Author Topic: We see 1000ish years ago?  (Read 6935 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: We see 1000ish years ago?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 01:23:41 AM »
The Fallen really wanted to turn Ivy in Small Favor.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline kris.vickers

• Participant
  • I am not throwing away my shot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 01:39:28 AM »
We've seen Nic call in his favor from Mab in Skin Game. If I'm Nic I would love to get Ivy just to have leverage over even more people. Also, ever wonder what he did for her, seeing how we've read what Mab's repayment allowed him to achieve? Maybe she's Queen of Winter because of him? Or a severe threat to her throne was thwarted thanks to him? 1000 years ago was a completely different white council. What might they have been like? Possibly writing the last of the laws? maybe there were only a few, and the disasters they saw caused new limitations to be decreed?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 01:45:19 AM »
There is a WOJ that Mab had to be in two places at once and she had to call in Nic to be in one of those places for her.  Other WOJ's also say Mab went into much Debt when she took control over the OuterGates. I believe it was ourMab that did that.  It is these debts that she is repaying that finally got to her paying off Nic. 

I do believe Nic played a part in her becoming Queen. I have my own favored theory, that I constantly mention (TTMurphy goes into past to become Mab.)  Full circle: Nic beats Murphy up in Skin Game. Nic helps Murphy become Mab. Murphy/Mab thwarts Nic's plans in Skin Game.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:48:25 AM by raidem »

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »
I am still thinking of a situation where Mab had to be at two places, Lea wasn't available, and Nico is your backup option.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »
I am still thinking of a situation where Mab had to be at two places, Lea wasn't available, and Nico is your backup option.
Alternatively, Lea hadnt yet developed enough, either on her own or on Mab's coat tails (toot style), to be useful for what mab needed way back then.  It was in the very beginning of her Rule, and I doubt Lea started out being stronger than the Court's Lady.  The WOJ /sort/ of implies this, that Lea gaining power after this lesson was learned which solved the issue better than handing out favors to big powerful things.

2015 Grid Daily interview
At a Con you attended recently, you mentioned that the reason Mab owes favors to some unsavory characters is due to debts she accrued when the Winter Fey first assumed the duty of manning the Wall.
Regarding that favor, it was a situation where Mab needed to be in two places at once and couldn’t.  So Anduriel loaned her Nicodemus to step into one of the places she couldn’t be.  Man has since learned better than that and now she has somebody that will step in for her when she needs to be in two places at once.  Which is why the Leanansidhe has got so much power and generally shows up whenever Mab isn’t there.  If you’ll notice in the books, the Leanansidhe and Mab very rarely show up in the same place at the same time.  That’s because Leanansidhe is covering things that Mab should be doing, while Mab is wasting her time on Harry Dresden.  And vice versa.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
Alternatively, Lea hadnt yet developed enough, either on her own or on Mab's coat tails (toot style), to be useful for what mab needed way back then.  It was in the very beginning of her Rule, and I doubt Lea started out being stronger than the Court's Lady.  The WOJ /sort/ of implies this, that Lea gaining power after this lesson was learned which solved the issue better than handing out favors to big powerful things.

It's a fun chicken-and-egg question, for me, too; did Lea get all the power she has by hitching her wagon to Mab (like Toot to Harry) or did she acquire enough power that she was able to step in for Mab? I think it's a little from column A, a little from column B, but I, for one, would love to see a nearly feral Lea inspiring and draining artists in pre-Christian Europe.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 02:30:37 PM »
This needing to be in two places at once is also mentioned in Amber.  It led Merlin to speculate that brand had used time travel to do it.

The other option was something along the lines of using his shadow self, but that really didn't seem the option considered then or now.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:32:28 PM by raidem »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 02:59:44 PM »
It's a fun chicken-and-egg question, for me, too; did Lea get all the power she has by hitching her wagon to Mab (like Toot to Harry) or did she acquire enough power that she was able to step in for Mab? I think it's a little from column A, a little from column B, but I, for one, would love to see a nearly feral Lea inspiring and draining artists in pre-Christian Europe.

Based on this WOJ, ya it's a bit of Both.  Lea did a lot of independent Power gathering with her blood-muse stuff, but basically /had/ to get something from the Toot/Coat-tails mechanic. 

2012 Beaver Creek signing

The Leansidhe nature seems to conflict with that of Winter - and she seems to be much more Summer-y, since she wears lots of reds and greens and so on.
They're not elementals.  They're not divided along the lines of - specifically - of the classical elements.  They're more about the elemental portions of the soul, which - okay, that's getting really technical and highfaluting.  But the point is, Lea drains people's blood and drinks it, and that was how she made her bones in the fairy world.  She's an actual legendary figure, where bards and poets and painters and so on would come to her and seek her inspiration.  And she was kind of this vampire-muse - that was the original Leansidhe - that's her original story. And in the DF universe that was how she made her bones, that's how she impressed big Mab.   It was like - oh wow - you took these guys who were out there just seeking to create something beautiful and yet increased your dark and evil power - Well done!
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 06:20:54 PM »
We have further evidence now that the ladies, Queens are to be considered "fraternal twins' which is one of the ways I've taken Jim's woj to mean regarding Mab and Titania.

For just a fraction of a second, Maeve’s smug exterior changed, becoming graver, more somber. In that instant, she and Lily looked as though they might have been fraternal twins. “With absolute certainty.”
(included in another thread)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:33:08 PM by raidem »

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 07:43:55 PM »
Just a bit of trivia for the Battle of Hastings ... It took place approximately 7 miles northwest of Hastings, close to the present-day town of Battle, East Sussex.  Not really adding to the thread, but I found it interesting.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 11:57:45 PM »
They named the town Battle after the battle? Seems like a lack of imagination.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 12:07:13 AM »
lol.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 02:37:33 AM »
They named the town Battle after the battle? Seems like a lack of imagination.

I really don't know ... LOL
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 03:08:26 AM »
I think it is inspired. It is them saying the Battle occurred right here folks, not over there in Hastings.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 04:02:15 AM »
But you have to admit that "The Battle of Hastings" sounds better than "The battle of this field that will be one day the City of Battle".

Right?