Author Topic: King Arthur on DR?  (Read 11489 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
King Arthur on DR?
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »
Alright this has been done a lot, I know.  Who's the British person there?

Now I know we site the language of the person as being more modern than someone from Arthur's time period.  I grant that as something difficult for my theory to stand up against.  However I'm going by two things I have picked up, one from outside the book, one from inside.

In mythology King Arthur was mortally wounded.  He's taken to an island to heal, but he must remain there to heal, and return at a later time....  I'm putting emphasis on "must remain there" to heal..

Now the person on the Island said "I need to be here". 

That doesn't sound like someone who was locked up.  Most locked up people don't need to be there from their own stand point.  They want out.  Also it was the Lady of the Lake who placed Arthur there.  I see a lot of parallels between Mab, and the Lady of the lake.  The Lady of the lake provided Arthur with Excalibur, and now it will be returned to DR where this British person also waits...  Seems to me things are lining up for that person, and their role in future books...

So discuss, what do you think?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:16:10 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mbresle

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: King Arthur on DR?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:33:59 PM »
most of the discussion so far has centered on the prisoner being Merlin.  Arthur may definitely fit.  I'm just trying to rectify his significance to the future of the dresden files.

Offline Drikonn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »
Him is a lazy writer and likes symmetry. Remind me who the current wielder of Amorachius is?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
Him is a lazy writer and likes symmetry. Remind me who the current wielder of Amorachius is?
A Rock somewhere out in the middle of the lake, or similar  :P

I that the OP is correct though, that at the end of the day the same Language issue that the WOJ pointed out with Merlin would equally apply to Arthur:

2015 San Francisco signing (Coopersfield Books)
The original Merlin, does he sound British?
He’d probably sound so unintelligibly British that you wouldn’t be able to tell he was speaking English.  No, he’s not the guy in Demonreach.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Mbresle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 02:33:31 PM »
I that the OP is correct though, that at the end of the day the same Language issue that the WOJ pointed out with Merlin would equally apply to Arthur:

However, I just thought of an exception.  If Arthur (or Merlin) was in storage/healing in Demonreach, as Alfred's language evolved from listening to the prisoners exclaim their innocence/offer up bargains for freedom; his conversations with Arthur/Merlin could have helped him learn new linguistics.  I think Alfred would be more likely to talk to someone there for safekeeping rather than a prisoner.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »
A Rock somewhere out in the middle of the lake, or similar  :P

That being said, there is the possibility that because it's telepathic communication and not actually vocal, the British accent was a sign of his heritage, an identifying trait, and his ability to get his message across was because it was telepathic and therefor understandable by Harry...  All the other creatures there seemed to also speak English to him perfectly, and you can bet many of them were locked away for probably a thousand years.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »

Nobody is currently wielding it.  It's waiting for the once and future King :-D

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »
That being said, there is the possibility that because it's telepathic communication and not actually vocal, the British accent was a sign of his heritage, an identifying trait, and his ability to get his message across was because it was telepathic and therefor understandable by Harry...  All the other creatures there seemed to also speak English to him perfectly, and you can bet many of them were locked away for probably a thousand years.
Always true, though it still feels off to me...  Also, why would Arthur be telepathic? 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Me Grimlock King

• Conversationalist
  • *Me, Grimlock, no bozo. Me king! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 07:06:18 PM »
I kind of got the idea, that...if you are in there, that's your only way to try and communicate (for whatever reason), since they all seemed to do so.
Magic, motherf*cker.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:50:24 PM »
I kind of got the idea, that...if you are in there, that's your only way to try and communicate (for whatever reason), since they all seemed to do so.
But since communication is "Buggering it up entirely" why would the Well itself be providing for direct mental contact between the Inmates and the Warden? Seems like a security risk.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 05:50:15 AM »
Always true, though it still feels off to me...  Also, why would Arthur be telepathic?

Why would Harry be telepathic? 

My guess is it's the power of being Warden.  Him being Warden has connected him to the Island, and the prisoners.  That's why he can communicate with them.  It's my guess that if someone like Thomas went down there it would be utterly silent for him.  Harry can hear them though because of his Warden status.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »
Why would Harry be telepathic? 

My guess is it's the power of being Warden.  Him being Warden has connected him to the Island, and the prisoners.  That's why he can communicate with them.  It's my guess that if someone like Thomas went down there it would be utterly silent for him.  Harry can hear them though because of his Warden status.
That brings me back to the same question I had for Grimlock King:

But since communication is "Buggering it up entirely" why would the Well itself be providing for direct mental contact between the Inmates and the Warden? Seems like a security risk.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »

Communication is buggering it up entirely for that prisoner.  The rest of the prisoners seem to be fine being allowed to communicate.  The British guy doesn't want to be in contact with anyone.  That just means that while he doesn't want communication, it doesn't mean that it is ACTUALLY "Buggering it up entirely."
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »
That brings me back to the same question I had for Grimlock King:

The Warden should have that power as it might be required to question, or communicate with those locked up.  The person in stasis is just pointing out that Harry, and other Wardens haven't displayed the maturity or wisdom of the original Warden who probably had amazing self control, and blocked out unwanted communication.  Harry doesn't have that communication on the surface.  The original Warden probably did not go down there unless it was absolutely required while Harry was doing parkour down there...  Hardly mature, or wise, and showing a lack of respect for the dangers the prisoners could still inflict even if locked up.  There whispering could influence, or trick him.

The Warden is the controller of that Island.  That person has Intelectus of the Island, control of it's defenses, control over Alfred, and the ability to telepathically communicate with the prisoners.  Of course communicating with the prisoners is a security risk.  So is controlling the Islands defenses, or control over Alfred.  But being Warden is being the boss.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:20:08 PM by groinkick »

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
Communication is buggering it up entirely for that prisoner.  The rest of the prisoners seem to be fine being allowed to communicate.  The British guy doesn't want to be in contact with anyone.  That just means that while he doesn't want communication, it doesn't mean that it is ACTUALLY "Buggering it up entirely."
The Brit seems to be the only one that actually agrees with the Purpose of the Well, that's not hte same thing.  The others seem to LOVE to communicate because without exception they seem to think they might be able to use it to get free.  Which is my point, Any contact at all is potentially a Security Risk, so if you are designing a 5th dimensional Supermax, why risk it?

What the inmates of a Prison think of it's design doesnt really matter...Im sure they'd all vote for short walls made of cheese :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/