Author Topic: The curse on MacFinn  (Read 12456 times)

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The curse on MacFinn
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 08:35:57 AM »
That could be because, as a demon, he can't make clear statements about anything TWG does; and based on what Bob said about how much power it takes to cast the Loup-garou curse on one person, let alone an entire bloodline, it was almost certainly TWG who had cursed the MacFinns.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 03:53:50 PM »
"Bastard" is closer to "illegitimate" in that regard, and Tera and Harvey were engaged, so I doubt that Fitz's name is a reference to Harvey's untimely death.

We're not done with Tera West yet. Listens-to-Wind knows her; he sends Harry her regards in Summer Knight, if memory serves, so there's another connection there. I really want a story where Tera calls the Alphas and Listens-to-Wind to protect her son. I need more Alphas.

I do think she was pregnant at the end. I don't think Jim would've added that bit about his bloodline never ending and having him be in a committed relationship for no reason. I don't think we've seen that child yet, but we might in the Young Adult series.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
That could be because, as a demon, he can't make clear statements about anything TWG does; and based on what Bob said about how much power it takes to cast the Loup-garou curse on one person, let alone an entire bloodline, it was almost certainly TWG who had cursed the MacFinns.

That's pretty much of an extreme reach.  There's no reason Chaunzogorroth can't speak clearly on such matters, if he wants to.  Likewise, it doesn't take a particularly huge amount of power to create such a curse, just a lot of skill.  Harry thought it was likely he could break the curse with his own death curse, so we're not talking about cosmic levels of power.

The way to bet is the Chaunzogorroth lied with a technical truth, 'it is said'.  It's what fits Occam's Razor.

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
Likewise, it doesn't take a particularly huge amount of power to create such a curse, just a lot of skill.

Incorrect. According to Bob...

Someone has cursed them to become a wolflike demon, and usually at the full moon. That someone's got to be really powerful, too, like a major heavy-weight sorcerer or a demon lord or one of the Faerie Queens.

Why would a curse inflicted by a major heavy-weight sorcerer, demon lord, or Faerie Queen rather than by TWG be attributed to St. Patrick? Or was St. Patrick himself a major heavy-weight sorcerer?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:07:56 PM by Paviel »

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
Patrick couldn't have been all bad; I agree with his policy on snakes.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 06:10:22 PM »
I wonder if a loup garu was used to help drive snakes from Ireland. Or snake like super naturals.
k moinuddin

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 05:21:27 PM »
The way to bet is the Chaunzogorroth lied with a technical truth, 'it is said'.  It's what fits Occam's Razor.

I bet Thorned Namshiel could have cast such a curse, and then the Denarians made a point of saying it was done by a saint.

Hell propaganda, 101.

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 09:03:06 PM »
I bet Thorned Namshiel could have cast such a curse, and then the Denarians made a point of saying it was done by a saint.

Hell propaganda, 101.

An interesting theory. Is there anything that suggests a connection between Thorned Namshiel and the MacFinns?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
Patrick couldn't have been all bad; I agree with his policy on snakes.
Nobody who saintly Michael shares a name with can be anything but holy.
I maintain he cursed himself for the greater good of containment.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »
Soul fire allows Harry to affect things that his normal magic can't. With Macfinn, he was forced to use his amulet to kill him, I wonder if using soul fire he could instead aim a loup garu at monsters.
k moinuddin

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »
I like Fitz as MacFinn and Terra West's son.

As to the curse passing on, it didn't hit MacFinn until he was in Viet Nam, so probably over 18.

That being said, there is no reason at all that the curse couldn't have been passed to another branch of the family.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 04:37:59 PM »
I like Fitz as MacFinn and Terra West's son.

As to the curse passing on, it didn't hit MacFinn until he was in Viet Nam, so probably over 18.

That being said, there is no reason at all that the curse couldn't have been passed to another branch of the family.
I don't remember it giving that impression? Just that it was intentionally used during Nam to survive.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 07:11:25 PM »
I'll have to check my text later.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 10:59:54 PM »
I can see the curse as being something that happens to an adult male and not a child.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 03:35:26 AM »
I wonder if the fomor were driven out of Ireland by a loup garu. They are said to be great at shapeshifting, so they would love to get access to one. I can just picture them getting torn to pieces by the beast.
k moinuddin