Author Topic: Other Future Dresden works rumor thread  (Read 15770 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Other Future Dresden works rumor thread
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »
Bonnie also meets that criteria.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »
Bonnie also meets that criteria.

How is Bonnie like the Archive ?  It is specified that Kemmler made Bob specifically as an attempt to duplicate the Archive, at the end of SmF iirc.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »
I do not think that Bonnie would count because she was not created with the intention of duplicating the Archive. She is like the archive in the sense that she has a tremendous amount of knowledge being the offspring of a wizard and denarian copy. However, she was created naturally (through an act of love) instead of artificially as Bob is assumed to be (indicated by SmF like neuro said above).

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2017, 11:48:31 PM »
He just needs to know Harry will treat someone who looks like a kid as a kid, I think.  To my mind Ivy having been Archive from birth is already in a unique situation, and I can quite by the vulnerabilities that come with that situation being part of Nicodemus' plan.
We can assume Nicodemus spends quite some time monitoring people and if he is planning something with Harry and Ivy he will monitor them both.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »
How is Bonnie like the Archive ?  It is specified that Kemmler made Bob specifically as an attempt to duplicate the Archive, at the end of SmF iirc.
Is it known for certain that the process that created Bob was not in any ways similar to the process that created Bonnie? Natural impregnation and in vitro fertilization both produce babies.They are both spirits of intellect and the Archive seems to be the transferable fusion of a spirit of intellect mantle onto a mortal host with a certain genetic similarity to its first host.
Make Mine Butcher!

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2017, 05:05:18 AM »
Is it known for certain that the process that created Bob was not in any ways similar to the process that created Bonnie? Natural impregnation and in vitro fertilization both produce babies.They are both spirits of intellect and the Archive seems to be the transferable fusion of a spirit of intellect mantle onto a mortal host with a certain genetic similarity to its first host.

The difference is that we have it in so many words that Bob was specifically built not just as a spirit of intellect but as an attempt at duplicating the Archive.  Which leads me to believe that the chances of Bonnie being more like the Archive in the relevant ways (whatever they are) than Bob are low.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
On a related topic, does anyone else think that Lydia, and by extension, everyone with the Cassandra's Tears affliction, may have been other children of the Archive, the ones who don't inherit it? Like, the second-born daughters. The connection of the Archive to the Pythia and prophets is pointed out a bit too much for me to not think they're related in some way.

Anyway, maybe the next person with Cassandra's Tears would be the one to absorb the power of the Archive—if indeed it's transferable upon death.

Also, Bob was created by Etienne the Enchanter, per Fool Moon. Kemmler didn't make him, he just owned him.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »
On a related topic, does anyone else think that Lydia, and by extension, everyone with the Cassandra's Tears affliction, may have been other children of the Archive, the ones who don't inherit it? Like, the second-born daughters. The connection of the Archive to the Pythia and prophets is pointed out a bit too much for me to not think they're related in some way.

Anyway, maybe the next person with Cassandra's Tears would be the one to absorb the power of the Archive—if indeed it's transferable upon death.

Also, Bob was created by Etienne the Enchanter, per Fool Moon. Kemmler didn't make him, he just owned him.
Did Harry ever get his ghost protection bracelet back from Lydia? Guessing not. Doees anyone think Faith will have Cassandra Tears?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2017, 03:55:11 PM »
Did Harry ever get his ghost protection bracelet back from Lydia? Guessing not. Doees anyone think Faith will have Cassandra Tears?

I don't think Faith does.

I'm also pretty positive that we'll see Lydia again. I foresee the BAT to include a ton of fanservice, with pretty much every living character showing up to take a bow at one point or another. Like the Battle of Hogwarts tried to do.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »
With so many characters, that would make each BAT book 800 to 1,000 pages. Wishing, Hoping, Praying.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »
I want huge books. I want to see characters that I have forgotten about reappear. I want someone (probably not Harry) to ride off into the sunset.

Edit: I will of course be happy with whatever Mr. Butcher chooses to give us.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:32:52 PM by Talby16 »

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »
By the end of the casebooks, little Maggie will probably be a teen. Anyone think she will be crushin on Carlos?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »
With so many characters, that would make each BAT book 800 to 1,000 pages. Wishing, Hoping, Praying.

He did say that they'd each be double-sized, so, yeah... that'd be about right. (Though I think he was preempting the "Jim has obviously lost interest in the series and won't be writing any more" complaints, five-eight books in advance).

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2017, 08:09:37 PM »
He did say that they'd each be double-sized, so, yeah... that'd be about right. (Though I think he was preempting the "Jim has obviously lost interest in the series and won't be writing any more" complaints, five-eight books in advance).

ooh, neat, I'd not seen that one.  Thank you.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2017, 10:21:40 AM »
Maybe after the BAT, Butcher could work on a Dreseen Files encyclopedia.
Make Mine Butcher!