Author Topic: Government involvement *spoiler*  (Read 5050 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Government involvement *spoiler*
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »
What I didn't understand was LtW threatening to report Harry to the Council because he wasn't supposed to break the laws when Harry was expressing anger but hadn't used any magic at all.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 06:46:44 PM »
What I didn't understand was LtW threatening to report Harry to the Council because he wasn't supposed to break the laws when Harry was expressing anger but hadn't used any magic at all.
Molly was under the Doom of Damocles at the time, and as her mentor, so was Harry.  He was supposed to be responsible for teaching her how to control her magic -- and her emotions, presumably, since magic is tied to emotions.

L2W witnessed Harry on the verge of beating a young man in a Halloween mask.  He was in a rage, was out of control, and could have done worse than beat them if things escalated.  All because Harry rushed to conclusions.

It may not have been a violation of the Laws, but it was a red flag that Harry wasn't in the right mental state to be training a warlock-in-rehab.  And for all L2W knows, Harry acted like that all the time. It was likely enough to warrant a review of his situation, which could mean Molly's death.

It was a very effective way to make Harry calm down and consider his behavior.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 01:00:19 PM »
I haven't read it, so I can't speak to the specifics like Griffyn can, but demonstrations of anger toward injustice is a big deal to Listens to Wind, if Ebenezer's line at the end of Turn Coat is right. LtW offered to teach Harry about dealing with that kind of anger, so adding it to Wild Card makes sense; it's another check in the "Harry is smoldering with rage most of the time and should probably get that under control" column. Not sure about the threat, though, cuz I haven't read it yet. (I'm waiting for Brief Cases, so I can do a full DF read-through, in order, and hopefully finish right around when Peace Talks comes out).

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »
Just finished Dog Men two weekends ago. I thought it was good, but I have a small problem with Harry's anger issues. As others pointed out it doesn't fit the book timeline very well. The Puck experience was bad for Harry, but he conceivably could have gotten over it by the time the next book occurs. Now they have fit in another story that shows Harry dealing with almost PTSD issues from the Puck incident. The anger he displayed is harder to write off. It is especially jarring if you jump from this right into SmF. I hope that they include another story before SmF to resolve this. I would also like full closure on the Puck situation since that is not referenced in the main series.