Author Topic: Fanfic characters  (Read 11240 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Fanfic characters
« on: October 28, 2015, 01:43:09 AM »
Hello folks.  Not sure if anyone is up for this or not, but I'm looking for volunteers to share existing/create new wizard characters for a fanfic I'm going to write.  I've written four Dresdenverse fanfics so far, and the next one is the first that will have wizards in it.

I'd need to know the character profile basics, temperament and personality, and strengths and weaknesses.  I'd also need to know if you'd approve of them living, dying, or doing something in between.  Character use would be something akin to Kawasaki and Yoshimo from DEAD BEAT, with the possibility of more screen time.

Thanks, and let me know!

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic characters
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »
Tag to return with a writeup of my old Dresdenverse character...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Jabberwocky

• Conversationalist
  • Radical Reactionary Habsburg Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 05:54:23 PM »
If you find the idea useful I don't mind what happens to him :-)
https://toonstore.net/Jabberwocky/Reon/

Btw., here's the real man: http://reon.cz/
A Hundred Towers? – Our Prague campaign.
Dramatis personae – Cast of characters, both PCs and NPCs.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »
If you find the idea useful I don't mind what happens to him :-)
https://toonstore.net/Jabberwocky/Reon/

Btw., here's the real man: http://reon.cz/
That might work out exceptionally well.  I'm not sure about using a real world name, though...

Offline Jabberwocky

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »
Feel free to change whatever you deem necessary for your needs. Mutatis mutandis... :-)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 10:17:24 PM »
Here is a brief rundown of my old Dresdenverse Character, feel free to use him as you wish. I guess just dont make him too evil. Not without cause, I mean. Oh, whatever, just have fun with him. :P

Simon Phane

Phane is a Council Wizard and master Alchemist.  He operates a shop that publicly deals in New Age junk, homeopathic remedies, etc, but that is largely a front for an alchemy supply business run out of a hidden room from the building's Prohibition days.  He is the guy you go to when you are in need of depleted uranium, cheetah hair, Mouse scampers, and the other rare oddities needed for potion-craft, especially when you cant use the internet without blowing things up.  He also has a thriving contract business for custom potions and other magical oddities.  He is something of a magic nerd, his business is really just there to support his experiments. He's something of a prodigy when it comes to alchemy and potion recipes, he can anticipate the behavior of ingredients almost as well as a SoI, for example.  Long use and constant experimentation has built him a resistance to the hazards of mixing potions (though some potions just should never mix, regardless) so he can handle up to three in his system at any given time; however 98% o the time one of those three will be a basic vitality and perception boosting potion, one he's relied on for so long that he has something of an addiction going. 

His mentor was a college professor/wizard, another master alchemist with a talent for redirecting energy, whereas Simon's talent relates more toward transmuting one energy to another.  He is not very brawny, as far ass wizards go, so he relies on preparation and efficiency more than most to accomplish his goals. 

His primary focus is a pair of finger-less gloves.  Each has a pentacle inscribed on the back, with multi-material energy traces leading from each point to each finger, where it interfaces with a ring that has 13 stones set around it's circumference.  The materials are broad and balanced, the gloves a blend of plant and animal, the traces are twisted strands of multiple metals, etc.  The two gloves are distinct, with different materials and stones. Rather than magic words or gestures, each spell he casts requires it's own combination of stones to be aligned to the active traces; his gloves offer 13 options for each finger on each hand, which is quite a few combinations.  Depending on the nature of the spell, it may require the left hand, the right, or both.  When he was a teenager, his prototype attempted to automate teh rings so that they moved aligned naturally to optimize whatever spell he was trying; for reasons unknown, this was a disaster then led to the death of somebody with a pink cellphone.  He still has those prototype rings, and while they are far more powerful than his curent ones, he refuses to use them out of fear. I never elaborated on the details of those things but I had it in my head that he might have bargained with some spirit to inhabit and operate them, and it went badly.  It taught him patience, and the value of doing things the slow and hard way rather than seeking out shortcuts.  He'd previously thought that finding the shortcuts was the whole point and the whole fun of magic. 

Beyond the gloves he has a magic black jacket.  It typically looks like a Vietnam era field jacket, but can be manipulated to resemble most coat styles, including extending its length or growing a hood.  It's made from a special material harvested from the Realm of Shadows region of the NN, specifically a nearby area that looks like a negative color equivalent to the mortal world (but with dangerous denizens).  In that place starlight is pure black but more substantial (much like how light is more substantial than shadow), and can be harvested into a thread much like how Sunlight can be folded into a hanky.  That material allows solid objects to be folded into it, and the end result is a tardis-like coat that can store vast amounts of miscellaneous junk.  (I did it before Rothfuss, so there)

His next most popular tools is an ectoplasm reserve. He doesnt have the muscle to summon boatloads of the stuff any time he needs it (like most summoners), so instead he has figured out a way to stabilize raw ectoplasm so that it can stay in the RW without evaporating.  He then carries a supply around (in camel-hump water bags, with the tubes down his sleeves); if he needs something, say a hammer, he can "summon" it by trickling out some ectoplasm from his reservoir and then exerting just enough force to give it shape and form.  He has a distillery vat in his basement that is slowly trickling out ectoplasm from the NN, so he has a finite supply at any one time, and even less actively carried.  An extra exertion will let the object hold it's for for a second or three after he lets go, enough to throw it at somebody, but not for long periods without stabilizing agents. 

From there he had a bunch of more martial gizmos.  At the time I got really involved in designing the mechanical details of his battle gear, but by concept the guy tend to more carry ingredients and improvise stuff in the moment. He carries a supply of gadget potions that he sells in his shop, things like Instant Circle for example.  One of my favorites was an entirely mundane ink stamp that he'd use to mark Bic Lighters, which would release all the contained chemical energy in one swift conflagration, making it a grenade. 

He uses a focus similar to Harry's Bear belt-buckle to provide energy for on-the-fly potion making in an emergency, but it cant support many of them and takes a prohibitively long time to recharge, during which Simon has little to spare for experimentation, so he doesnt tap the reserve if he can avoid it. 

Misc
A random character introduction scene: He was trying to make a potion to grow temporary wings from ectoplasm, but added too much gorilla hair (for extra strength) and ended up sprouting large gorilla arms from his back, which promptly began battering him about the head and shoulders, but they were sprouted from the part of his own back he could not reach, so he could not touch the root of them to dispel the link. The new character met him when he suddenly burst from the back room screaming for somebody to Get Them Off. 

Last I left the character he was interested in learning more about Ways and NN exploration.  He'd done significant NN travel to harvest his various ingredients, but always Stayed On The Path and followed his directions/Maps, rather than exploring in any real way. He'd made a deal with another Player character, a Summer Fae, to teach him the ropes, but it never went anywhere. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:37 PM »
I've got about three wizards that I've used that might turn into a good story.
Penny is young, exuberant, naive, kind, and in over her head.  She is a decent thaumaturgist, but still hasn't developed her evocation skills, and has impetuously made a deal with the Summer Court for summer magic to supplement.
Livia is carefree, larcenous, curious, nonviolent, and incautious.  Her magic is most influenced by her First time is the charm aspect, which means she can usually whip up an improvised spell to bail her out of the bad situations she keeps getting herself into, but can't necessarily do it again when she tries.
Katya is experienced, paranoid, precise, patient and unflinching.  She relies on her thaumaturgy most, doing crafting, conjuration and veils with expertise, all things that reflect her character.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 01:19:39 AM »
Feel free to change whatever you deem necessary for your needs. Mutatis mutandis... :-)
If I were to change it, I'd keep it close.  P.S., how would you feel about Reon having an apprentice?

Here is a brief rundown of my old Dresdenverse Character, feel free to use him as you wish. I guess just dont make him too evil. Not without cause, I mean. Oh, whatever, just have fun with him. :P

Simon Phane

Phane is a Council Wizard and master Alchemist.  He operates a shop that publicly deals in New Age junk, homeopathic remedies, etc, but that is largely a front for an alchemy supply business run out of a hidden room from the building's Prohibition days.  He is the guy you go to when you are in need of depleted uranium, cheetah hair, Mouse scampers, and the other rare oddities needed for potion-craft, especially when you cant use the internet without blowing things up.  He also has a thriving contract business for custom potions and other magical oddities.  He is something of a magic nerd, his business is really just there to support his experiments. He's something of a prodigy when it comes to alchemy and potion recipes, he can anticipate the behavior of ingredients almost as well as a SoI, for example.  Long use and constant experimentation has built him a resistance to the hazards of mixing potions (though some potions just should never mix, regardless) so he can handle up to three in his system at any given time; however 98% o the time one of those three will be a basic vitality and perception boosting potion, one he's relied on for so long that he has something of an addiction going. 

His mentor was a college professor/wizard, another master alchemist with a talent for redirecting energy, whereas Simon's talent relates more toward transmuting one energy to another.  He is not very brawny, as far ass wizards go, so he relies on preparation and efficiency more than most to accomplish his goals. 

His primary focus is a pair of finger-less gloves.  Each has a pentacle inscribed on the back, with multi-material energy traces leading from each point to each finger, where it interfaces with a ring that has 13 stones set around it's circumference.  The materials are broad and balanced, the gloves a blend of plant and animal, the traces are twisted strands of multiple metals, etc.  The two gloves are distinct, with different materials and stones. Rather than magic words or gestures, each spell he casts requires it's own combination of stones to be aligned to the active traces; his gloves offer 13 options for each finger on each hand, which is quite a few combinations.  Depending on the nature of the spell, it may require the left hand, the right, or both.  When he was a teenager, his prototype attempted to automate teh rings so that they moved aligned naturally to optimize whatever spell he was trying; for reasons unknown, this was a disaster then led to the death of somebody with a pink cellphone.  He still has those prototype rings, and while they are far more powerful than his curent ones, he refuses to use them out of fear. I never elaborated on the details of those things but I had it in my head that he might have bargained with some spirit to inhabit and operate them, and it went badly.  It taught him patience, and the value of doing things the slow and hard way rather than seeking out shortcuts.  He'd previously thought that finding the shortcuts was the whole point and the whole fun of magic. 

Beyond the gloves he has a magic black jacket.  It typically looks like a Vietnam era field jacket, but can be manipulated to resemble most coat styles, including extending its length or growing a hood.  It's made from a special material harvested from the Realm of Shadows region of the NN, specifically a nearby area that looks like a negative color equivalent to the mortal world (but with dangerous denizens).  In that place starlight is pure black but more substantial (much like how light is more substantial than shadow), and can be harvested into a thread much like how Sunlight can be folded into a hanky.  That material allows solid objects to be folded into it, and the end result is a tardis-like coat that can store vast amounts of miscellaneous junk.  (I did it before Rothfuss, so there)

His next most popular tools is an ectoplasm reserve. He doesnt have the muscle to summon boatloads of the stuff any time he needs it (like most summoners), so instead he has figured out a way to stabilize raw ectoplasm so that it can stay in the RW without evaporating.  He then carries a supply around (in camel-hump water bags, with the tubes down his sleeves); if he needs something, say a hammer, he can "summon" it by trickling out some ectoplasm from his reservoir and then exerting just enough force to give it shape and form.  He has a distillery vat in his basement that is slowly trickling out ectoplasm from the NN, so he has a finite supply at any one time, and even less actively carried.  An extra exertion will let the object hold it's for for a second or three after he lets go, enough to throw it at somebody, but not for long periods without stabilizing agents. 

From there he had a bunch of more martial gizmos.  At the time I got really involved in designing the mechanical details of his battle gear, but by concept the guy tend to more carry ingredients and improvise stuff in the moment. He carries a supply of gadget potions that he sells in his shop, things like Instant Circle for example.  One of my favorites was an entirely mundane ink stamp that he'd use to mark Bic Lighters, which would release all the contained chemical energy in one swift conflagration, making it a grenade. 

He uses a focus similar to Harry's Bear belt-buckle to provide energy for on-the-fly potion making in an emergency, but it cant support many of them and takes a prohibitively long time to recharge, during which Simon has little to spare for experimentation, so he doesnt tap the reserve if he can avoid it. 

Misc
A random character introduction scene: He was trying to make a potion to grow temporary wings from ectoplasm, but added too much gorilla hair (for extra strength) and ended up sprouting large gorilla arms from his back, which promptly began battering him about the head and shoulders, but they were sprouted from the part of his own back he could not reach, so he could not touch the root of them to dispel the link. The new character met him when he suddenly burst from the back room screaming for somebody to Get Them Off. 

Last I left the character he was interested in learning more about Ways and NN exploration.  He'd done significant NN travel to harvest his various ingredients, but always Stayed On The Path and followed his directions/Maps, rather than exploring in any real way. He'd made a deal with another Player character, a Summer Fae, to teach him the ropes, but it never went anywhere.
What about age, appearance, and location? 

I've got about three wizards that I've used that might turn into a good story.
Penny is young, exuberant, naive, kind, and in over her head.  She is a decent thaumaturgist, but still hasn't developed her evocation skills, and has impetuously made a deal with the Summer Court for summer magic to supplement.
Livia is carefree, larcenous, curious, nonviolent, and incautious.  Her magic is most influenced by her First time is the charm aspect, which means she can usually whip up an improvised spell to bail her out of the bad situations she keeps getting herself into, but can't necessarily do it again when she tries.
Katya is experienced, paranoid, precise, patient and unflinching.  She relies on her thaumaturgy most, doing crafting, conjuration and veils with expertise, all things that reflect her character.

Also, how would you feel about Penny having a master?  And is Penny short for anything?  There's already a Penny in the series, so I might want to tweak the name (might even do it in-story, like "we already have a Harry")

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 05:47:20 AM »
Another thing.  If your character is a Warden, I'll also need to know if they were a Warden before or after DEAD BEAT.  That will determine if they have an enchanted blade or not.

Some characters might not have been wardens before, but got drafted into service like Harry did.  I could see where that might be the case for some of these.

Offline Jabberwocky

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 09:06:28 AM »
Frankly speaking, I don't care much what you change or not. He's an NPC in our universe and nothing will change for us if you use the concept or name or whatever. You can use any of my dramatis personae or story setting ideas (both in my signature) as a source of inspiration. As for your other question: In our version of the universe he became Warden sometimes between 1990 and 1992. I don't know whether that is pre-Dead Beat or not as I haven't read the books :-) I just like DFRPG and loosely model my Prague setting on it. There might even be no Harry in our version of the universe. Speaking about an apprentice I could imagine Reon having a fanclub of young inexperienced girls/women fascinated with him. Some of them might even possess some arcane talent. In our universe he would certainly abuse this fact in some way as he is an egocentric asshole, a Lawbreaker and with the Lecherous aspect. But again, use or change whatever fits your needs.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 12:42:26 PM »
The short answer is that none of those are very solid.  When I last wrote him he was a Harry analog, so he was of similar age (born late 70's/ early 80's) and operating his shop out of an old ghostbusters-style firehouse in Chicago. He was originally conceived to explain how Harry managed to get exotic potion materials, so he was an alchemy wizard version of Bock's, in some respects.   He looked more or less like a skinny post-college Me in my head, so 5'8" 155 lbs, long dark hair, trimmed beard, with the uneven tan of somebody that keeps irregular hours. 

He has something of an absent minded professor vibe, constantly preoccupied with one project or another.  He wouldnt have actively sought to join the Wardens, but if pressed he'd whine but wouldnt run away from it (the council probably wouldnt have drafted him until after their heavy losses in DB).  He is on the far low end in terms of Power Levels, by council standards; he barely made it in in the first place, but he's clever and so makes up for it with ingenuity. 

I did make up a pseudo-potion weapon idea that he used in lieu of traditional evocation, and even now I think it fits the setting pretty well.  I think I called them Infusions, but they were essentially Potions that were intended to be thrown grenade style (Target Other) instead of imbibed by drinking (Target Self); so they are identical to Potions except instead of [base]+[5 senses]+[mind]+[spirit] these were made with [Base]+[4 elements]+[Spirit].  I see them as intentional versions of all the potion mistakes we keep seeing that can eat through concrete and make toxic gasses and such, playing off the pentacle Five Elements framework.     

In practical terms there isn't a whole lot in his backstory that is tied to a particular age and/or time period.  He lost a childhood friend or sibling to his early mistakes, but that can be reset to any decade.  His mentor is still an active if grey-haired professor, but wizard longevity makes that easy to work around.  It would probably make more sense for him to be older than I originally envisioned, if only so that he has had time to gain the accumulated resources and contacts he'd need to run his kind of business.  I'd say have him appear young but approaching middle age (30-40) but actually have grow up during maybe WWII or shortly after?

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 03:18:54 PM »
Frankly speaking, I don't care much what you change or not. He's an NPC in our universe and nothing will change for us if you use the concept or name or whatever. You can use any of my dramatis personae or story setting ideas (both in my signature) as a source of inspiration. As for your other question: In our version of the universe he became Warden sometimes between 1990 and 1992. I don't know whether that is pre-Dead Beat or not as I haven't read the books :-) I just like DFRPG and loosely model my Prague setting on it. There might even be no Harry in our version of the universe. Speaking about an apprentice I could imagine Reon having a fanclub of young inexperienced girls/women fascinated with him. Some of them might even possess some arcane talent. In our universe he would certainly abuse this fact in some way as he is an egocentric asshole, a Lawbreaker and with the Lecherous aspect. But again, use or change whatever fits your needs.
Gotcha.  Just didn't want to step on toes. 

The short answer is that none of those are very solid.  When I last wrote him he was a Harry analog, so he was of similar age (born late 70's/ early 80's) and operating his shop out of an old ghostbusters-style firehouse in Chicago. He was originally conceived to explain how Harry managed to get exotic potion materials, so he was an alchemy wizard version of Bock's, in some respects.   He looked more or less like a skinny post-college Me in my head, so 5'8" 155 lbs, long dark hair, trimmed beard, with the uneven tan of somebody that keeps irregular hours. 

He has something of an absent minded professor vibe, constantly preoccupied with one project or another.  He wouldnt have actively sought to join the Wardens, but if pressed he'd whine but wouldnt run away from it (the council probably wouldnt have drafted him until after their heavy losses in DB).  He is on the far low end in terms of Power Levels, by council standards; he barely made it in in the first place, but he's clever and so makes up for it with ingenuity. 

I did make up a pseudo-potion weapon idea that he used in lieu of traditional evocation, and even now I think it fits the setting pretty well.  I think I called them Infusions, but they were essentially Potions that were intended to be thrown grenade style (Target Other) instead of imbibed by drinking (Target Self); so they are identical to Potions except instead of [base]+[5 senses]+[mind]+[spirit] these were made with [Base]+[4 elements]+[Spirit].  I see them as intentional versions of all the potion mistakes we keep seeing that can eat through concrete and make toxic gasses and such, playing off the pentacle Five Elements framework.     

In practical terms there isn't a whole lot in his backstory that is tied to a particular age and/or time period.  He lost a childhood friend or sibling to his early mistakes, but that can be reset to any decade.  His mentor is still an active if grey-haired professor, but wizard longevity makes that easy to work around.  It would probably make more sense for him to be older than I originally envisioned, if only so that he has had time to gain the accumulated resources and contacts he'd need to run his kind of business.  I'd say have him appear young but approaching middle age (30-40) but actually have grow up during maybe WWII or shortly after?
He'd probably have to look like he's in his forties at least, if he was alive at the tail end of WWII.

Those with more power age slower, and Harry's one of the most powerful of his generation.  Harry is now 39 in the books, and there's been no commentary that he looks any younger than that.  If Simon is on the low end of power, its unlikely he'd age slower than Harry.

The solution would be for him to have created a potion that allows him to alter his apparent age.  Either that, nor not as old as WWII.  I'd probably go with the younger version for what I'm planning.

Offline Jabberwocky

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 04:45:40 PM »
No problem, pal. No toes here, really :-)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 05:10:42 PM »
He'd probably have to look like he's in his forties at least, if he was alive at the tail end of WWII.

Those with more power age slower, and Harry's one of the most powerful of his generation.  Harry is now 39 in the books, and there's been no commentary that he looks any younger than that.  If Simon is on the low end of power, its unlikely he'd age slower than Harry.

The solution would be for him to have created a potion that allows him to alter his apparent age.  Either that, nor not as old as WWII.  I'd probably go with the younger version for what I'm planning.
I used to think so too, but I dont anymore.  Binder is over a hundred years old and he can still use a cellphone if he turns it off after.  There's a WOJ on the longevity to the effect that the Longevity is tied to magic's use, specifically, "Constant exposure through use."  By that measure, Binder may not be a Council level talent in scope, but he is likely to perform a hundred individual summonings before lunch.  Contrast that to the murphionic field that is purely a Power-level thing.

Regardless either way can work for the character; age is just an easy way to explain away financial independence/stability with wizards, and WWII is a time period rife with plot hooks. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »

Also, how would you feel about Penny having a master?  And is Penny short for anything?  There's already a Penny in the series, so I might want to tweak the name (might even do it in-story, like "we already have a Harry")

Hopefully you can get a good idea of appearances from the pictures I put in the character sheets.

Penny is young.  Around 16-18.  Just learning to use magic.  Her full name (as mentioned at the top of her sheet) is Penelope Lumi Satakieli.  Her last name is Finnish for Nightingale.  Penny certainly did have a master teaching her magic at one point.  But since she made a deal for Summer power, she has been on the outs with him.  At least that was what we were going with for that short-lived game.  I suppose you could change her story around if her master was Reon or someone who would have encouraged her to take up her Summer heritage.  Or to go the other way, I think there would be a much better story if her Master was desperately trying to influence her to keep her from falling into the sway of Summer.  Her game took place in Las Vegas, but I don't see much reason she couldn't be nearly anywhere.

Livia is in her late twenties.  She is fully trained in magic.  She is originally from England, but was living in Los Angeles in her story.  She probably moves around a lot as a professional Cat-Burglar.

Katya was born in 1903.  But her story was set at the start of World War 2, so she is in her mid-forties.  Still, actual historic events are pretty important in her story, so if you use her, you should probably just make her 112 years old.