Author Topic: Why do you think Grimm...?  (Read 8494 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you think Grimm...?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 09:26:07 PM »
I'm not so sure, at least not for when Grimm got kicked out of the Fleet.  I would have expected Grimm to have lost more respect for Rook if he had done something that out of line initially.
You say that like he has any respect at all for Rook now.  Rook, the pompous, lecherous ass that he slapped across the face, twice, to remind the man not to threaten him, or said another way he slapped the man twice to remind the ass that they both knew he didnt have the courage to actually challenge Grimm and so his posturing was pointless. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 03:42:04 AM »
You say that like he has any respect at all for Rook now.  Rook, the pompous, lecherous ass that he slapped across the face, twice, to remind the man not to threaten him, or said another way he slapped the man twice to remind the ass that they both knew he didnt have the courage to actually challenge Grimm and so his posturing was pointless.
Going back and rereading, you might be right.  I had forgotten how poorly their first conversation went.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 05:15:39 AM »
This might be interesting

Quote from: Calliope
You've grown so cynical since the Admiralty cashiered you for following orders, Francis
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
This might be interesting
Im thinking that means something along the lines of He kept them on-mission, Did His Duty and all that, and was then drummed out because they needed a scapegoat for some reason. 

Off-shoot question:  How did he get the Predator?  A disgraced captain with a First Generation crystal?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rygar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »
I suspect that's going to be a major plot point in a future book

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 10:08:18 PM »
Me too. Remember that
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Rygar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:27 PM »
Im thinking that means something along the lines of He kept them on-mission, Did His Duty and all that, and was then drummed out because they needed a scapegoat for some reason. 

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 10:18:09 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Possible, though I'm curious if perhaps he too is part of a High House; he has the bearing/manners, something the scene with Gwen and the Spirearch sort of established is a High-born thing, and he has the First Gen Core, which alone is the wealth of a High House (some of them at any rate).  Perhaps he's an illegitimate son, or the last scion of an otherwise dead house?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 10:23:37 PM »
I think he probably is from a minor House, like Bridget. I also felt that vibe by the tea set he had.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »
I think he probably is from a minor House, like Bridget. I also felt that vibe by the tea set he had.
Th bit about being a proper son of Albion that knows instinctively and to the second how long it takes his tea to cool to proper drinking temperature?  I got the same impression
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 10:41:08 PM »
Yes, and he has all the accesories for it, even the heater.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Rygar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 01:10:18 AM »
That's probably just a British joke. Ferrus and Sycorax drink at the same time he does.

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 01:27:30 AM »
I do find Cora's arguments about how the military is over funded, as she is currently in the process of leading an assault on the people she is criticizing for having military.  Also, considering the populations, I suspect that even if all the cores were used to fuel the Spires, with no military threat, that it would not meet the demands of the Spire.

Not saying it is not a valid viewpoint, it just seems like it was coming from the wrong person at the wrong time.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 01:33:49 AM »
That's probably just a British joke. Ferrus and Sycorax drink at the same time he does.
Well, of course there is something of that, as they are clearly British (Albion) but I still think it shows that Grimm has been born in some sort of high society, even if it is not "as high" as Rook's.
Missing you, Md 

Offline novaseaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2015, 10:01:58 PM »
I agree a real coward is not needed, but we obviously think Rook did something cowardly.

I believe during the first conversation between Grimm and Rook, Grimm either outright says or mentally narrates an implication that Rook is the type of man to stab another in the back.

Whether figuratively or literally (I took it literally at the time) that is pretty cowardly.