksmith a bit of a jerk but there is nothing we can do about that other than kvetch that it was not fair that we didn't get the "whole story". 

My problem is that when people claim they are "owed" something by a writer they really don't know what they are talking about.  When you buy a book, you get the book that you bought, and nothing more.  There is no legally binding promise to finish the full story.

I wasn't planning on posting here again in this thread (I edited this to add in this thread), but if someone writes a thoughtful response it deserves a response. In fact, I feel like I OWE it to you. ;) Har, har, har.

It's been a long week and this will be a bit stream of consciousness so if you''ll tolerate me I'll set forth my position.

Owed isn't strictly limited to a legal obligation. It infers an obligation, whether of a legal nature or not. For instance, a person can owe a responsibility or duty (if you have a legal background and a happy contrarian streak right not you are thinking "but what about legally imposed duties and contractual duties" and my response is "I'm excluding the legal theory"). It's even possible to "owe it to yourself" as well as "owe it to your children." Or think about the common phrases of "owe an apology," or "owe an explanation" or even the phrase "owe common courtesy."

I believe that as a matter of courtesy a writer of a trilogy or series owes the reader a responsibility to make a reasonable effort to finish the trilogy or series. The following events would be a noninclusive list of things that I would consider being valid reasons for the writer to give up on a series: the publisher decided not to continue the series, the writer got sick, the writer had things come up in his personal life and wasn't in the right of state of mind to write anymore, or the writer couldn't feed himself with the money he was earning and couldn't write anymore. 

If Jim never finishes the series because he had stuff come up, that's cool. He seems like a nice guy and I think he probably would have made a reasonable effort to finish the series. I'll be disappointed, but it won't be the first writer I had fade out on a series.

No actually that's just how I communicate, are you currently attacking me???

I wasn't trying to attack you. I rewrote several things and deleted several things in an effort to make sure that it was a disagreement rather than a personal attack. I'll continue to make an effort to respectfully disagree.

I was stating pretty pure facts there Bub.

What facts are you referring to?

I was relating my personal opinion regarding not just this but all bandwagon auctioning and pointing out, that the original 'attack on Jim for not caring was backed by real fan's knowing that's not what's going.

I don't know what this means.

If you are saying that the op said that Jim doesn't care about his fans and that you believe Jim cares about his fans, then I have no argument with that. Jim seems like a nice guy. I don't believe it correlates with the portion of your post I originally quoted though. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:02:46 PM by flying peach »

Offline FreshCorpse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 03:06:03 AM »

Offline TheJrade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2018, 05:12:16 AM »
Authors are gonna write when they are gonna write.

But dude IS spot on about this site.  There is not a lot of activity going down here.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 02:00:36 AM »
Authors are gonna write when they are gonna write.

But dude IS spot on about this site.  There is not a lot of activity going down here.

We, unfortunately, have little to talk about at this time that hasn’t been previously chewed to death.  If I read the word “mantle” once more my head might explode.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 04:03:23 AM »
We, unfortunately, have little to talk about at this time that hasn’t been previously chewed to death.  If I read the word “mantle” once more my head might explode.
Pallium?  Laena?  Chlamis?

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »

Then I probably shouldn't start a discussion about what Harry kept over his fireplace?

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 12:58:34 PM »
Then I probably shouldn't start a discussion about what Harry kept over his fireplace?

Well his winter mantle was probably decorated for Christmas.  Maybe Some of those ceramic town scenes some nice candles and a snow globe or two?

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »
You have a “mantel” over your fireplace.  And you wear a “mantle”.

;)

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/mantel-or-mantle
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »
Hence forth I will discuss them as a cloak of power and a fireplace shelf. 

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 12:23:33 AM »
  So, you don't want to talk about the interior of the Earth between the core and the crust, a fragile mesh covering around a gas jet, or the upper part of bird of prey's back?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2018, 03:02:46 AM »
  So, you don't want to talk about the interior of the Earth between the core and the crust, a fragile mesh covering around a gas jet, or the upper part of bird of prey's back?

I want to see Harry find a Mantle for making new Mantles hidden in a mantel next to a pit that reaches all the way to the Earth’s Mantle.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2018, 03:29:11 AM »
I want to see Harry find a Mantle for making new Mantles hidden in a mantel next to a pit that reaches all the way to the Earth’s Mantle.

What about a Mantle that destroys other Mantles?

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2018, 04:36:16 AM »

But he'll only be a man 'til he finds it. Afterwards he'll be a God

Offline libraryelf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2018, 06:15:49 AM »
It is not Mr. Butcher we need to talk to. He can not write, if the wizard stops telling his stories. Harry isn't "talking" to Jim. If we do recieve Peace talks this year I'll be happy. I now live on the Big Island of Hawaii, so I don't know if or when my library will buy the book. My library has the other books. Right now I am working my way thru Sue Grafton's, may she RIP, A-Y series. Also Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series, Linda Castillo's series, Jude Deaxuer, sorry for spelling, and my cozy mystery books. I read whatever catches my eye. So everyone, lets see if we can the wizard to "talk" to Jim so we can have our books. Harry must be upset aout something. He always blames himself if something goes wrong. Maybe Harry can set up a trust fund for his daughter from the money he gets from Jim writing his story. LOL!!!

Offline Darkest-Before-Dawn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2018, 12:29:32 PM »
Right now I am working my way thru Sue Grafton's, may she RIP, A-Y series. Also Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series, Linda Castillo's series, Jude Deaxuer, sorry for spelling, and my cozy mystery books.

The Mercy Thompson series is, in my opinion, the most consistently well written urban fantasy series I've tried next to the DF. Fleshed out characters, great plots, and best of all tons of books to read until Peace Talks