Author Topic: The Index  (Read 23361 times)

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
Re: The Index
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
Index is user names and passwords for the Builder's Hidden Technology.

This is why you don't write down you passwords!   Crazy people in the future will use them for their own means. 

/Crazy Ass Theory

Offline fish321

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »
I'm running with the train of thought that much like the Dresden universe all the gods are real. In the breaking of the world the ones who needed a way to survive poured some part of themself into the crystals. Somehow their power or sentience was put into something like a cryogenic state. The Index are their Names, as well as the names of supernatural figures who are still in heaven doing.....something. This ties into the burning ships because when the enemy uses their True Names it pulls them from the crystal one state in a burst of power.

Or something similar. I think part of this idea comes from reading a Raymond E Feist novel where 7 or so gods turned themselves and all the magic of their world into crystalline form. It could also be looked at like making a mantle of sorts in Dresden universe just with the beings sentience being a part of it. I haven't fleshed it all out yet and it's definitely a wag but I'll keep working on it and attempting to sway you all until I'm proven wrong, which will likely be easy.
Wile E. Coyote.....Suuuuuuper genius

Offline Shodan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »

I think the index was a list of all of the known 'mages' like Folly and her master. 

The big bad that folly confronted in her dream attempted to control her and failed.  but Cavendish was probably ordered to obtain the list so her master could then go make puppets of them all.  Burning the list was probably preferable so they could not go try and protect them all.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 09:27:33 PM »
I think the index was a list of all of the known 'mages' like Folly and her master. 

The big bad that folly confronted in her dream attempted to control her and failed.  but Cavendish was probably ordered to obtain the list so her master could then go make puppets of them all.  Burning the list was probably preferable so they could not go try and protect them all.
I dont think it's that new, not something that gets maintained and updated.  Then it wouldnt be the book that is valuable, but rather teh organization that is maintaining it.  But I was thinking similarly; Im guessing it's an Index of Bloodlines and will detail the initial Warriorborn and the initial Etherealists, whom I think may both be the result of genetic manipulation. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 08:09:09 AM »
What if every spire has a security system and the index is a book that holds the codes to activate it?

They could kill everyone in the spire with that if there were inactive turrets they could turn on
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 03:49:20 PM »
What if every spire has a security system and the index is a book that holds the codes to activate it?

They could kill everyone in the spire with that if there were inactive turrets they could turn on
The Spirearch said is contained "Names" Im not sure how that would translate to activation codes, but it could work I suppose.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 05:35:13 PM »
The Spirearch said is contained "Names" Im not sure how that would translate to activation codes, but it could work I suppose.
Usernames and passwords.

Quote from: The index
Admin/Admin
User/Password123
AndersonJ/NeoBluepill
You know, something like that
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 05:44:55 PM »
Swordfish.  The password is always Swordfish.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline mikejramsey

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »
I am with #17.  While reading it my thought went to a list of Etherists.  They are powerful defenders of the Spire and perhaps are especially deadly to Cavendish's master(s).  If I was the Spirearch I would want to keep a force of Etherists around.  I would want to hide their numbers and identities (make my enemy uncertain as to the forces that they face and to protect those Etherist from assassination/co-option). Perhaps brother Vincent and the Brothers of the Way have a role in training them. 

But Jim Butcher is a really good writer and I would not be surprised if it turns out to be something that we can't guess.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 10:20:20 PM »
The Etherealists are all part of ancient bloodlines that crossed with The Enemy (which is where they get their innate Etheric abilities)?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 05:39:11 AM »
I wonder how Albion was the place that multiple copies of this book was there. If it was such a priority to obtain, there must be other copies in other spires. It would be easie to get than enemy territory. Sure they wanted to destroy every copy there, so why not take them with you. That way Albion has none, while they have many. With the destruction of the library, and death of its keepers, no one could say it survived.
k moinuddin

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 05:46:44 AM »
I wondered if there were no other copies in the other Wayist temples (I mean, in the other spires)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 09:43:43 PM »
Wayist might become some kind of ally against the big bad, not sure about the enemy spire.
k moinuddin

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 02:25:26 PM »
Wayist might become some kind of ally against the big bad, not sure about the enemy spire.
Entirely possible, it's a common pattern. 

But I wonder if it's as simple as they are the one's in Albion that are most concerned with preserving knowledge.  Their operation was largely about transcription and preservation, reminiscent of the christian monasteries during the Dark Ages.  Once we see another culturally distinct Spire, we may find something else taking that role, a University perhaps?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »
eh...why not the same Wayists?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)