Author Topic: What If the Potterverse Operated in the Dresdenverse?  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Orion Ultor

• Participant
    • View Profile
What If the Potterverse Operated in the Dresdenverse?
« on: April 09, 2018, 05:53:27 PM »
I've been thinking about a potential HP/Dresden Files crossover, where the Potterverse follows the conventions of the Dresdenverse. Here are a few of the ideas I've got:

1. The events of the Harry Potter series would chronologically take place before Storm Front.
[1991; Sorcerer's Stone]/[~2000; Storm Front]

2. The (British) Ministry of Magic is not the government; it's the bureaucratic arm of the White Council within England. Following this logic, the Wizengamot becomes the public forum for various bloodlines and hereditary holdings of Britain to discuss their grievances towards the Council.

3. The Techbane is unique to Practitioners of the modern era (~1850-present).

4. Grindelwald was an ambitious apprentice to Kemmler; the only one who could reliably be called his lieutenant.
Following Kemmler's Defeat, Grindelwald was the one who held the opposition together.
The Deathly Hollows are artifacts that belong to a major player (maybe one of the following); Mother Winter, Hades and/or Odin.

What do you guys think? And how should I go about expanding upon this idea?

Offline Graves

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: What If the Potterverse Operated in the Dresdenverse?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »
I've htought about this. the white council would be seperate form the world of hogwarts - harry is much more powerful since he can do spells without a wand. but llied schools of thought, the issue would be the laws of magic and the magical police auroers (sp?) vs wardens. and the fact that the forbidden curses in hogwarts mind control and death do cover the laws of magic, one wonders how the school would feel if a grey cloak appeared at the gates of the great hall.
Five words only: We are kids next door!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 03:56:12 PM »
I think that would be pretty cool.

Wouldn't it be fun if Hogwarts was sitting on the ground above the Wouncil's headquarters?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline TheJrade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:51:42 PM »
It could work.  The tricky part would be deciding which set of organizations are paramount.  The White Council's Laws of Magic are incompatible with a lot of what the Hogwarts folks do, like Memory charms and such, but the Potterverse already has numerous other magical traditions built-in.  Perhaps you could explain something unique about the European magical tradition insulating its practitioners from the sinister aspects of neuromancy?

For my vote, I would have the Ministry of Magic simply be the British Government's part of maintaining the Muggle Masquerade.  I have always thought that there should be some aspect of human governments that have knowledge of the supernatural world.

Oh, and the Techbane is already canonically exactly as you say. 

Offline Graves

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 02:49:54 AM »
the major difference between hogwarts and Dresden is the wands. take away a wand from a hogwarts wizard and you've got a muggle, powerless. Dresden universe wizards don't need a wand or a staff, they help but without his gear Harry is still extraordinarily dangerous. take away his wand and even dumbledore is  sitting duck
Five words only: We are kids next door!

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:00:24 PM »
I never could understand that part about Harry Potter universe. Why do they have to use a wand? They do it unconciously, or not so unconciously untill they begin their schooling. If it is done completely unconciously, then it makes sense that Hogwarts teaches control over their magic, so that it doesn't accidentally happen. Once they learn enough control, they should be able to let it loose if they need it to.
On topic:
  • If potterverse operated in the Dresdenverse, Hogwarts will have to start Using Straight line depcreciation.
  • I'd imagine Hogwarts witches and wizards will have to learn how to aim. Maybe add some crosshairs (Why didn't they? Never could figure it out).
  • The Red Court would have long been wiped out, as the main problem in the war was transportation/communication.

هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير