Author Topic: Should I feel offended?  (Read 30277 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Should I feel offended?
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2015, 02:59:48 AM »
LOL! Hubby caught that in Albion they play golf. I had not idea because I didn't know the expression (something about par to the course or something)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2015, 03:46:36 AM »
LOL! Hubby caught that in Albion they play golf. I had not idea because I didn't know the expression (something about par to the course or something)
Yeah, it's at the end of Ch.40.  Though it could be another "horse" type situation where the language doesn't reflect the way things are in the story's present.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2015, 03:55:17 AM »
Probably.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2015, 02:57:53 AM »
for me, I always pictured the Aurorans as Italian-based.  I was listening to the audiobook while I worked, and my accent identification stinks anyway, but it /seemed/ like that was what Mr. Morton was going for.  I could easily be mistaken though.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2015, 03:01:20 AM »
I had not heard the audiobooks so I can't tell. Mr Morton is the one doing the reading?
Missing you, Md 

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2015, 04:43:43 AM »
I had not heard the audiobooks so I can't tell. Mr Morton is the one doing the reading?
Euan Morton, yes

Offline trixsterjl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2015, 03:11:55 PM »
I didn't read all of the replies... However the spire names seem to derive from a Greek mythos base
Olympia, Albion, and Aurora... 2 are Greek Gods, 1 is the home of the gods. The other uses of the words are probably derived from those roots.

**hmm spire Jereezi?** As far as i know only these 4 spires are named if you spotted one update me please. I think the Spire Jereeze however, might not ever come up again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:09:36 PM by trixsterjl »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2015, 03:37:35 PM »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline trixsterjl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »
Steam Punk by it's nature identifies with the Victorian Era of England which identified heavily with ancient Greece.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2015, 04:41:16 PM »
Steam Punk by it's nature identifies with the Victorian Era of England which identified heavily with ancient Greece.
Just pointed out that Albion was not a greek god or the home of a greek god, it is just the oldest name for that island we have.

SH[Elaine+++]

Offline trixsterjl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2015, 05:45:37 PM »
Just pointed out that Albion was not a greek god or the home of a greek god, it is just the oldest name for that island we have.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alebion

I suspect we should both be careful when using wiki as a reference as any true scholarly work would not allow that. LOL. Anyway Without doing a study i'd be unsure of what the true root of the islands name is. As to why Jim used it for the spire i'd have to defer to him. Aurora was roman not greek, and Olympia could be from either root. The point of the reply for me though was that Auroran most likely has nothing to do with spain.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2015, 06:45:29 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alebion

I suspect we should both be careful when using wiki as a reference as any true scholarly work would not allow that. LOL.
I did not use wiki for research, I knew what I was looking for. The term Albion is still occasionally used, occurs in old welsh and Irish texts and is the current Gaelic name for Scotland, i read the name on an official government building in Edinburgh years ago.

The term is also used by Englands enemies in this context:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O214-PerfidiousAlbion.html

I did know the term but did not know where it came from, the french invented it.
Anyway Without doing a study i'd be unsure of what the true root of the islands name is.
Read the article, it is actually quite accurate.
As to why Jim used it for the spire i'd have to defer to him. Aurora was roman not greek, and Olympia could be from either root. The point of the reply for me though was that Auroran most likely has nothing to do with spain.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2015, 08:13:19 PM »
Yeah, Albion is definitely a reference to an old name for Britain not some random offspring of Poseidon, just look at the spire's culture.  For example, the focus on tea isn't a coincidence.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »
I never had any doubt. We (in Argentine) still heard "the blonde Albion" sometimes as a reference to the British Islands. Never had doubt about that, I am familiar with the use.
Still, perhaps reading the thread will tell you why I am convinced Aurora = Spain. I barely began rereading and the name Cortez and Castillo are clear enough (even when I admit Itasca being a name from USA disorients me)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2015, 12:25:21 AM »
I feel like this thread has more people trying to marginalize the offense Dina is arguing, rather than acknowledging it.

Some of y'all are reaching pretty far, too.  It's kinda rude.  And weird.

"I'm offended by these depictions, and here's why."
"I, with my completely different cultural background(and philosophy as a reader), didn't parse nuance the same way, so your feelings are wrong, and so are you."

I'm pretty confused by people saying, "Oh, yeah, Albion is clearly British, because of this characterization..." but somebody saying, "I find the Latin stereotyping of Aurora offensive" gets a response of "Oh, you're just making things up and reading too much into it, it's totally not an analogue to an Earth culture/history."  Really?  That odd sound you hear is cognitive dissonance.