Author Topic: Deadline end of year  (Read 11015 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Deadline end of year
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 08:32:09 PM »
I'd like to keep threads for all Butcher works at the same site. 

My main need is a forum with some access to Reference collection and real time chat.
DolphinPro or Oxwall.  Each has functionality for both.  They'd be in the future forum, assuming we migrate this one first.

If I don't hear back from Iago by the end of the month, then I'll assume he doesn't want us to migrate, and we'll start developing a DP/O forum and archive in November, beta it, manually transfer the collection, and plan on launching by the end of the year.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »
What would be the best way to work funding?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »
Another thing to note, at least to me, is the silence from many of the moderators.  Some have spoken up, but others have not.  It makes me wonder if it's more than just Iago who's tired.
Been that way awhile, I figured they'd bring in new blood but the moderating seems to have just gotten more centralized instead, with only the main mods stepping in, even if others had been around. Think it was a 'unison' policy.
Also about Forum conduct.  Would people like the more strict guidelines for this forum, or would they like things to be loosened up a bit?
I'd appreciate a step up on not letting people just bash the shit out of someone else's theory because they don't like it themselves....
Also... drive by troll posts from relatively inactive users. it's really not appreciated and happens quite a bit... better regulations/people actually caring to check for duplicate IP addresses and such.
OHHH and no covering things up, sweeping it under the rug, deleting all the evidence and hushing it up, ect, ect. Hiding evidence is indicative of a guilty conscience, not one justified in it's actions or even self righteously believing them so and letting people actually voice things with their bretheren, the peoples of the boards instead of trying to squish it under dictatorialship, ect. If it's to be our community, let it be ours for once....
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 09:56:35 PM »
What would be the best way to work funding?
I don't know.  Shard never got back to me, but they use a PayPal add-on on their site for donations.  With it only being ~$100/year, we should be able to raise it pretty quickly. 

I'm tempted to wait until next summer to have a fundraiser around the time the new books come out.  We could then let the money sit in the PayPal account until the site fees need to be renewed each year.

If 300 regular and new users donated a dollar around that time, we'd have three years of funding, minus a reimbursement for the initial year. If we didn't raise much, then we might have to go the Patreon route, with folks donating yearly.

But I'd rather ride the wave of book release interest to hit more people up for smaller amounts. $1 for a year or more of site hosting seems fair.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 11:00:29 PM »
I don't know.  Shard never got back to me, but they use a PayPal add-on on their site for donations.  With it only being ~$100/year, we should be able to raise it pretty quickly. 

I'm tempted to wait until next summer to have a fundraiser around the time the new books come out.  We could then let the money sit in the PayPal account until the site fees need to be renewed each year.

If 300 regular and new users donated a dollar around that time, we'd have three years of funding, minus a reimbursement for the initial year. If we didn't raise much, then we might have to go the Patreon route, with folks donating yearly.

But I'd rather ride the wave of book release interest to hit more people up for smaller amounts. $1 for a year or more of site hosting seems fair.
  I guess I am a little more inclined towards Patreon because, like Darby Crane, "I don't trust those people at Paypal." But, whatever works easiest and best.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »
  I guess I am a little more inclined towards Patreon because, like Darby Crane, "I don't trust those people at Paypal." But, whatever works easiest and best.
I don't know much about Patreon.  Do you know if it allows for payments from an account, or is it just a donation thing? 

The appeal for PayPal is that we can set it up with the funds paid directly to it, and the yearly bill can be deducted.  If someone else were to take over "ownership", the funds could be transferred to another account. 

If Patreon can do something similar, then it's certainly an option.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 12:11:03 AM »
   The only thing that I know about Patreon is that youtube group Screen Team uses it to fund their parody videos. My wife uses Paypal for some ebay shopping; so, I can get her to help me.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 02:12:28 AM »
Also about Forum conduct.  Would people like the more strict guidelines for this forum, or would they like things to be loosened up a bit?
Definitely more loosened up. This place is a bit upright in the typical american way (hard lines of out of bounds things that a normal adult should be more than capable of talking about).

Also, you guys with no tech background keep talking about spending money and setting up sites. Perhaps wait a bit more for a group decision based on researched choices. There are sites where, if you get served ads, will be free and will be professionally maintained (security updates, maintenance, t.ex) if no one with technical skills wants to be responsible and, even if they do, it may still be the best choice.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:25:36 AM by Ananda »

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 02:31:44 AM »
... and real time chat.
Haha... I joined the discord thingie and saw you’ve been enjoying it. :) I, on the other hand, just skim the comments. Maybe I’ll say hi.

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 07:32:46 AM »
Raidem said:

I think a general unofficial moderator status for people who migrate over from here to there should be warranted.  I say unofficial in that they can be aware of what is going on and alert others, moderators, admins, of trouble areas.

I'm only a lurker/rare poster here, but I'm a regular on a couple of Discourse boards. They have user trust levels, where once a certain level of participation is achieved, users can flag problematic posts and they get hidden until a moderator weighs in on them. It might be worth looking at.

Moderators can also manually adjust trust levels, so the frequent posters here could start at higher levels from the start.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:38:47 AM by CrusherJen »
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »
Definitely more loosened up. This place is a bit upright in the typical american way (hard lines of out of bounds things that a normal adult should be more than capable of talking about).

Also, you guys with no tech background keep talking about spending money and setting up sites. Perhaps wait a bit more for a group decision based on researched choices. There are sites where, if you get served ads, will be free and will be professionally maintained (security updates, maintenance, t.ex) if no one with technical skills wants to be responsible and, even if they do, it may still be the best choice.
There is a poll for everyone to voice an opinion. But, the decisions made by a group are usually slower than the decisions made by one.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »

I'll kick in a hundred bucks to pay for the first year if it's a regular forum like this one. Mostly because I hate Reddit's layout; following a thread is too confusing to me, with hidden comments. And Karma is a stupid system that drives a hivemind mentality.

This place is too cool, and I want to help how I can. I can't do computer things because I'm an old man, but I don't want anyone to have to reach into their pocket if they don't have to. Money's easy; work is hard. When a funding PayPal or whatever is set up, message me, and I'll send the funds.

As far as features, I don't really care about anything beyond being able to post what I want in a linear format.

A function to sort the various Words of Jim would be outstanding; right now, the best we have is a bunch of threads (thoughtfully provided by those with a whole lot of patience), and it's a bit dicey to find things when you're looking for them. A function for users to add a new Word of Jim, with moderator approval (and source provided) would be cool, too. There were a bunch from people who ran into him at signings and such that I don't recall seeing in the overall Word of Jim section (but I could also just not have found them). Maybe a tagging function would work well for that—adding "Red Court," "Mantle," and "Fire" tags to a specific post would make finding things easier.

Perhaps some method by which Words of Jim could be inserted into a post in an automated way would be helpful. Click a thing, have access to tags, sort, find the relevant WoJ, and click to add it at your cursor. That way, there are no copy+pasting errors, and everything would be in the original format. I have absolutely no idea if that's even possible.

A function to tag threads as Theory (though I'd prefer hypothesis because I'm a grammar fascist) would be helpful.

In terms of forum conduct, I'll just say that I'd like it if the rules were basically "Don't be a d*ck to anyone." Many get defensive during disagreements that are otherwise polite, and conversation often degenerates to name-calling and hurt feelings because unaligned perspectives and interpretations. Maybe a function by which temporary bans can be automatically issued by the community if a certain number of different accounts flag a post (say, ten or twenty or more, a threshold that shouldn't be easy to cross, but one that exists to ease pressure on moderators). It'd make spam easier to contravene.

I think Raidem's idea of applying a certain level of moderator control to thread creators might be a good idea, but that there should be some method to control who can create threads. Maybe a post count requirement before someone has thread-creation privileges, which can be revoked if someone makes constant bullying threads or nonsense ones.

On Patreon: I don't know how payments are sent, but I do know that PayPal requires a modest 3%(ish) per transaction. I don't know what Patreon charges. But they do provide functions for donation rewards that can be set up to automatically go out, and have clear funding goal meters and thresholds. For example, if you need $100 per year, you can have that shown directly on the Patreon page, with progress toward it highly visible. For a community thing, transparency might be a good thing. Donation buttons don't show you how much has already been raised. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 06:34:19 PM »

Sites that run free ads often have viruses because the ads themselves become security threats. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:54:52 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 06:42:44 PM »
Agreed. Better to pay a little for membership than deal with that.
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »

I like the idea of riding the wave of interest a new book will bring. That interest would also serve to attract both new users and those who have become dormant over time. Hopefully leading to more money raised and more membership transfer to the new site.

I would rather chip in some money (with enough people shouldn't be more than the price of a coffee) and be ad free and have a better user experience. I agree with groinkick that with ads the risk of spam and viruses increase exponentially. Plus ads might turn new users away.