Author Topic: The one character that you wish hadn't died  (Read 17207 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
The one character that you wish hadn't died
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »
 If you could choose one person who died with the series to not be among the dead; who would it be?  At the moment, I would chose Carmichael; he was only in the first two books. I know we got Rawlins later; but, I think Carmichael was underused.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: The one character that you wish hadn't died
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 06:20:23 PM »
I like Carmichael, but I think Kim Delaney would have been a good, stabilizing effect on Harry, as his apprentice.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
Bianca, who I think was a bit one-dimensional as a villain and could have been cooler as a persistent threat as Jim grew as a writer.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:07:17 PM »
While she seem interesting as far as being a power threat; Harry out-grew her.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:18:15 PM »

Morgan.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 11:43:31 PM »
Carmichael dying was what sold me on the series, fwiw.  My willingness to engage with a long series in which people have dangerous adventures is largely based on being able to believe in the danger, at levels of there being permanent, no take-back, consequences.  I was unsure about whether JB was not pulling his punches too much around the time of PG and WN, am somewhat more convinced since, though not entirely; nothing bores me more than plot armour.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 11:44:31 PM »
Morgan.

I thought his death was pretty close to perfect - the only thing really wrong with it is him changing his position on Harry just as he dies.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:18:23 AM »
I thought his death was pretty close to perfect - the only thing really wrong with it is him changing his position on Harry just as he dies.
How so, please?
Make Mine Butcher!

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 01:35:53 AM »
How so, please?

People who have been asserting something as firmly as we have seen Morgan assert Harry isn't innocent recanting on their deathbed to a more sympathetic position is neither convincingly realistic nor a trope I am fond of; and this holds whether Morgan genuinely believes Harry is guilty or not.  Either way it didn't ring true to me.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 03:32:35 AM »
Cat Sith. :sadmeowface: He would have been a great influence on Dresden and broken up the saccharine vibe.

Deirdre’s death was good. I just wish she had more attention in the books prior.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 03:35:46 AM »
People who have been asserting something as firmly as we have seen Morgan assert Harry isn't innocent recanting on their deathbed to a more sympathetic position is neither convincingly realistic nor a trope I am fond of; and this holds whether Morgan genuinely believes Harry is guilty or not.  Either way it didn't ring true to me.

Morgan had accepted that Harry wasn't guilty as far back as Dead Beat, and said so.  It wasn't a last-minute change.

Morgan still distrusted Harry after that, but it was Harry's recklessness and impulsiveness that bothered Morgan, not that he thought Harry was a traitor or a warlock.  What changed for Morgan in Dead Beat (sorry, that should have been Turn Coat ) was that over the course of that last adventure, he came to genuinely like and respect Harry, as he saw the other side of him (and of course Harry has grown up a lot since their earlier interactions, too).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:50:12 AM by LordDresden2 »

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 03:38:20 AM »
Carmichael dying was what sold me on the series, fwiw. 

I tend to agree with this.  It wasn't the only reason, but it was a good one.  It was an instance where bad decisions (in this case mostly Karrin's) led to bad results, and the bad results fell on a relatively innocent victim.  Not nice, but like real life all too often is.

The death I sort of regret in story terms is Maeve.  I liked her as a character, if not as a person, and I would have liked to see more of her (no pun intended, the obligatory joke about what was left of her to see can be assumed to have been made).

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 03:53:51 AM »
If you could choose one person who died with the series to not be among the dead; who would it be? 
I'd normally say Susan, but since I'm hoping to see her and some others in Mirror Mirror, I'll go with someone dead and gone...

Simon Petrovich.

Cat Sith. :sadmeowface: He would have been a great influence on Dresden and broken up the saccharine vibe.
Lulz that you think Sith is dead.

Personally, I'm hoping for Cat Sith Who Prowls Behind to make a future appearance.

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 04:03:04 AM »

Personally, I'm hoping for Cat Sith Who Prowls Behind to make a future appearance.
Whether his flesh is still animated or not, the rascal himself is gone. N did a personalityectomy on him in the book.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »
I'd normally say Susan, but since I'm hoping to see her and some others in Mirror Mirror, I'll go with someone dead and gone...

Simon Petrovich.

lol ;D
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.