Author Topic: Government involvement *spoiler*  (Read 5087 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Government involvement *spoiler*
« on: March 23, 2018, 06:48:13 PM »
In the graphic novel Dog Men it was confirmed that the government does at times kill supernatural members of the community...  Not just kill but exterminate entire groups.  Listen's to Wind's words do indicate that 1.  They don't officially exist. 2.  They don't know what they are really up against.

The agents within the story do appear to be like the Men in Black in that they don't believe humanity can handle what's really out there.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:48:04 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: Government killing supernatural confirmed *spoiler*
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 03:03:58 AM »
Sounds like the X-Files to me.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 03:37:17 AM »
Dude, the thread title is literally a spoiler.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »
Dude, the thread title is literally a spoiler.

Changed it.  Well I mean it wasn't some big secret in the story, it's there pretty much early on so I didn't think it was a huge deal.  The spoiler tag was because I included information from Listen's to Wind, the fact that it's more like extermination, the book it was from, and other information.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Government involvement *spoiler*
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 07:02:08 PM »
The gist is that the MiB exist, and are run by Muggle Supremacists.

That's typical. Why can't the Government ever put non-assholes in charge of these groups?

Seriously though, I actually really liked that in the original Movie the MiB were a bunch of reasonable, relatively normal people that actually should be managing such things instead of the stereotypical fanatics that usually exist in fictional groups like that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:11:01 PM by forumghost »

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 02:08:42 AM »

That's typical. Why can't the Government ever put non-assholes in charge of these groups?

Seriously though, I actually really liked that in the original Movie the MiB were a bunch of reasonable, relatively normal people that actually should be managing such things instead of the stereotypical fanatics that usually exist in fictional groups like that.
Don't look up the original comics, then.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 04:39:43 AM »

We saw a very small glimpse of them.  Two agents leading a team.  They came on as a pain in the ass but ended up not being too bad.  I'd say they felt like a combination of Murphy, and Marcone from the earlier books.  They do appear dangerous, and possibly willing to cross the line but also that they are trying to do the right thing.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 04:15:08 PM »
Quick question: Where in the time line does Dog Men land? Harry's exposure to government agents aware of and meddling in the supernatural world has definite series impact.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 11:19:39 PM »
Quick question: Where in the time line does Dog Men land? Harry's exposure to government agents aware of and meddling in the supernatural world has definite series impact.

After Wild Card but before Changes. Probably not super far before Changes.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 02:12:42 PM »
Thanks. May put a new spin on Harry's interactions with Agent Tilly.

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 12:47:18 AM »
Personally I thought they resembled nobody as much as the Monster Control Bureau from the Monster Hunter International series, but I might just still be disappointed that there wasn't an obvious Dresden reference it Jim's Monster Hunter Files story.
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline TheJrade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 02:20:49 PM »
I might be speaking blasphemy here, but I really didn't like Dog Men.

I didn't like that suddenly Harry has a fiery temper, the story was meant to take place long before he received the Mantle of the Winter Knight but yet here he was getting furiously angry at the drop of a hat.

I also didn't like the government guys and hope they are not intended to represent the 'official' reaction to the supernatural.  While a part of me will always been amused by the thought that The Man is incompetent, I prefer that it be kept to the occasional Blues Brothers-style police car pileup.  The idea that the width and breadth of the government's task force on monsters is a handful of national guardsmen who walk through the forest shoulder-to-shoulder without even a vague approximation of the right gear for the job.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 03:29:49 PM »
I might be speaking blasphemy here, but I really didn't like Dog Men.
I didn't like that suddenly Harry has a fiery temper, the story was meant to take place long before he received the Mantle of the Winter Knight but yet here he was getting furiously angry at the drop of a hat.

Lash did kind of amp up his anger, but in the novels he was supposed to have got a handle on that once he realized he was being influenced.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 03:32:22 PM »

Do you remember the little bit of sunshine in Molly's face, or Harry slagging the trash can?
If you'll remember, Harry had been having significant anger issues since he picked up Lasciel's coin.  I don't know where 'Dog Men' falls in the timeline, but even without that issue, he's always had a bit of a temper.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »
The timeline on the site puts Wild Card between White Night and Turn Coat, which means the imprint that was amplifying his anger should be gone. 

But I got the impression that Harry was angry in DoM because of the events in WC, and that he was dealing with the fallout from Puck. That his encounter with Puck was seriously impactful to his psyche.

It doesn't fit all that well with the books, but it's not impossible.  When we see him in SmF, he's dealing with the guilt over Lash. 

From a story arc perspective, if DT was 2/08, WC was 4/08, and DoM was 6/08, then they could have another comic set in 8/08 that would let him come to terms with all those events before SmF in 11/08.  But he'd need closure on Puck, to explain his lack of fixation in SmF.