Author Topic: Waste systems  (Read 21914 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Waste systems
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 04:40:44 PM »
um, what?   Where is this quote?
Well damn, spent 20 minutes looking and I cant find it.  It was very recent, I think somebody asked him if the outer gates could gain sentience over time in the way that things like the Athame apparently do, and he said that even if it did it would just become more aware of it's 'Here-ness'.  I think it was the same one where he says the Outer gates dont actually look like that, but that what we saw was how Harry's brain had to interpret what it was seeing into simple concepts. 

EDIT:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:45:30 PM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »
Oh yeah, I think I recall that one.  It's suggestive and interesting, but oh so open to interpretation.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2015, 05:04:28 PM »
Oh yeah, I think I recall that one.  It's suggestive and interesting, but oh so open to interpretation.
I know right?  All it takes is a single "probably" and it all becomes as solids as jello.   ;D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »
The way I would interpret that WoJ is that *if* the Gates were a regular "construct" (like demonreach?), then the amount of energies involved would have given it some form of sentinence.  But, since the Gates are actually something else entirely (a "living" creature?  A mantle made solid?  A physical manifestation of one of the fundemental laws of the universe?), then this rule doesn't apply.

Note that this interpretation somewhat contradicts Harry's impressions of the gate -- that is actually is a physcial object (need to recheck who he talks to about this Rashid/MS and what their response is).

DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2015, 05:53:44 PM »
The way I would interpret that WoJ is that *if* the Gates were a regular "construct" (like demonreach?), then the amount of energies involved would have given it some form of sentience.  But, since the Gates are actually something else entirely (a "living" creature?  A mantle made solid?  A physical manifestation of one of the fundamental laws of the universe?), then this rule doesn't apply.

Note that this interpretation somewhat contradicts Harry's impressions of the gate -- that is actually is a physcial object (need to recheck who he talks to about this Rashid/MS and what their response is).
I tend to lean that way as well, with this as a more general statement about Sites and large inanimate objects with Power/awareness.  Those first three words give me pause though; I think they imply that the Gates are indeed Aware, but for different reasons than are being implied by the questioner. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Keith_w

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 03:04:02 AM »
I've just finished the book, and was thinking that they use an awful lot of resources.  Recycling is a fine first step for waste and water, but successful cloning in vats, as well as the manufacture of crystals and who knows what else requires much greater resources I am sure.  They create steel weapons coated in copper and copper cannon.  Since they do not utilize the surface of whatever planet they are on, where do the raw materials for them come from?
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 03:23:33 AM »
I've just finished the book, and was thinking that they use an awful lot of resources.  Recycling is a fine first step for waste and water, but successful cloning in vats, as well as the manufacture of crystals and who knows what else requires much greater resources I am sure.  They create steel weapons coated in copper and copper cannon.  Since they do not utilize the surface of whatever planet they are on, where do the raw materials for them come from?
They have mines, that's a punishment for higher crimes.
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 04:44:21 AM »
how do they mine? If they dig underneath the spire they reissue destabilizing it. How would they even locate new site if the surface is so deadly?

The waste systems are likely linked to the meat vatteries and the water gardens, that are likely in some form in each Habble. They must have some really advance hydroponics or at least a magical version.
k moinuddin

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 09:15:43 PM »
how do they mine? If they dig underneath the spire they reissue destabilizing it. How would they even locate new site if the surface is so deadly?

The waste systems are likely linked to the meat vatteries and the water gardens, that are likely in some form in each Habble. They must have some really advance hydroponics or at least a magical version.
Didn't they have caravans that go between the spires? It's dangerous but instant death. It's like walking through any wild place
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 11:19:14 PM »
Didn't they have caravans that go between the spires? It's dangerous but instant death. It's like walking through any wild place
I thought so too, but I looked back on that passage recently (for a similar conversation) and they'd only traveled a mile or so on the surface and were implying that they'd crashed an airship and been required to hike about a mile on the surface. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 04:10:32 AM »
Unless they have roads on the surface, traveling through a mist drenched jungle with lots of goods would be next to impossible.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 01:57:34 PM »
Unless they have roads on the surface, traveling through a mist drenched jungle with lots of goods would be next to impossible.
Not impossible necessarily, but certainly suicidal
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2015, 03:56:04 AM »
I think it depends on just how many spires there are in their world. If they exist in high numbers, then there can't be a limited number of mines, as that would allow the spires that control them unprecedented power over the others.
k moinuddin

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2015, 05:05:38 AM »
I think it depends on just how many spires there are in their world. If they exist in high numbers, then there can't be a limited number of mines, as that would allow the spires that control them unprecedented power over the others.
I mean, there's a spire whose entire economy is driven by its honey monopoly. I wouldn't be surprised if other spires had monopolies over various mined materials

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2015, 03:08:59 PM »
Spires likely force an extra ordinary level of recycling. If one spire has a honey monopoly, could another have certain stone monopolies? People have paid a lot for certain types of stone when designing stuff specificly.
k moinuddin