Author Topic: Other Future Dresden works rumor thread  (Read 15766 times)

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Other Future Dresden works rumor thread
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2017, 04:11:06 AM »
The difference is that we have it in so many words that Bob was specifically built not just as a spirit of intellect but as an attempt at duplicating the Archive.  Which leads me to believe that the chances of Bonnie being more like the Archive in the relevant ways (whatever they are) than Bob are low.

If we're talking about the same reference, that's not what Luccio was saying.  She was saying the Bob was like a baby version of the Archive, a vast library of information and technical knowledge, not that Kemmler created him as such nor that he was created by Kemmler at all.  She was making an analogy.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:17:34 AM by LordDresden2 »

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2017, 04:13:25 AM »
As far as short stories go, I would like to read the Hawaii story

At one time, I would have agreed.

Now, though, that has gone on long enough to become a 'noodle incident'.  Nothing JB could write would ever satisfy the fan expectations, I suspect.  Probably best to leave it vague.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2017, 04:15:07 AM »
I'd very much rather Hawaii was left a Noodle Incident, myself.

Also, I strongly suspect that a) Ivy getting kidnapped in SmF is a direct consequence of her developing a humanised personality (no point in the Denarians doing that before then because you can't torture information out of a filing cabinet) which appears to come about when and because Harry Names her (which creeps Kincaid out, a reaction I take very seriously) and b) that she is very likely to blame him for this, so Kincaid explaining to her about killing Harry may well get yelled at for not doing it well enough.

She would have had a human personality no matter what.  That's part of the tragedy of her story.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »
Are you guys this into other authors? There are some people here who seem to spend a huge amount of time thinking about this series. I think there are even people who write fan fiction for the series? And, one person who writes stories with this series as a template?

Is it just Butcher that you’re so into, or are there other authors on whose works you spend a lot of time?

What’s the appeal of this series that induces the deep interest?
Jim's world creation. His ability to meld such an awesome story together and layer the way the world interacts within it's own design and discovering these little things for yourself.(also Wizards/Merlin is my favorite thing)
I've read a few Authors but i'm not reading any current series but this one.(as in more to come) Not all of them had the depth to make such theory and Waggery but saaayy, the other Harry series and now the Fantastic beasts movies(as Rowling is doing the actual story work and set up, it contains a veiled plot i'm following) do.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2017, 10:00:56 AM »
It is about character interactions and the humor that comes with it.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
I like that Jim knows the rules of his universes (Codex Alera included; I'm assuming the Cinder Spires as well, but we don't know enough yet to point them out), and sticks to them. When you ask a question about how something works, he knows the answer without having to think about it. One of the things that I didn't like about Harry Potter and other fantasy works is that magic often runs on whimsy, to the point that "a wizard did it" has become a meme. And it's not Dragonlance Vancian magic, either, with spells that are written down and studied in advance; it's based on principle of energy, and the way a wizard taps into, interprets, and employs that energy is unique to each practitioner, but the rules that govern such actions remain consistent.

I also love the characters—pretty much all of them, with few exceptions (I'm not a fan of Lash, for instance, which puts me in the distinct minority, and some of the minor characters (Andi, for example) are a little one-note. Also, Georgia needs to do more without getting kidnapped). I have a soft spot for Michael especially, and find every book in which he appears to be better for his presence. Skin Game made me actively shout in delight when Uriel showed up. I love watching Harry interact with most everyone, especially back-sass.

For me, the plots of each individual book are mostly excuses for Harry to do clever things while talking to people. The plot of the series is getting better as more is revealed, and the scope of the overarching conflict is growing grander as the stakes are raised. And the details we're starting to get make rereads of the series more interesting; Cold Days especially changed my perspective on pretty much everything that came before it.

For a series with the basic premise of "Die Hard meets D&D," I certainly didn't expect the narrative, character, and universe depth that I got. Plus the series got my dad to start reading again, so that makes me happy.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »
Good to hear about your dad. I had to look up Vancian. Came across this article.
https://theevilgm.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/a-brief-history-of-vancian-magic/
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2017, 05:25:46 PM »
That is a great summary of why the Dresden series is awesome Kindler. I agree with all of it. I love the fact that two different wizards could both use a fire spell and get very different results due to the way they tap into their power and form the spell. I love that this series has crossed over into so many different genres (horror, political, detective, heist, etc) while still remaining true to the characters and the overall themes of the series.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »
Good to hear about your dad. I had to look up Vancian. Came across this article.
https://theevilgm.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/a-brief-history-of-vancian-magic/

Fun read, which points out some of my issues with it for tabletop. (Though, as an avid wargamer, I will point out that Romans v. Gauls was always more popular than Napoleonics, and Waterloo's popularity as a tabletop scenario was due to A) it being easy to set up (neat rows six to ten stands across), B) Napoleonic games basically consisting entirely of shooting and movement rules only, because Napoleonic combat was essentially "move up and shoot," C) the figures are easy to paint, and D) everyone knows what Waterloo is. WRG/DBx games 4 lyfe.)

And yeah, he just kind of stopped reading for like a decade until I told him that this one has a wizard who rides a dinosaur.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2017, 06:11:01 PM »
Fun read, which points out some of my issues with it for tabletop. (Though, as an avid wargamer, I will point out that Romans v. Gauls was always more popular than Napoleonics, and Waterloo's popularity as a tabletop scenario was due to A) it being easy to set up (neat rows six to ten stands across), B) Napoleonic games basically consisting entirely of shooting and movement rules only, because Napoleonic combat was essentially "move up and shoot," C) the figures are easy to paint, and D) everyone knows what Waterloo is. WRG/DBx games 4 lyfe.)

And yeah, he just kind of stopped reading for like a decade until I told him that this one has a wizard who rides a dinosaur.
If that doesn't get a person's attention; not much will.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2017, 06:16:46 PM »
Alternatively, they could create brand new stories for Dresden and set it in an "alternate universe" to the main stories (my preferred method).

That's what they tried. It didn't go so well. (Not to say it couldn't be done again, but nobody knows these characters like Jim, and everything should be done with his involvement and approval, like the comics are. I don't want to see them try it, cuz they'll screw it up.)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2017, 02:11:13 AM »
She would have had a human personality no matter what.  That's part of the tragedy of her story.

I do not believe this; there is no evidence at all for one being there before Harry Names her.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2017, 05:47:06 AM »
Well, to be fair; Harry does name her pretty fast after she is introduced. That kinda is a habit with him.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
Well, to be fair; Harry does name her pretty fast after she is introduced. That kinda is a habit with him.

True.

But we have never seen anything else strike Kincaid as creepy, so I incline to read that as significant.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »
True.
What makes you think they were going to pump her for information? Honestly I've always been more confused about the Denarians interests here vs Nemesis's goals with the Archive(of which, I see at least 2 reasonings)
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.