Author Topic: When Winter took over at the Outer Gates [Spoilers all, including the DFARPG]  (Read 36036 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Well we know Nymphs, Satyrs, and Centaurs are a part of the Sidhe so it's not a stretch to imagine Sirens are as well. It's possible Jenny Greenteeth was a siren who was bumped in power through her actions and association with Maeve.
Good point.  For that matter, it's always possible that creatures like Sirens were entirely separate entities back in the Homeric heyday, but that they joined/became Fae in much the same way that the Fomor have absorbed non-fae into their midst. 
Kind of like Leansidhe with Mab. I think at first she was just a Muse who used her powers to drive men mad and drink their blood. Which impressed Mab so she became her right hand woman.

That's actually precisely how it went, per WOJ:
2012 Beaver Creek signing
The Leansidhe nature seems to conflict with that of Winter - and she seems to be much more Summer-y, since she wears lots of reds and greens and so on.
They're not elementals.  They're not divided along the lines of - specifically - of the classical elements.  They're more about the elemental portions of the soul, which - okay, that's getting really technical and highfaluting.  But the point is, Lea drains people's blood and drinks it, and that was how she made her bones in the fairy world.  She's an actual legendary figure, where bards and poets and painters and so on would come to her and seek her inspiration.  And she was kind of this vampire-muse - that was the original Leansidhe - that's her original story.  And in the DF universe that was how she made her bones, that's how she impressed big Mab.   It was like - oh wow - you took these guys who were out there just seeking to create something beautiful and yet increased your dark and evil power - Well done!
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Aegnoralkarin

• Participant
    • View Profile
Just a little nitpick - Titania said she hadn't spoken to her sister "since well before Hastings", right? Not "since Hastings".

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Just a little nitpick - Titania said she hadn't spoken to her sister "since well before Hastings", right? Not "since Hastings".
Half-right.  Before, but not "well before"
Quote from: CD Ch 30
“I have not exchanged words with my sister since before Hastings.”

I have this absurd image though, of the two of them in like the 1500, sitting at a table not looking at each other and saying things like "Mother Dear, please tell the Hag over there that Oberon DID love me more!" 

*Sigh, repeats*

"Please tell the troglodyte that she has clearly been blinded to reason by her ridiculous 'emotions' and perhaps it's time she just give up on Life and retire." 

*Continues knitting, does not look up, repeats*

"Mother, please tell..."
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
[[admitting that I haven't read the entire thread]]

The only issue I have with Serack's theory is that he supposes that it was Outsiders that put Winter in Charge, or maybe "created" the Sidhe.

I agree the implication was that someone else did it.  I'd lean more towards the Dragons than Outsiders.  After all we know that Dragons had responsibility for certain aspects of reality at one point.  As they were declining, I can totally see them creating the Sidhe with the purpose of defending reality.

[EDIT]
Also, Jim said that Mab had been Queen for about 1000 years.  We have NO idea how long she was Lady before that.

Also, also ... Mab and Titania don't necessarily have to be actual sisters as in from the same mother/father.  Sister COULD be sister-Queen.  It fits with the language.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:37:46 PM by Rasins »
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
[[admitting that I haven't read the entire thread]]

The only issue I have with Serack's theory is that he supposes that it was Outsiders that put Winter in Charge, or maybe "created" the Sidhe.

I agree the implication was that someone else did it.  I'd lean more towards the Dragons than Outsiders.  After all we know that Dragons had responsibility for certain aspects of reality at one point.  As they were declining, I can totally see them creating the Sidhe with the purpose of defending reality.

Wait what?  By capitalizing Outsiders, I assume you mean the Outsiders the Outer Gates are intended to keep out...  If so, I don't mean that at all and don't know where you got that idea, but would like to know so that I can go back and clarify that portion of the theory...

If by Outsiders you mean "entities external to the Fae courts" well, yah, I suppose that since Jim said, "The Sidhe were created for a reason though.  They were created specifically by certain agents who no longer had as much influence on the world as they once did."

[EDIT]
Also, Jim said that Mab had been Queen for about 1000 years.  We have NO idea how long she was Lady before that.

Also, also ... Mab and Titania don't necessarily have to be actual sisters as in from the same mother/father.  Sister COULD be sister-Queen.  It fits with the language.

Nah, Mab and Titania were biological twins per WoJ

Quote from: 2014 AMA
Can we get a break down of the biological relationships between the various Fae Queens we have seen on screen?
Of particular interest - Maeve and Sarissa, were they actually Mab's kids (biological sense)? If so, who was Mab's baby daddy?
Mab and Titania are actual twin sisters.
Maeve and Sarissa were twin sisters, from Mab. Their father was an Austrian composer and musician who died young.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Wait what?  By capitalizing Outsiders, I assume you mean the Outsiders the Outer Gates are intended to keep out...  If so, I don't mean that at all and don't know where you got that idea, but would like to know so that I can go back and clarify that portion of the theory...

The Sidhe were created by outside agents for a purpose.  (My spin on the below WoJ is that they already existed in some form, and were... appropriated and reshaped to purpose)

That's where I thought outside agents meant agents of OUTSIDERS.  Probably no need to clarify if no one else has noticed.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---