Author Topic: Saw a Release Date for Peace Talks, True or Just Another Rumor?  (Read 15429 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Saw a Release Date for Peace Talks, True or Just Another Rumor?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 06:31:47 PM »
I was at Emerald City Comic Con this weekend.  In his panel, Mr. Butcher stated he still had another six weeks of work, before he turned the manuscript over to his editors.

If I recall, he's had a bad time in the past when he had a deadline and couldn't make it, so he swore off giving a deadline. . .Right(I seem to remember him saying he'd never take an advance again. . .)? 

All of which is to say, there is no release date.

That is still very, very encouraging. Six weeks of work left on an editable draft isn't all that bad. Considering Jim's past descriptions of the way he writes—late at night, while everyone is asleep, from around midnight-dawn—that's actually quite good. (In my experience, word count quotas force faster work than time allocation when you write full time.) And according to the calendar on Jim-Butcher.com, his next event isn't till the end of April, seven weeks from now, so maybe he'll turn in a draft before he heads out to the writing conference. Looks to me like it's shaping up for a solid late summer/early autumn release.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
God, I hope so.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »
Is Jim going to flip flop books between series again?

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 02:42:19 PM »
Is Jim going to flip flop books between series again?

He said the Olympia Affair (CS #2) is next on his writing queue in one of the previous statements, yes.

As much as we're all hella excited for Mirror Mirror, Jim has said alternating projects helps him not get sick of doing too much of one thing. Besides, more talking cats.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 02:52:26 PM »
He said the Olympia Affair (CS #2) is next on his writing queue in one of the previous statements, yes.

As much as we're all hella excited for Mirror Mirror, Jim has said alternating projects helps him not get sick of doing too much of one thing. Besides, more talking cats.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to either one of them. It took me two readings before I really got on board with the Cinder Spires, but I'm on the airship train now.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 09:50:39 PM »
Cinder Spires is very good. It's also the first series I've read which actively tries to be Steampunk, so yeah. Very good. :)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 12:04:24 AM »
If you like steampunk try the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series by Tee Morris and Pip Ballantine.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 05:24:52 AM »
That is still very, very encouraging. Six weeks of work left on an editable draft isn't all that bad.

Six weeks has a way of becoming nine weeks or longer.  Six weeks is roughly the length of time from the Con Jim did this past weekend to the next public appearance he's scheduled to make near the end of April.  Hopefully he can pull it off in that time frame, but; well, I've heard something like this before so I remain somewhat skeptical.  I'll believe it when I see an official announcement and not before. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »
If you like steampunk try the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series by Tee Morris and Pip Ballantine.

Thanks, I'll put it on the list. :)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 07:10:47 PM »
Six weeks has a way of becoming nine weeks or longer.  Six weeks is roughly the length of time from the Con Jim did this past weekend to the next public appearance he's scheduled to make near the end of April.  Hopefully he can pull it off in that time frame, but; well, I've heard something like this before so I remain somewhat skeptical.  I'll believe it when I see an official announcement and not before.

Jim's main issues have been his comfort level.  He requires a place of his own to write effectively.  His excuse was his home being finished kept being pushed back.  If his new place has in fact been finished and he's all moved in, he's probably back at work, and his six week quote is an accurate one.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
Cinder Spires is very good. It's also the first series I've read which actively tries to be Steampunk, so yeah. Very good. :)

I love TAW.

About something discussed above, all the book releases I remember have been on Tuesdays.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »
Based on his recent statement of planning on having it done next month, I estimated an end of October release. 

Again, it'll come when it comes.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »
Halloween time would be pretty fitting for Harry's triumphant return to bookstore shelves.
About something discussed above, all the book releases I remember have been on Tuesdays.
As someone who works in an adjacent profession, I can confirm that Tuesday is New Release Day. I'm not actually sure why that is, though - seems a bit random.
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »
Halloween time would be pretty fitting for Harry's triumphant return to bookstore shelves. As someone who works in an adjacent profession, I can confirm that Tuesday is New Release Day. I'm not actually sure why that is, though - seems a bit random.

I thought the same about Halloween.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
Any idea on the average turn around time for manuscript edits?