Author Topic: Saw a Release Date for Peace Talks, True or Just Another Rumor?  (Read 15427 times)

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Saw a Release Date for Peace Talks, True or Just Another Rumor?
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »
I really liked the Cinder Spires, but I'm hoping for a tighter focus in the next book. Some of the characterization felt a little forced to me; the only protagonists who felt natural were Gwen, Grim, and Rowl. The others just kinda felt stilted, like...well, like characters in a book. I felt similarly during the first entry to the Codex Alera, which (in my opinion) figured out what it was during the second book.

I still liked it, and it's mandatory reading on my Annual Butcher Reread, don't get me wrong. But... anyone here ever read Dracula? You know how some of the characters kinda just say things, and you roll with it because of the format of the book, but some of them never feel like people? Like Lucy and Quincy, to me. That's kinda the same note that struck me with some of the characters.

Liked the plot, liked the world that was being built (the highlight, for me), liked the mechanics, and generally liked the characters, but I want more from the next entry.

I can see that. To be honest, Benedict felt like he was a part of the group just to introduce us to warriorborn, but I was ok with it because the premise of a half-cat half-human was interesting to me. Completely agree about the mechanics and world-building. Give me some more airship battles in the next book and I will be a happy camper.