Author Topic: Mab/Murphy Ironies  (Read 36786 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mab/Murphy Ironies
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
Escape could be one option. My preferred option is that the dreams of mortals drew these outsiders to us like a beacon of curiousity.

I missed this earlier. Harry's conversation with He Who Walks Behind seems to indicate that Outsiders used to own this universe, if not this reality:

"This isn't your world," I whispered.
"Not now," He Who Walks Behind murmured, its smile widening. "But it will be ours again in just a little time."
-Ghost Story, page 300 on Nook. Emphasis added.

If he is to be believed, "again" means "once more," ergo Outsiders used to be here in greater numbers and were the top dogs, before something banished them. Now they're trying to get back in and back on top.

So... did they run things when mortals were here? Were they banished by mortal magic, and is that why only mortal magic can summon them? Did TWG send them packing? Are we talking about primordial soup time, or just pre-Kadesh Hittite Empire times? Do they predate the planet? Or is this a situation where the Outside and the Inside used to be one big place, and the Big Powers That Be created the multiverse with Gates to keep them out as a separate space from them?

From their description, I have zero trouble believing that they're the same set of Outsiders that were previously kicked out of reality; time is just a flat circle from the Outside, to borrow a quote from True Detective's good season, so it's not like they'd necessarily experience it linearly.

Anyway, the Outsiders' nature is very, very interesting to me. Personally, I'm waiting for Harry to call the next one Ponyboy or Sodapop.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2017, 09:06:44 PM »
Justine?
Didn't she yea when she threatened him in GP to save Thomas?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2017, 10:11:30 PM »
I forgot that one.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2018, 09:48:13 PM »
This is a thread on Queen Succession Rules.  It touches on a case in which all three Queen mantles are up for grabs simultaneously. (For the past, the focus is on Summer as Mother Summer abdicated at one point which may coincide when or around the time both Mab and Titania die).  It also delves into the rules regarding when exactly the Lady mantle is destroyed by the Lady.  It coincided per Mab with the Lady "becoming a mother".  This in my view is defined as having given birth. Therefore I believe it is theoretically possible for the Lady to conceive but just not give birth and the Lady mantle remains safe. 

http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,50745.0.html

The following thread is an approach where I ask people to disprove particular theories using in book text. WOJ may be used to support arguments too but should be used warily as Jim can be crafty, imprecise, mistaken or we the same etc when citing them.  The main theory to disprove that I put forward is the Murphy=Mab theory.  The other theory put forward so far is the Simon=Cowl theory.

http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,50739.0.html

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:44:49 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »
For just a fraction of a second, Maeve’s smug exterior changed, becoming graver, more somber. In that instant, she and Lily looked as though they might have been fraternal twins. “With absolute certainty.”

I'm thinking the Queen mantles are to be considered 'twins' which may allow Jim's WOJ about Mab and Titania being 'actual twin sisters' being less restrictive than thought as it comes to the possibility that Murphy may TT into the past to become a Winter Lady, and then assume the Mab mantle.  Or, same argument could be used for Molly.

(included in another thread)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 06:33:30 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2018, 10:43:37 PM »
This is a post on Reddit, not my own theory.  I ran across it and found it very interesting. It basically says that Harry has fulfilled one of the conditions of becoming Mab by giving birth to Bonnie.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dresdenfiles/comments/8ss4rl/dresden_and_mabs_future_series_and_cold_case/
"You? The new Summer Lady?"
Lilly flushed prettily and nodded.
"I know. I didn't want it, but when Aurora died, the power flowed to the nearest Summer vessel. Usually it would be one of the other Queens, but I had the Knight's power, and it just sort of...plopped in there."

Sooo....we know from Cold Case that at least the Winter Lady's mantle stops from getting pregnant, because she has to remain a Maiden to be the Lady. If she became a mother, she would be the Queen. We also know that the Queens' mantles can transfer to someone holding the Knight's mantle if another Queen isn't around to grab it. We ALSO know that Mab was mortal once ("I was mortal once."), so the Queen's mantle can transfer to a mortal.

I think it's safe to say that Mab is probably going to die during the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy. She's been both built up as a terrifying force and humanized, so narratively this would go a great deal towards showing the scope of the threat and creating drama.

If the Winter Queen must be a mother, and holding the Knight's mantle is enough to qualify you as a vessel, then let's consider for a moment that Harry Dresden is the Winter Knight, he has been raised and trained by Fey for most of his life, and he just gave birth. Yes, Bonnie is a spirit entity, but in the Nevernever that probably counts for more than birthing a real child. Also, being a Starborn and a powerful wizard in his own right could be the edge that the Winter Queen needs to finally tip the scales and push the invasion back.

So that's one of my predictions for the BAT. Queen Harry standing alongside the Knights of the Cross (Butters, Sanya, and Marcone) and Demonreach's denizens against the Outsiders.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2018, 10:46:52 PM »
My responses and additions supporting a potential
Harry: Queen of the Faeries.
This is my reply to the Reddit poster:

(click to show/hide)

And supporting text of a jilted Queen Harry pretending to be gay in White Knight.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Titania's interest in getting Harry's thoughts about gay guys.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:56:32 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2018, 10:54:36 PM »
“I have no use for weakness, wizard.” She shivered in a kind of slow, alien ecstasy. “Rest. Heal. Sleep. I shall most likely kill you on the morrow.” “You? A Princess Bride quote?” I croaked. “What is that?” she asked. Then she was gone. Just gone.

Mab/Murphy is to Dread Pirates Roberts as Harry is to Princess Buttercup.

One could argue that Mab/Murphy is training Harry similar to how Dread Pirates Roberts trained Westley to take over for him.  The reference to Princess Bride could further be a hint that a masked individual Mab/Murphy is in love with Harry; yet, Harry can't see his true love due to Mab's mask.

Mab with that quote is conveying multiple hints to Harry.  Yet, Harry doesn't get it.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2018, 11:28:23 PM »
Serack, can I get this moved over into the Reference Collection.  It has many of my thoughts, etc on Mab/Murphy should that ever happen.  It also has some reasonings that apply well should Mab/Molly be the case for Ms. Duck.

This is related to the WOJ's listed below: What I find interesting is the "Murphy, it's you!" thought that Jim has where he borrowed Murphy's character from Robocop where another character is behind a mask.  It leads me to further believe there will be a "Murphy, it's you!" moment where Harry finds out Murphy is some character behind a mask that got that way due to a Time Travel related plot.

WOJ's from a transcript:
When Lacuna and Toot-Toot were hanging around, do you make them a mirror of Harry and Murphy on purpose?
I didn't do it consciously, but there might have been some English Major stuff happening when I wasn't looking.

The last time Harry had a date, you put a bullet in him. Is he ever going to get out on a Saturday night?
No! Because he doesn't want a bullet in him. At this point he kind of just looks out at the world and go: "Yeah, no. That's not going to happen."

Is officer Murphy named after the officer in the Richard Scarry books?
No. Murphy was named after Murphy from Robocop. The short, cute, looks like your favorite aunt, blond girl who is like "Murphy, it's you!". I'm not sophisticated guys, when I see a character I want -- gimmie that.

Is the hit that Harry took out on himself still in effect because he survived it?
You'll have to talk to Kincaid about that. Depends what his professional ethics are like, I don't know. I'll say this, you don't know the backstory of what happened during that. I'll have to write it in as a vignette somewhere. Or I'll just write it and put in online, you guys can just read it then.

In Proven Guilty, the first time Harry encounters "Daddy Scarecrow", his arm is chopped off by Thomas' saber and hit by a van, etc. Why is he not hurt by iron?
Part of that is because of the nature of how phobo-phages work, they are not actually there. They are projecting energy into a body. When he was in Faerie, that was a different story. When they are coming over to Earth, nobody wants to drive their own car in the demolition derby. You get a junker car. That's what he's doing.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:04:06 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2018, 11:47:54 PM »
Murphy was in clear view of anyone when the Lady mantles were transferred, Maeve did not think she was a suitable candidate either. (otherwise she would have killed her).

One thing that stood out to me is that Maeve really never pays much attention to Murphy who is covered in dirt.  Jim mentions Maeve having to uncover them before she identifies the person and once she gets to Sarissa she stops there.  What is funny is that she mentions that Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, would never resort to dirtying herself to bypass the Demonreach's ward all the while with Murphy dirtied up standing right there.  In my recollection of the events on Demonreach, Maeve doesn't pay Murphy much attention except that she was grabbed to be used as bait and the generic ice handcuffs that I believe was placed on everyone.

After reviewing the excerpt of Skin Game, it appears that Maeve at least knows the dirtied up figure with "blue eyes reddened," apparently because of the mud, is at least "feisty" something we know has been associated with Murphy many times throughout the books.  I don't know for a fact that Maeve knew Murphy was in fact there, but I think it would be fairly safe to assume so but still.

To be fair to Ms. Duck's theory, Molly also stands there unseen dirtied up too.