Author Topic: Does anyone else picture Folly as...  (Read 27779 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else picture Folly as...
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 10:20:18 PM »
Journeyman is quite the Scotty, but Gwen is different of all.  To be honest, I don't see the Firefly remembrance, except because it's a private ship , of course.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
Journeyman is quite the Scotty, but Gwen is different of all.  To be honest, I don't see the Firefly remembrance, except because it's a private ship , of course.
There is a particular scene that opens with laying on the ground under a panel connecting things, and there was a line in the Firefly (Train Job) Commentary that always stuck with me talking about Caylee's intro in that scene and how crawling out from under a panel like that is universal TV language for Ships Mechanic/Engineer, or something to that effect.  So when Gwen was grease-covered in the engine room, one that has a similarly physical and tactile Engine in the middle, it sort of anchored to two together in my mind, even if it's not strictly rational  :-[
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 10:34:07 PM »
Oh, absolutely. I also described her as getting "all Kaylee". Of course I was reminded of her. It's only that, as you said, it's in the looks not in the character.
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 10:36:08 PM »
Oh, absolutely. I also described her as getting "all Kaylee". Of course I was reminded of her. It's only that, as you said, it's in the looks not in the character.
(click to show/hide)
I was half-expecting a scene where
(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 10:39:32 PM »
I had not thought that, but I would have liked it too.
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 12:59:46 PM »
I had not thought that, but I would have liked it too.
(click to show/hide)
Agreed, though I expect
(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Rygar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 01:38:50 PM »
Agreed, though I expect
(click to show/hide)

Nah, that duel established Cats as citizens of the Spire.  It's totally coming back up.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 02:09:57 PM »
Nah, that duel established Cats as citizens of the Spire.  It's totally coming back up.
Nah, the Duel just provided a convenient forum to announce the Spirearch's proclamation that did so.  Now that the moment is past it makes no difference whether Reggie gets Satisfaction from somebody who is now quite possibly considered a war hero. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »
Agreed, though I expect
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Rygar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »
Nah, the Duel just provided a convenient forum to announce the Spirearch's proclamation that did so.  Now that the moment is past it makes no difference whether Reggie gets Satisfaction from somebody who is now quite possibly considered a war hero.

Well that depends.  That coming out during the duel will ensure it isn't forgotten, and I'm of the opinion that the actions of the inquisition won't be widely known.  I'd be very surprised if it isn't at least addressed as having occurred/been resolved between volumes.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2015, 05:54:18 PM »
Well that depends.  That coming out during the duel will ensure it isn't forgotten, and I'm of the opinion that the actions of the inquisition won't be widely known.  I'd be very surprised if it isn't at least addressed as having occurred/been resolved between volumes.
Possible, but I dont think they'll bother with that much pointless theater when they have a war to fight.  The duel was simply a convenient Forum for the announcement, but I actually do think they'll forget about it, and quickly,
what with the war and the catastrophic loss of the shipyard.
The only way it would still go forward was if Reggie pushed the issue, and he'd been expecting to avoid the whole thing on a technicality; I expect he was looking for a way out of the whole mess even before the attack distracted everyone. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline DeaSis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »
Captain Grimm reminds me more of Captain Lawrence from the Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik than Mal.

Yes!!!!!

Offline Silentbrick

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2019, 09:11:54 PM »
Yes!!!!!

Definitely Not.  After about book 3, the Temeraire series got so bad I stopped reading it.  Which is unusual for me as the only other series I've stopped reading is GOT.  Cause I hated everyone and wanted them all to die.  Horribly.  Somewhere away from me.

Anyway, Grimm isn't like Mal or Captain Laurence.  Grimm strikes me as being a Navy version of Sharpe from Sharpe's Rifles.  He's not as much of a ladies man but he gets the job done, however he can, regardless of the cost to himself while trying to preserve his men.
"No Nuke Too Big, No Target Too Small"

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2019, 09:59:14 PM »
Definitely Not.  After about book 3, the Temeraire series got so bad I stopped reading it.  Which is unusual for me as the only other series I've stopped reading is GOT.  Cause I hated everyone and wanted them all to die.  Horribly.  Somewhere away from me.

Anyway, Grimm isn't like Mal or Captain Laurence.  Grimm strikes me as being a Navy version of Sharpe from Sharpe's Rifles.  He's not as much of a ladies man but he gets the job done, however he can, regardless of the cost to himself while trying to preserve his men.

LOL at GOT. I will never read it, because the characters I like are (in general) dead, and many I want to see dead are still alive. Particularly one Stark.
Missing you, Md