Author Topic: The first line  (Read 22240 times)

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
Re: The first line
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2008, 01:06:06 PM »
I like all of them except three, because it just doesn't seem specific enough.

I'm not bad at starting stories. It's just finishing them I have trouble with. Some of my favorites from my own stuff are:

From my untitled urban fantasy -
What I don't get is why I can swing a hammer at my orc friend's bare head and he's all down with it, but fling a paperclip at him unprepared and all of a sudden he's Mr. Surly.

These are lines I'm still toying with to start my epic, which I've written pieces of but still don't know how to start -
It's one thing to suspect I'm fate's bitch, but it wasn't encouraging when Fate herself confirmed it.

Sometimes, even godlike beings of unparallelled power just want a taste of cold beer and a foot rub. (I'm really eh on this one)

It wasn't hard for evil to feel confident when the apprentice to all things good launched herself out of an armchair, across five universes and a minor pocket dimension, only to land herself in a flurry of falling leaves among the upper branches of an oak tree somewhere in Michigan.

When time ceases to have any meaning, and the end of everything is ready to begin, it all came down to them: The pretty boy and the street rat, down by the lake.

And my favorite of all, from my short story Devilish:
The six damned souls sat in blue plastic chairs arranged in a semi-circle.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
"You're not going to believe this, but it was a dark and stormy night."

As things currently stand, the chapter that opens with that is no longer the first chapter - the book in question is a many-POV monster and one part of getting it right is shifting chapters around for pacing reasons - but I like it anyway.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2008, 03:31:02 PM »
"It was a stark and dormy night at Miskatonic U."
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Noey

• Posty McPostington
  • Life On Planet Pink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2008, 03:44:20 PM »

Awesome. This gives me a great big gift basket full of demonic happy. I wanna read the rest of that story, Liz.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. - C.S. Lewis

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »
;D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2008, 04:53:06 PM »
Awesome. This gives me a great big gift basket full of demonic happy. I wanna read the rest of that story, Liz.

There's no "rest" as of yet, but you're welcome to write it if you like. :)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2008, 06:27:41 PM »

Go 'Pods !!!
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2008, 11:41:25 PM »
"Hamsters make indifferent pets, and even worse grenades."

"Lady Victoria Templeton stretched langourously on the blue silk cushions of her fainting couch, and waited for the 'shrooms to kick in."

I know, I know, I'm just being silly now.

(And it's off topic, but I want to give a nod to my favorite exit line of all time, from my favorite play:  "I'll be reveng'd on the whole pack of you.")

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2008, 01:19:22 AM »
One opening line that's stayed with me since I read it was: "Death drove a green Lamborghini."  It's from a Dean Koontz book, but hell if I remember which one.  Which goes to show that a book can have a great catching first line, but that the book doesn't hold up to it. 

What gets me to read a book comes in steps.  First I'll read titles, look at the artwork, then read the blurb.  If the blurb sounds interesting, I'll read the first line.  If I like the first line, I'll skim the first paragraph/page.  Then if it still sounds interesting, I'll likely buy it and bring it home, and annoy my b/f because he says I devour books.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
having just seen an adaptation of Tale for Two Cities in children's theater....

"It was the best of times.  It was the worst of times."  for openers and
for closing:  "It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done before."

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »
It was a beautiful, starry night, and whoever was in charge of Meteorological Omens needed an old-fashioned ass-kicking. I mean, if you can't rely on the weather for classic dramatic clichés telling you to get it in gear, it's too easy to get caught with your metaphorical pants around your figurative ankles.

Or, in my case, literal pants around actual ankles. Not a dignified position in which to start Armageddon, even a baby Armageddon. In a way, though, it was awfully convenient, because seeing Gabriel himself getting bitch-slapped through your very own, previously-unentered-by-supernatural-beings bathroom window is fairly likely to cause a reaction that makes having a toilet right there a very good thing. A very good thing.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2008, 02:23:11 PM »
It was a beautiful, starry night, and whoever was in charge of Meteorological Omens needed an old-fashioned ass-kicking. I mean, if you can't rely on the weather for classic dramatic clichés telling you to get it in gear, it's too easy to get caught with your metaphorical pants around your figurative ankles.

Or, in my case, literal pants around actual ankles. Not a dignified position in which to start Armageddon, even a baby Armageddon. In a way, though, it was awfully convenient, because seeing Gabriel himself getting bitch-slapped through your very own, previously-unentered-by-supernatural-beings bathroom window is fairly likely to cause a reaction that makes having a toilet right there a very good thing. A very good thing.

For the Win!    ;D

Is there more of that story?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2008, 02:24:29 PM »
For the Win!    ;D

Is there more of that story?

Nope. That one just popped into my head and I thought I'd share.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
It sorta reminds me of Good Omens.  Same sense of humor.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2008, 01:30:35 PM »
With good reason - I think Good Omens may be the funniest novel I've ever read. Combine that with Jim-style snark and it's just what I want to grow up to be. ;)